Conservative senator defends 'well-intentioned' residential school system

Cliffy
+1
Former head of Truth and Reconciliation Commission 'shocked' by Lynn Beyak’s remarks

Conservative Senator Lynn Beyak mounted a defence of the residential school system for Aboriginal children in the Red Chamber Tuesday, lamenting that the "good deeds" accomplished by "well-intentioned" religious teachers have been overshadowed by negative reports documented by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
"I speak partly for the record, but mostly in memory of the kindly and well-intentioned men and women and their descendants — perhaps some of us here in this chamber — whose remarkable works, good deeds and historical tales in the residential schools go unacknowledged for the most part," she said.
The commission, which conducted an exhaustive six-year study of the system, found physical, mental and sexual abuse was rampant, and some 6,000 children died while in care because of malnourishment or disease.
'I was disappointed in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's report in that it didn't focus on the good.' - Conservative Senator Lynn Beyak
Beyak, an Ontario senator, appointed by former prime minister Stephen Harper in 2013, said she has spoken to Indigenous people who have told her of the positive experiences they had while at the schools, adding many have kept their Christian faith after it was imparted to them by school administrators.

Conservative senator defends 'well-intentioned' residential school system - Politics - CBC News

Talk about revisionist history. This woman is a certifiable fruit loop.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
It's over. It's been apologized for and paid for many times over. Time to move on.

She should have just kept her yap shut.

Jinentonix
+1
While the concept behind residential schools was disgusting, not all of them were hell-holes. The real question is, did the good outweigh the bad? With that, I'd have to say "no". Stealing kids from their parents to "educate the Indian out of them" is such a hideous concept, I have no idea how any of them stayed in operation until 1996.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Former head of Truth and Reconciliation Commission 'shocked' by Lynn Beyak’s remarks

Conservative Senator Lynn Beyak mounted a defence of the residential school system for Aboriginal children in the Red Chamber Tuesday, lamenting that the "good deeds" accomplished by "well-intentioned" religious teachers have been overshadowed by negative reports documented by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
"I speak partly for the record, but mostly in memory of the kindly and well-intentioned men and women and their descendants — perhaps some of us here in this chamber — whose remarkable works, good deeds and historical tales in the residential schools go unacknowledged for the most part," she said.
The commission, which conducted an exhaustive six-year study of the system, found physical, mental and sexual abuse was rampant, and some 6,000 children died while in care because of malnourishment or disease.

'I was disappointed in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's report in that it didn't focus on the good.' - Conservative Senator Lynn Beyak
Beyak, an Ontario senator, appointed by former prime minister Stephen Harper in 2013, said she has spoken to Indigenous people who have told her of the positive experiences they had while at the schools, adding many have kept their Christian faith after it was imparted to them by school administrators.

Conservative senator defends 'well-intentioned' residential school system - Politics - CBC News

Talk about revisionist history. This woman is a certifiable fruit loop.

I agree with your acessment of this obvious illiterates thinking on planned genocide of the redman.

Durry
Most of the native lawyers today became lawyers because they where educated in whitemans school, and these are usually the ones that were removed from their native parents to get this education.

I don't think Buffy St Marie would be where she is today had she stayed on the reserve with her parents

It's this kind of information the natives don't want you to know because they want you to continue to pay them for your guilt

Cliffy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

Most of the native lawyers today became lawyers because they where educated in whitemans school, and these are usually the ones that were removed from their native parents to get this education.

I don't think Buffy St Marie would be where she is today had she stayed on the reserve with her parents

It's this kind of information the natives don't want you to know because they want you to continue to pay them for your guilt

Durpy, to what do you contribute the fact that you are a racist dick head?

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Durpy, to what do you contribute the fact that you are a racist dick head?

See what happens when you don't follow the approved lefty script and think for yourself? You gert called a racist by a white injun.

pgs
+1
Yup we should have just left them to their nomadic lifestyle , then we would be paying because we were to mean and evil to provide modern education . I wonder how advanced their culture would be if they were all speaking their native tongues .

Durry
+1
No one has ever done a study or written a report showing how a lot of the natives have had the quality of their lives improve in the last 70 yrs or so, and showing how the Whitemen has been instrumental in improving their lives.

If there was more emphasis showing how the successful ones have succeeded, maybe it would go a long way to help the other natives who are still struggling on the reserves

pgs
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

While the concept behind residential schools was disgusting, not all of them were hell-holes. The real question is, did the good outweigh the bad? With that, I'd have to say "no". Stealing kids from their parents to "educate the Indian out of them" is such a hideous concept, I have no idea how any of them stayed in operation until 1996.

Stealing kids from their parents , yikes . The chiefs wanted their children educated in white mans ways . The kids were sent to the residential schools , because that was the only way to provide them with modern education .
And they did spend summers and holidays with their families . Should we have left the natives to their own devises , and to continue their hunter gatherer existence ?

Twila
+3
Nothing good has come from the residential schools.

Children being experimented on, denied calories, abused, beaten and disrespected at every turn.

No child has ever become a better person because of the abuse they suffer. Rather, they become a better person in spite of it.

To think otherwise is to show a lack of understanding of what it is to be a human.

The children were not given over for education willingly. They were forced.

White_Unifier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

Children being experimented on, denied calories, abused, beaten and disrespected at every turn.

No child has ever become a better person because of the abuse they suffer. Rather, they become a better person in spite of it.

To think otherwise is to show a lack of understanding of what it is to be a human.

Even the T&C Commission acknowledges there were exceptional cases of indigenous children being well-treated, but those were exceptional cases indeed, probably most near the end of the residential school era for kids with exceptional teachers in exceptional schools.Those who were well treated were not the norm.

pgs
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Even the T&C Commission acknowledges there were exceptional cases of indigenous children being well-treated, but those were exceptional cases indeed, probably most near the end of the residential school era for kids with exceptional teachers in exceptional schools.Those who were well treated were not the norm.

Those that were well treated were the norm . Yes they were forced to were uniforms the horror . They through out my lice infected furs and blankets and made me wear clean underwear . The horror .

Twila
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

exceptional? as in unusual and NOT typical.

There are cases where slaves were treated well too, but what does that really mean?

Durry

Yeah, that's what the natives want you to think so that you will live with guilt and willingly agree to pay them for doing nothing.

But the fact is nobody is ever happy doing nothing even if they are paid to do nothing. Self respect is earned, you don't get it by sitting around doing nothing.

You only have to look at Australia to see how aboriginals doing nothing leads to a total disrespect for ones own society.

Hoof Hearted
+2
What's the problem with Lynn Beyak saying there were some positive outcomes to these events? Why is she being skewered for being honest?

There's greys, blues, greens to every issue. The retards of the politically correct class only see in black and white.

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Those that were well treated were the norm . Yes they were forced to were uniforms the horror . They through out my lice infected furs and blankets and made me wear clean underwear . The horror .

wow, who knew one person could be so willingly ignorant and wrong about what has been well documented.

Yeah, that's what the natives want you to think so that you will live with guilt and willingly agree to pay them for doing nothing.

But the fact is nobody is ever happy doing nothing even if they are paid to do nothing. Self respect is earned, you don't get it by sitting around doing nothing.

You only have to look at Australia to see how aboriginals doing nothing leads to a total disrespect for ones own society.

your inability to understand that there are valid cultures completely different then your own is in full evidence.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post

What's the problem with Lynn Beyak saying there were some positive outcomes to these events? Why is she being skewered for being honest?

There's greys, blues, greens to every issue. The retards of the politically correct class only see in black and white.

Like there were positive outcomes from the Nazi concentration camps?

sure, go ahead. Try. Deny that a whole community of human beings who were denied their identity and their right to self determination, were killed, starved, beaten and sexually abused, was a good thing.../sarcasm

Durry

She is being skewered only by the Liberals and the Liberal media.

Btw, have you heard Parks Canada rejected filming a native story in Banff because it migh portray natives in a bad light. Tom Jackson said the story was fine on behalf of the natives.

Filming crew is now leaving Banff with no movie there.

Twila
+2

Hoof Hearted
Who is denying what? You've gone off on your own little tangent I've noticed. What are you talking about?

Durry

wow, who knew one person could be so willingly ignorant and wrong about what has been well documented.

your inability to understand that there are valid cultures completely different then your own is in full evidence.

Like there were positive outcomes from the Nazi concentration camps?

sure, go ahead. Try. Deny that a whole community of human beings who were denied their identity and their right to self determination, were killed, starved, beaten and sexually abused, was a good thing.../sarcasm

Where is the story about how my white Forfathers strived, froze, fought and died building this great country that we now have?? And how the natives benefitted

Who is denying what? You've gone off on your own little tangent I've noticed. What are you talking about?

If your referring to me, well if you want news that is news and not only Luberal news, you will have to look at something besides CBC.

Parks Canada rejects movie to be shot in Banff and Jasper after seeing plot | Globalnews.ca

Hoof Hearted
No, I was replying to Twila. My post was right after hers.

Durry
+1
Ok, sorry, I was also off on a tangent haha

White_Unifier

exceptional? as in unusual and NOT typical.

There are cases where slaves were treated well too, but what does that really mean?

True. Even if they had all been treated well otherwise, just the principle of forcing them apart from their parents to assimilate them amounts to cultural genocide.

Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Wearing uniforms was the least of their worries. How about decent food?

Twila
+1

Where is the story about how my white Forfathers strived, froze, fought and died building this great country that we now have?? And how the natives benefitted

in deed. where? Were they forced? Were they starved intentionally?

Do share.

read PGS thread about how the natives had it good in the residential. Not my tangent really.

not that I don't do tangents....I do. This is not one of those cases..

although, I could probably go off on a tengent right now...but I haven't got anything I want to tangent about...

At least not that I can think of at this precise moment. Course the days not over and I am due for another cup of coffee...so hang on, let me get my coffee and...continue on with this tangent...see? told ya, I do do tangents...

k, coffee...

Murphy
+1
I think this has gone on for too long.

Like many other world events, the Nazis, nuking the Japanese, the head tax, nations slaughtering others around the globe, one can only apologize once. And frankly, I think apologies aren't always the correct thing to do in all instances. What was correct or acceptable in a bygone time, is not the responsibility of today's generation.

Do we apologize for bringing smallpox to North America? How about the Brits? How many French, Spanish and other nation's ships did they sink in the various wars? Thousands drowned or were blown to pieces.

Should the Italians apologize because Mussolini was born in Italy? After all, he did some nasty things when he was head of the government. He was elected by the people. Perhaps the Italians owe me and others continual, lengthy apologies and financial compensation for putting him into office.

How about those WWII Japanese internment camps in the US? Most of the detainees were US citizens. They must be owed something!

It's fair to say that almost every nation or ethnic group has picked on, attacked, killed or fought with other groups. Perhaps the UN can form a committee to create a list of the countries who, since the beginning of recorded history, were the meanest, most destructive on the planet. The UN can then chase after them for some kind of contemporary compensation.

Or perhaps we can simply say, yep, history is what it is. Humans are a mean spirited bunch!
Last edited by Murphy; Mar 9th, 2017 at 07:17 PM..

davesmom
+1
The concept of residential schools was good. What was bad was that they weren't monitored regularly to ensure that the staff were the kind of people they should have been. When the care of children is in the hands of strangers, the 'strangers' have to be carefully chosen to be of good character and to have the necessary traits to be kind and nurturing. Apparently this is where the deal went wrong.
There is no other way for kids from remote, isolated reservations to get an education that will enable them to succeed in mainstream society except for them to attend schools far from their homes.
There have been enough cases of child abuse among day cares, children's groups and churches to show that the residential schools were probably no worse than what has taken place right under our noses.

Cannuck
+1
I have no need to apologize to Aboriginals for residential schools, Japan for being nuked, the Irish for being starved, the Africans for being colonized or for the Jews being enslaved in Egypt. I also have no desire to be apologized to for any historical wrongs against my family or culture

White_Unifier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

The concept of residential schools was good. What was bad was that they weren't monitored regularly to ensure that the staff were the kind of people they should have been. When the care of children is in the hands of strangers, the 'strangers' have to be carefully chosen to be of good character and to have the necessary traits to be kind and nurturing. Apparently this is where the deal went wrong.
There is no other way for kids from remote, isolated reservations to get an education that will enable them to succeed in mainstream society except for them to attend schools far from their homes.
There have been enough cases of child abuse among day cares, children's groups and churches to show that the residential schools were probably no worse than what has taken place right under our noses.

So having the RCMP rip kids out of their parents' arms under threat of imprisonment if the parents resisted to have them go to residential schools in a foreign language sometimes for years on end and sometimes with the kids returning home and not even being able to communicate with their parents was a good concept?

Durry
I have a thing with East Indians, I think if anybody owes Canadians an apology, it's the East Indians for the Air India affair.
We let these people into our country but they chose to bring their cultural and political garbage with them and then they chose not to cooperate with our Police forces to address their garbage issue. They chose to keep it to themselves.

And then after the bombing, they blamed and sued the Candians for not looking after them.

This is like me coming to your house with a sore throat and then later suing you for me getting phenomenon because you did not look after me.
Now how stupid is this??