Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system


White_Unifier
+1
#1
Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system | CBC News

If the Federal Government wants to cease all non-essential services on that day, by all means, but don't impose it onto the private sector: we have enough statutory holidays, thank you very much.

There's a reason veterans oppose making Remembrance Day a statutory holiday: they want to keep it a solemn day of remembrance and not make it an excuse to have drunken parties. Perhaps we should bear that in mind when considering whether to make this new day a nationwide statutory holiday. I could agree to all levels of government ceasing all non-essential services on that day though, but leave the private sector out of this.
 
Walter
+1
#2
Let’s hope not, but with Turdoh in charge who knows.
 
White_Unifier
-1
#3
Ceasing all non-essential public services for one extra day of the year could save the taxpayer extra money too.

Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Let’s hope not, but with Turdoh in charge who knows.

Let's hope not what? I'd mentioned a few different things in my post.

And thanks for the Reddie, Walter. I assume an explanation is forthcoming? I thought you of all people would be in favour of saving the taxpayer some money and keeping the government out of the private sector.
 
Liberalman
+1
#4
Those poor aborigionals blaming John A.for their hardships this guy wanted to educate these children but the religiouse organization caused the abuse the same place they worship in.
 
White_Unifier
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Those poor aborigionals blaming John A.for their hardships this guy wanted to educate these children but the religiouse organization caused the abuse the same place they worship in.

The government chose to make those arrangements with the churches. However, it's not private businesses but the government (as is often the case) that committed these crimes so we should leave the private sector out of it.

If the Federal Government insists on imposing this new holiday onto the private sector too, then the Government should at least have make this new holiday replace one of the presently-existing ones so as to keep the same number of holidays as we presently have.
 
Mowich
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system | CBC News

If the Federal Government wants to cease all non-essential services on that day, by all means, but don't impose it onto the private sector: we have enough statutory holidays, thank you very much.

There's a reason veterans oppose making Remembrance Day a statutory holiday: they want to keep it a solemn day of remembrance and not make it an excuse to have drunken parties. Perhaps we should bear that in mind when considering whether to make this new day a nationwide statutory holiday. I could agree to all levels of government ceasing all non-essential services on that day though, but leave the private sector out of this.


"The overall picture is that it is important to have that day set aside so Canadians continually get it and will never ever forget the impact of genocide in the residential schools on Indigenous peoples," Perry Bellegarde, national chief of the Assembly of First Nations (AFN), said in an interview with the Globe and Mail, which first reported the government is in the advanced stages of creating the holiday.

Later, in an interview with CBC's Power & Politics, the national chief said the day could be an occasion for nationwide educational activities to help all Canadians "learn from the past."

"It is a dark chapter. I don't call it cultural genocide of our people. I call it genocide, because that's what the residential schools tried to do ... to wipe out First Nations people."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ott...ools-1.4786229
 
Walter
+2
#7
Residential school problems is mostly bullshit.
 
Mowich
+4
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Residential school problems is mostly bullshit.


Abo activists would disagree, Walter. But then they are all too willing to completely fictionalize accounts of what happened and muzzle their own people in order to prevent the 'good stories' from coming out.
 
Walter
+3
#9
As I have posted umpteen times, “Open the books.”
 
White_Unifier
-1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

"The overall picture is that it is important to have that day set aside so Canadians continually get it and will never ever forget the impact of genocide in the residential schools on Indigenous peoples," Perry Bellegarde, national chief of the Assembly of First Nations (AFN), said in an interview with the Globe and Mail, which first reported the government is in the advanced stages of creating the holiday.

Later, in an interview with CBC's Power & Politics, the national chief said the day could be an occasion for nationwide educational activities to help all Canadians "learn from the past."

"It is a dark chapter. I don't call it cultural genocide of our people. I call it genocide, because that's what the residential schools tried to do ... to wipe out First Nations people."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ott...ools-1.4786229

I get that. I still don't understand why we couldn't make it an official holiday only for non-essential government services. Why must it apply across the board to the private sector too? Even in the limited capacity I mentioned, that would be more than enough for us to remember. Look at Remembrance Day. Not official in most provinces yet people still commemorate it, no?

Thanks for the reddie, walter.

So where do you stand? do you think this holiday should apply to the private sector too?
Last edited by White_Unifier; Aug 15th, 2018 at 05:55 PM..
 
Decapoda
+2
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system | CBC News

If the Federal Government wants to cease all non-essential services on that day, by all means, but don't impose it onto the private sector: we have enough statutory holidays, thank you very much.

No fireworks allowed, it will only end badly.

Man charged after fireworks set off towards ‘Justice for Our Stolen Children’ camp
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#12
I am always in favour of more days off. I like the 06/21 date better as it has a better chance of good weather. Maybe they can force it to be on a Monday such that we could get a long weekend as well.
 
White_Unifier
-1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Decapoda View Post

No fireworks allowed, it will only end badly.

Man charged after fireworks set off towards ‘Justice for Our Stolen Children’ camp

Laws against assault exist already, though I think we should tighten our laws pertaining to noise and air pollution caused by fireworks. Maybe ban them at least in urban centres.

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I am always in favour of more days off. I like the 06/21 date better as it has a better chance of good weather. Maybe they can force it to be on a Monday such that we could get a long weekend as well.

You see? My point exactly. If we make it a statutory holiday, it would soon degenerate into an excuse for parties.If the goal is for it to serve as a solemn day, then we might want to take some notes from some veterans who oppose making Remembrance Day a Statutory holiday.

Now I suppose I could see a twist to this. If let's say that day was the last day that the last residential school closed its door for good in 1996 (which I presume would have been around the end of the school year just before Summer break, though I'd have to look into it), then it could be made into a celebratory holiday rather than a mournful one. But even then, we have enough statutory holidays already.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+3 / -1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

You see? My point exactly. If we make it a statutory holiday, it would soon degenerate into an excuse for parties.If the goal is for it to serve as a solemn day, then we might want to take some notes from some veterans who oppose making Remembrance Day a Statutory holiday.

Now I suppose I could see a twist to this. If let's say that day was the last day that the last residential school closed its door for good in 1996 (which I presume would have been around the end of the school year just before Summer break, though I'd have to look into it), then it could be made into a celebratory holiday rather than a mournful one. But even then, we have enough statutory holidays already.

Either make it a stat holiday or nothing at all. But we do not have enough. We never have enough.


I will choose to do with the day what I want. I am not going to be told to feel guilty for something I had no control over or say in.
 
White_Unifier
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Either make it a stat holiday or nothing at all. But we do not have enough. We never have enough.


I will choose to do with the day what I want. I am not going to be told to feel guilty for something I had no control over or say in.

If you think we don't have enough days off, then why not just increase the number of personal holidays allowed rather than force the whole country to take the same day off work?

That said, let me entertain you a bit. If the government should insist on a statutory holiday for the private sector too, then why not stagger it? For example, the Government could make both the first day of Spring and the first day of Summer commemorative days, with an employer being required to give an employee one of those two days off each year but not both.

Most likely, an employer would let employees choose but if they all choose the same day, then maybe let them choose by order of seniority in the company.
 
MHz
-2
#16
Turning 100 years of torturing and murdering children into a celebration rather than a blight on our past really deserves some sort of comment all by itself. (considering the lack of any formal criminal charges bringing a decade of trials) The long list of achievements by the graduates of said schools would include who exactly? Surely a long list is available. 'Set my People Free' would be the theme of the parades today.
 
White_Unifier
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Turning 100 years of torturing and murdering children into a celebration rather than a blight on our past really deserves some sort of comment all by itself. (considering the lack of any formal criminal charges bringing a decade of trials) The long list of achievements by the graduates of said schools would include who exactly? Surely a long list is available. 'Set my People Free' would be the theme of the parades today.

If we want it to be a mournful day, then it's probably not a good idea to make it a statutory holiday.

I already have an avatar picked out to commemorate the day.
 
MHz
#18
How about a criminal case and a settlement, a big ass one so every Rez in North America can start their own rehabs to undo the damage that was done to them.

When their people show that the 'traditional medicines' can cure addiction to things like booze then it might also be useful in treating lingering effects of being a refugee or stress related to being trapped in a war zone. There are some studies that point to magic mushrooms being helpful in treating chronic addiction to booze. That doesn't mean that wouldn't make a great name for a rehab site.
Timothy Leary Rehab and Optics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU8x8mLVALU
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

If you think we don't have enough days off, then why not just increase the number of personal holidays allowed rather than force the whole country to take the same day off work?


I am not the one adding holidays. Mr. Trudeau is. I am in favour of him doing it simply because I will enjoy the day off. If he decides to do nothing, I am ok with that as well. But don't make it a quazi-holiday where we all have to apologize for something we didn't do ... and not get the day off.


Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

That said, let me entertain you a bit. If the government should insist on a statutory holiday for the private sector too, then why not stagger it? For example, the Government could make both the first day of Spring and the first day of Summer commemorative days, with an employer being required to give an employee one of those two days off each year but not both.

Most likely, an employer would let employees choose but if they all choose the same day, then maybe let them choose by order of seniority in the company.


Logistical nightmares. Some things would be open or closed.
 
White_Unifier
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I am not the one adding holidays. Mr. Trudeau is. I am in favour of him doing it simply because I will enjoy the day off. If he decides to do nothing, I am ok with that as well. But don't make it a quazi-holiday where we all have to apologize for something we didn't do ... and not get the day off.





Logistical nightmares. Some things would be open or closed.

I doubt it. Most employers would probably just give half of their staff one day off and the other half the other day off and then just hold off on any non-essential work on those days, the remaining staff all on the front lines serving customers.

Also, does anyone force you to commemorate Remembrance day?

And to be honest, I've never apologized to anyone for the residential school system and no one's ever expected me to. I challenge you to find one quote from an indigenous person in a position of authority who has ever expected each and every Canadian to apologize. No, it's the Government of Canada that apologized.

The purpose of the holiday is not to apologize, but to remember.

I disagree that we need such a day though.
 
MHz
#21
Most 'Indians' in the movies are blacks rather than they come from the First Nations. If the Feds wanted them to be having national exposure they would be. Suppression is the tone for the last 150 years and it will be the same for the next 150 years.
With the small budget that can be scrapped together they would be better off developing a on-line game that uses elements from their past, be it fiction, myth or fact based. The closer it is to the actual past the closer you are to having a record that will stay on the records as the older generations die and the stories they have go with them.
 
Hoid
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system | CBC News

If the Federal Government wants to cease all non-essential services on that day, by all means, but don't impose it onto the private sector: we have enough statutory holidays, thank you very much.

There's a reason veterans oppose making Remembrance Day a statutory holiday: they want to keep it a solemn day of remembrance and not make it an excuse to have drunken parties. Perhaps we should bear that in mind when considering whether to make this new day a nationwide statutory holiday. I could agree to all levels of government ceasing all non-essential services on that day though, but leave the private sector out of this.

its up to each province and territory what stats they give.

you are pretty hilarious.
 
pgs
+3
#23
Good let’s call it National Chug day and all get stupid drunk .
 
White_Unifier
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

its up to each province and territory what stats they give.

you are pretty hilarious.

Provincial stat days do not apply to Federally-regulated institutions. I was speaking generally to include both federally and provincially-regulated institutions.
 
taxslave
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system | CBC News

If the Federal Government wants to cease all non-essential services on that day, by all means, but don't impose it onto the private sector: we have enough statutory holidays, thank you very much.

There's a reason veterans oppose making Remembrance Day a statutory holiday: they want to keep it a solemn day of remembrance and not make it an excuse to have drunken parties. Perhaps we should bear that in mind when considering whether to make this new day a nationwide statutory holiday. I could agree to all levels of government ceasing all non-essential services on that day though, but leave the private sector out of this.

Will they be destroying statues of former PMs on that day to be inclusive?

Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

The government chose to make those arrangements with the churches. However, it's not private businesses but the government (as is often the case) that committed these crimes so we should leave the private sector out of it.

If the Federal Government insists on imposing this new holiday onto the private sector too, then the Government should at least have make this new holiday replace one of the presently-existing ones so as to keep the same number of holidays as we presently have.

In that case do it December 25.
 
White_Unifier
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Will they be destroying statues of former PMs on that day to be inclusive?



In that case do it December 25.

Saves money on the Government removing them, no?
 
taxslave
+1
#27
They don't need to be removed
 
White_Unifier
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Will they be destroying statues of former PMs on that day to be inclusive?



In that case do it December 25.

Not a bad idea. The Government could officially recognize 25 December as Christmas Day and Reconciliation Day. Problem solved. You're a genius.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

They don't need to be removed

No they don't.
 
Curious Cdn
+4
#29
I would go along with it IF Remembrance Day is made a mandatory Stat. Holiday before it.

Remember our Warriers. The F.N. people that I know (who admittedly are all Mohawk) would agree with that. I can't put words in the their mouths but I do know that the Warrier is a central part of their culture and they proudly serve in disproportionately large numbers on both sides of the border.

Honour our Warriors, first.

The Liberals never will, of course.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+5
#30
NAFTA's a disaster, we have finally pissed off the Saudis, we're in a trade war with our biggest trading partner and the answer to all that is a holiday celebrating the residential school debacle.



Yes, yes, that's just what we need.


The Pander Bear Strikes Again.