Latest Federal Polls

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
C 40%, L 30%, NDP 19%
Progs are shitting their pants.
Always remember polls said Mrs. Clinton would be POTUS.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Looks like Lil Potato is in full self-destruct mode.

March 19, 2018 – The passage of time appears to have done nothing to soothe Canadian voters irritated with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau since his highly criticized passage to India last month.

The public has overwhelmingly thrown their support behind the PCs

Poor JT - he fall down & go BOOM!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Trudeau's Liberals did not exactly sweep the place last time. He has never had majority support but parties seldom do in the Canadian system.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
OH look!

3 people out of 10 now think the conservative party is good

That must mean being a right wing moron is normal.

justlooking

Council Member
May 19, 2017
C 40%, L 30%, NDP 19%
Progs are shitting their pants.
Always remember polls said Mrs. Clinton would be POTUS.

Is this saying that 30% of the Canadian population is still completely and utterly retarded ?

Anyone who voted for Dopey should be ashamed of themselves.
To do it a second time is clear grounds for a trip to the looneybin

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
There's always going to be a core group of true believers despite what logic and reality say

Yeah...but 30%? That's a pretty significant core group who apparently are still happy with perpetual deficit spending and prefer having an embarrassingly self absorbed, mocking, fake, hypocritical, pretentious, narcissistic douche at the helm. 30% is still surprising to me, and given the capricious nature of voters, wouldn't surprise me if he regains some of the ground he's lost recently.

I'm sure the adults in the room have had a very sober, in depth discussion regarding his recent behavior and have a game plan on how to better control their fool. Liberals don't roll over easily, particularly when power and control of the country is at stake...even when the attack comes from within and the damage is self-inflicted. I have a feeling Pinocchio's strings are going to be re-attached, post-haste.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Yeah...but 30%? That's a pretty significant core group who apparently are still happy with perpetual deficit spending and prefer having an embarrassingly self absorbed, mocking, fake, hypocritical, pretentious, narcissistic douche at the helm. 30% is still surprising to me, and given the capricious nature of voters, wouldn't surprise me if he regains some of the ground he's lost recently.

I'm sure the adults in the room have had a very sober, in depth discussion regarding his recent behavior and have a game plan on how to better control their fool. Liberals don't roll over easily, particularly when power and control of the country is at stake...even when the attack comes from within and the damage is self-inflicted. I have a feeling Pinocchio's strings are going to be re-attached, post-haste.

There's a number of factors in play here that can go some distance in rationalizing those #'s

Some folks are (and always will be) life long party members regardless of good times or bad. NDP, Cons or Libs - doesn't matter, they will always vote that way.

Also, these politicians are fully aware that they can generate traction from certain demographics based on crafting policies to appease them.... Healthcare and education (especially post secondary) are 2 that come to mind relative to reaching out directly to seniors and 20-somethings that may be more inclined to vote based on a single (or small # of) issue(s).

Lastly, we have all become low information voters and also desensitized to the reality that the politicos lie at every turn.... it's a major event when a politician actually keeps a promise (as advertised), but for the balance of the broken ones, well, we've come to expect it and apparently we don't have the nuts to make 'em pay by voting them until it is way too late

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Lastly, we have all become low information voters and also desensitized to the reality that the politicos lie at every turn.... it's a major event when a politician actually keeps a promise (as advertised), but for the balance of the broken ones, well, we've come to expect it and apparently we don't have the nuts to make 'em pay by voting them until it is way too late

Sounds like it's time to vote for inanimate carbon rod.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
The confidence of Andrew Scheer

“I think there’s a fine line between confidence and arrogance,” said Andrew Scheer, “and I would by no means presume to tell Canadians what is going to happen.”

But in an interview on Tuesday with Paul Wells—in front of a live audience at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa—Scheer delineated a not-too-distant future in which he is Prime Minister. The day earlier, an Angus Reid opinion poll showed Scheer ahead of Justin Trudeau by 13 percentage points, and his confidence came out in the form of imagination.

He named the first bill he would enact as PM; he defended his support for Brexit by comparing the European Union to a fictional North American equivalent, and he assigned a metaphor to the summer jobs controversy by accusing the Liberals of “peering into the minds of Canadians.”
On the first day of Spring, at his highest personal ratings yet, in a room enclosed by 16 glass window panels and two sets of glass doors, an assured Scheer peered into his glass ball.
“I hope that [Canadians] see in me and my team of shadow ministers and my caucus a government-in-waiting, and I could step in the day after the election and govern this wonderful country,” he said. “When I use language like that, I want to project the idea that I am confident. I believe very firmly that, not only am I capable of doing it, but that my team is capable of doing it and that our policies can work for Canadians.”
Scheer did not flatly rule out working with the NDP after the next election in a minority situation “to try to make Parliament work”.
When reminded that no party has brought down a first-term majority government since R.B. Bennett in 1930 (who was only the second since Confederation after Alexander Mackenzie in 1873), Scheer flipped the logic via his experience as an insurance broker: “when you point out that if it hasn’t happened in a while, my insurance brain tells me we’re due for one.”
To elaborate on his government-in-waiting: “I made a commitment that our first piece of legislation in 2019 when I’m Prime Minister will be an act to repeal the Carbon Tax Act,” he said. “Canadians didn’t vote for a carbon tax. Justin Trudeau campaigned, promised that he wouldn’t create a carbon tax.”
In fact, Trudeau announced his carbon tax plan eight months before the 2015 election. Scheer said he would meanwhile support oil and gas projects like the Northern Gateway pipeline, which would’ve opened up access to Asian markets. And he questioned if Trudeau actually wants to build the pipeline. “All of us lose when we don’t get what we could be getting on the world market because we’re just selling to one spot.”
That “spot” has a U.S. president whose rhetoric could help Scheer come to power, but he refuted the idea that he must cater to Trump supporters in Canada. “The Conservatives win when we have a positive message, an aspirational message,” he said. So will they run attack ads in the next election? “We will run ads that show the contrast between what we are proposing and the effects of the Liberal government.”
To show why he supports Britain leaving the European Union, Scheer sketched a continental union in North America. “You can imagine if part of NAFTA was to have kind of a super-national government maybe anchored in New York, and Mexican and American delegates could pass laws overruling Canadian laws, or to establish a justice system that would strike Canadian laws down or Canadian court decisions down, you can imagine, I don’t think Canadians would’ve signed onto that in 1988.”
Though Scheer argued the economic benefits of Brexit, Wells said, “I admit to remaining a skeptic.”
Among the top questions Maclean’s readers wanted to ask Scheer was why he is working with people associated with Rebel Media, including his campaign director, Hamish Marshall, a former Rebel board member. Scheer replied that the two things should not be conflated. While Scheer made the decision to no longer appear on Rebel Media he added that “I’ll leave it to other people to decide what they want to read or look at.”
Scheer called out the Liberals for policing Canadian values through changes to the federal summer jobs program, which could deny money to organizations with religious affiliations. “What the Liberals have done here is allowed the government to peer into the minds of Canadians to see what goes on up there, what their views are, what their personal opinion is,” Scheer said. “That’s not right. Every country in history that has gone down dark paths, where governments take on too much control and really intervene and take away those freedoms, often start with an attack on the freedom to disagree.”
Scheer said he’s begun campaigning for 2019. His response to another question submitted by a reader, “Convince me you’re not Stephen Harper”: “I’ve got my own style. I’ve got my own approach. I’ve got my own way of handling things,” he said. “Stephen Harper kept our party united … now that chapter’s been closed. Canadians chose something else in 2015. We have the Liberal chapter being written right now, and our job is to make sure that I get to write the next one.”