Conservative senator defends 'well-intentioned' residential school system

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Former head of Truth and Reconciliation Commission 'shocked' by Lynn Beyak’s remarks

Conservative Senator Lynn Beyak mounted a defence of the residential school system for Aboriginal children in the Red Chamber Tuesday, lamenting that the "good deeds" accomplished by "well-intentioned" religious teachers have been overshadowed by negative reports documented by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
"I speak partly for the record, but mostly in memory of the kindly and well-intentioned men and women and their descendants — perhaps some of us here in this chamber — whose remarkable works, good deeds and historical tales in the residential schools go unacknowledged for the most part," she said.
The commission, which conducted an exhaustive six-year study of the system, found physical, mental and sexual abuse was rampant, and some 6,000 children died while in care because of malnourishment or disease.
'I was disappointed in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's report in that it didn't focus on the good.' - Conservative Senator Lynn Beyak​
Beyak, an Ontario senator, appointed by former prime minister Stephen Harper in 2013, said she has spoken to Indigenous people who have told her of the positive experiences they had while at the schools, adding many have kept their Christian faith after it was imparted to them by school administrators.

Conservative senator defends 'well-intentioned' residential school system - Politics - CBC News

Talk about revisionist history. This woman is a certifiable fruit loop.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
While the concept behind residential schools was disgusting, not all of them were hell-holes. The real question is, did the good outweigh the bad? With that, I'd have to say "no". Stealing kids from their parents to "educate the Indian out of them" is such a hideous concept, I have no idea how any of them stayed in operation until 1996.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Former head of Truth and Reconciliation Commission 'shocked' by Lynn Beyak’s remarks

Conservative Senator Lynn Beyak mounted a defence of the residential school system for Aboriginal children in the Red Chamber Tuesday, lamenting that the "good deeds" accomplished by "well-intentioned" religious teachers have been overshadowed by negative reports documented by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
"I speak partly for the record, but mostly in memory of the kindly and well-intentioned men and women and their descendants — perhaps some of us here in this chamber — whose remarkable works, good deeds and historical tales in the residential schools go unacknowledged for the most part," she said.
The commission, which conducted an exhaustive six-year study of the system, found physical, mental and sexual abuse was rampant, and some 6,000 children died while in care because of malnourishment or disease.
'I was disappointed in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's report in that it didn't focus on the good.' - Conservative Senator Lynn Beyak​
Beyak, an Ontario senator, appointed by former prime minister Stephen Harper in 2013, said she has spoken to Indigenous people who have told her of the positive experiences they had while at the schools, adding many have kept their Christian faith after it was imparted to them by school administrators.

Conservative senator defends 'well-intentioned' residential school system - Politics - CBC News

Talk about revisionist history. This woman is a certifiable fruit loop.

I agree with your acessment of this obvious illiterates thinking on planned genocide of the redman.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Most of the native lawyers today became lawyers because they where educated in whitemans school, and these are usually the ones that were removed from their native parents to get this education.

I don't think Buffy St Marie would be where she is today had she stayed on the reserve with her parents

It's this kind of information the natives don't want you to know because they want you to continue to pay them for your guilt

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Most of the native lawyers today became lawyers because they where educated in whitemans school, and these are usually the ones that were removed from their native parents to get this education.

I don't think Buffy St Marie would be where she is today had she stayed on the reserve with her parents

It's this kind of information the natives don't want you to know because they want you to continue to pay them for your guilt
Durpy, to what do you contribute the fact that you are a racist dick head?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yup we should have just left them to their nomadic lifestyle , then we would be paying because we were to mean and evil to provide modern education . I wonder how advanced their culture would be if they were all speaking their native tongues .

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
No one has ever done a study or written a report showing how a lot of the natives have had the quality of their lives improve in the last 70 yrs or so, and showing how the Whitemen has been instrumental in improving their lives.

If there was more emphasis showing how the successful ones have succeeded, maybe it would go a long way to help the other natives who are still struggling on the reserves

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
While the concept behind residential schools was disgusting, not all of them were hell-holes. The real question is, did the good outweigh the bad? With that, I'd have to say "no". Stealing kids from their parents to "educate the Indian out of them" is such a hideous concept, I have no idea how any of them stayed in operation until 1996.
Stealing kids from their parents , yikes . The chiefs wanted their children educated in white mans ways . The kids were sent to the residential schools , because that was the only way to provide them with modern education .
And they did spend summers and holidays with their families . Should we have left the natives to their own devises , and to continue their hunter gatherer existence ?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Nothing good has come from the residential schools.

Children being experimented on, denied calories, abused, beaten and disrespected at every turn.

No child has ever become a better person because of the abuse they suffer. Rather, they become a better person in spite of it.

To think otherwise is to show a lack of understanding of what it is to be a human.

The children were not given over for education willingly. They were forced.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017

Children being experimented on, denied calories, abused, beaten and disrespected at every turn.

No child has ever become a better person because of the abuse they suffer. Rather, they become a better person in spite of it.

To think otherwise is to show a lack of understanding of what it is to be a human.

Even the T&C Commission acknowledges there were exceptional cases of indigenous children being well-treated, but those were exceptional cases indeed, probably most near the end of the residential school era for kids with exceptional teachers in exceptional schools.Those who were well treated were not the norm.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Even the T&C Commission acknowledges there were exceptional cases of indigenous children being well-treated, but those were exceptional cases indeed, probably most near the end of the residential school era for kids with exceptional teachers in exceptional schools.Those who were well treated were not the norm.
Those that were well treated were the norm . Yes they were forced to were uniforms the horror . They through out my lice infected furs and blankets and made me wear clean underwear . The horror .

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

exceptional? as in unusual and NOT typical.

There are cases where slaves were treated well too, but what does that really mean?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada

Yeah, that's what the natives want you to think so that you will live with guilt and willingly agree to pay them for doing nothing.

But the fact is nobody is ever happy doing nothing even if they are paid to do nothing. Self respect is earned, you don't get it by sitting around doing nothing.

You only have to look at Australia to see how aboriginals doing nothing leads to a total disrespect for ones own society.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
What's the problem with Lynn Beyak saying there were some positive outcomes to these events? Why is she being skewered for being honest?

There's greys, blues, greens to every issue. The retards of the politically correct class only see in black and white.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Those that were well treated were the norm . Yes they were forced to were uniforms the horror . They through out my lice infected furs and blankets and made me wear clean underwear . The horror .

wow, who knew one person could be so willingly ignorant and wrong about what has been well documented.

Yeah, that's what the natives want you to think so that you will live with guilt and willingly agree to pay them for doing nothing.

But the fact is nobody is ever happy doing nothing even if they are paid to do nothing. Self respect is earned, you don't get it by sitting around doing nothing.

You only have to look at Australia to see how aboriginals doing nothing leads to a total disrespect for ones own society.

your inability to understand that there are valid cultures completely different then your own is in full evidence.

What's the problem with Lynn Beyak saying there were some positive outcomes to these events? Why is she being skewered for being honest?

There's greys, blues, greens to every issue. The retards of the politically correct class only see in black and white.

Like there were positive outcomes from the Nazi concentration camps?

sure, go ahead. Try. Deny that a whole community of human beings who were denied their identity and their right to self determination, were killed, starved, beaten and sexually abused, was a good thing.../sarcasm

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada

She is being skewered only by the Liberals and the Liberal media.

Btw, have you heard Parks Canada rejected filming a native story in Banff because it migh portray natives in a bad light. Tom Jackson said the story was fine on behalf of the natives.

Filming crew is now leaving Banff with no movie there.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
Who is denying what? You've gone off on your own little tangent I've noticed. What are you talking about?