Wynnetario to reverse Tories Draconian Labour Laws


tay
#1
Amazing what can happen when you are last in polling........


Mandatory sick pay, shifting the threshold for overtime, boosting the minimum paid vacation, advance scheduling, and making it easier to join a union are all under consideration .

Premier Kathleen Wynne ordered the review of the province's labour and employment laws in 2015, with a focus on precarious employment and vulnerable workers.

Businesses have been buzzing about the potential reforms since the government's hand-picked special advisers released an interim report last summer, listing more than 200 proposals under consideration. Their final report is to be handed to Flynn in the coming days.

Some of the reforms being considered include banning replacement workers during strikes and lockouts, allowing domestic workers to join unions, and changing the rules about how unions are formed in certain industries that tend to be non-unionized.

"We're hopeful that the government takes serious measures to help all workers, whether they belong to a union or not," said Ontario Federation of Labour president Chris Buckley.

"There's such a host of issues that are wrong," Buckley said in an interview with CBC News. "You have workers sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring, they don't have their schedules in advance. You have workers who don't have paid sick days."

Ontario's Employment Standards Act currently does not require employers to give any paid sick days. The law requires a minimum of two weeks annual paid vacation, and the government's advisers are considering whether to recommend boosting that to three weeks.

The advisers are also considering whether to recommend a law that would force employers to give workers advance notice of their schedules.

Business, labour brace for changes to Ontario's workplace laws - Toronto - CBC News
 
Cannuck
+1 / -1
#2
Trumpites should get behind Wynne on this one. They like helping the workers, even if it means higher prices at the cash register.
 
mentalfloss
#3
Loc told me he supports this bigly.
 
Cannuck
#4
MOGA has a nice ring to it.

If Wynne can just give a few million to some struggling manufacturer, Loc will probably campaign for her next election
 
mentalfloss
#5
If it's Wynne, a few billion wouldn't cut it for the conbots.

Patrick Brown just needs to promise dozens of jobs and he'll have their vote.


 
Cannuck
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

If it's Wynne, a few billion wouldn't cut it for the conbots.

That's what he claims here in the forum but really, he supports Wynne's economic ideas when Trump speaks them so he's probably a closet Wynne supporter.
 
Jinentonix
#7
"Snifffff" Can ya smell that? It's the stench of desperation as the Wynned sock tries to stop her approval rating from crashing below the 10% mark.
 
Cannuck
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

"Snifffff" Can ya smell that? It's the stench of desperation as the Wynned sock tries to stop her approval rating from crashing below the 10% mark.

Yes, Wynne's socialist economic policies are as popular as Trump's will be.
 
Jinentonix
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Yes, Wynne's socialist economic policies are as popular as Trump's will be.

Yeah, and? What's your point? I mean aside from the one one the top of your head.
 
mentalfloss
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

"Snifffff" Can ya smell that? It's the stench of desperation as the Wynned sock tries to stop her approval rating from crashing below the 10% mark.

Actually for the first time in my entire life, I might actually vote PC but I have feeling Mr. Brown is just pretending to be a reasonable person.
 
pgs
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Actually for the first time in my entire life, I might actually vote PC but I have feeling Mr. Brown is just pretending to be a reasonable person.

I don't believe you would vote against your pay masters .
 
White_Unifier
#12
One reason I had to work from home at one point around ten years ago was that the local office was trying to to form a closed-shop union. I didn't mind that they unionize if that's what they wanted to do, but I personally wanted no part of it. Since it was to be a closed-shop (and so would require me to join), I asked my interviewer if I could work from home remotely and be associated to a different non-unionized office. Done.

At that time, I would have preferred to work at the office initially as I learned the ropes. Jumping into a new company working from home was tough.
 
mentalfloss
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

I don't believe you would vote against your pay masters .

I use Visa not MasterCard.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Actually for the first time in my entire life, I might actually vote PC but I have feeling Mr. Brown is just pretending to be a reasonable person.



Your attempt at homour has failed.
 
Cannuck
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Yeah, and? What's your point?

You and Flossy aren't as different as you pretend to be.

You both love politicians that want to protect workers from the unscrupulous corporations that are only interested in profits and not people. They give themselves different labels and you lap it up.
 
Jinentonix
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

You and Flossy aren't as different as you pretend to be.

You both love politicians that want to protect workers from the unscrupulous corporations that are only interested in profits and not people. They give themselves different labels and you lap it up.

Oh please dude. The Libtards have had 14 goddam years to correct this and the only reason it's coming up NOW is because the Wynned sock is sitting at an 11% approval rating. I guess it's time for her to pretend she cares again with an election looming.
And ultimately, most of these policy ideas are designed to increase the amount of cash filling the tax coffers. Big shocker there.

In some areas, it's quite possible that Flossie and I could hold similar views, just as you and I potentially could. But that's because I'm not some partisan jackwit. A good idea is a good idea no matter what side comes up with it. And a bad idea is a bad idea no matter what side comes up with it.
This is a good idea (for the most part) but the timing of it is very suspect. Is it really a genuine concern for the average working person in Ontario or just another transparent ploy in an attempt to pump up the Wynned sock's horrid approval rating?
 
Cannuck
#17
I don't really care why Wynne and Trump have the same economic ideas. The fact is, they do.
 
Hoof Hearted
+2
#18  Top Rated Post
The Liberals pander to the high end and the low end. The Teachers and those on the dole will give Wynne another victory. The middle class will continue to get screwed and Ontario will remain a have-not province.

The Great Swami has spoken!!
 
tay
#19
Later this month, Premier Kathleen Wynne's government will release a report expected to recommend sweeping reforms to the province's employment laws. Sick pay is one of the items being reviewed, and advocacy groups are urging the Liberals to mandate seven paid sick days per year for all full-time employees.

"There's clear health evidence that paid sick days are good for workers," said Dr. Kate Hayman, a Toronto emergency room physician and a member of an advocacy group called the Decent Work and Health Network. "Right now in Ontario, so many people don't have access to them."

Hayman says she sees people every night who come to the emergency room for treatment of ongoing illnesses because they would lose pay if they took time off during the work day.

"People can't look after their health because we don't have the employment legislation in place to make sure that they can get the care they need," said Hayman in an interview with CBC News.

Studies by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives and the Poverty and Employment Precarity in Southern Ontario research group suggest 40 to 50 per cent of all workers in Ontario — at least three million people — are not entitled to paid sick days.

The union represents personal trainers at 47 GoodLife clubs in Toronto, Peterborough and Ajax. In negotiations for a first contract, the union is proposing five paid sick days per year and the company is proposing zero, said Naylor.

Officials with GoodLife Fitness declined CBC's request for an interview on Wednesday but sent responses to questions by email.

"The compensation package that our personal trainers receive is very competitive, and on average they are the highest-paid trainers in the Canadian fitness industry," Adam Roberts, a public relations specialist with the company, said in the email. "As with many employers, paid sick days don't form part of the compensation package."

"It shouldn't be too much to ask for a paid sick day," said Love. "​We're Canadian. It should be our right."

Millions of Ontario workers get no sick pay, but that could change - Toronto - CBC News
 
tay
#20
So the Wynners had 11 years to fix what the Mike Harris PC'ers destroyed but now they decide to go for the gold. Their internal polling must not be looking good for them.........


Sweeping labour reforms — and a dramatic rise in the minimum wage up to $15 an hour — could soon target companies relying unfairly on part-time or contract work that deprives many Ontarians of decent wages from steady employment.

Ontario’s Liberal government is debating a comprehensive update to labour laws that would boost private sector unionization, which has been declining at the same time as so-called precarious employment has left more and more people — middle class and working class — bouncing from one job to the next.

The provincial cabinet will decide next week how far to take the package of reforms spearheaded by Labour Minister Kevin Flynn after a two-year review, Changing Workplaces, headed by outside experts. But it could have far-reaching effects for people of all ages and all walks of life who worry about vacation time, job security and wage transparency as temporary workers are increasingly treated like second-class citizens.

Government sources say most elements are falling into place after public hearings and private lobbying that has pitted union demands against a backlash from the corporate sector — with the governing Liberals caught in the middle. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity because cabinet deliberations are supposed to remain confidential.

In an interview, Flynn hinted strongly at the direction he is taking if he can win support from his cabinet colleagues. And with an election looming next year, the Liberals are also laying the groundwork for a campaign battle against the Opposition Progressive Conservatives, who have previously derided unions and opposed a higher minimum wage.

But as more workers face a future of instability and unpredictability, the government’s goal is “to rebalance what has become an unbalanced relationship where the employer holds all the cards,” Flynn told me.

“You can’t justify treating that part-time worker any differently than a full-time worker.”

Among the major proposals going to cabinet before a public announcement later this month are:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...ions-cohn.html
 
petros
#21
Unionize Horton's!
 
tay
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I don't really care why Wynne and Trump have the same economic ideas. The fact is, they do.

Based on all the goodies coming out of Wynne for the average worker, and if they are enacted before the next election, I'd say her proposals are polar opposite to The Donalds......


With the Ontario government seriously considering raising the minimum wage thanks to the tireless organizing efforts of the $15 and Fairness campaign, the labour movement and thousands of supporters, the business lobby is out fear-mongering in force. Here is a tool for the rest of us to fight back. It’s a collection of 5 myths and facts about raising the minimum wage:

MYTH #1: Raising the minimum wage will cost low-wage workers their jobs.

FACT: There is resounding evidence that raising the minimum wage is not a job-killer. Economists doing cutting-edge studies have found that the typical minimum wage increase does not cause overall job loss. “Job loss is more of a threat than a theory.” For instance, the threat that robots will take our jobs has been made for over 200 years and full-time work is still 40 hours a week or more! The argument that jobs will be shipped offshore fails similarly. As much as business tries, it’s not yet possible to move a barista job halfway around the world. There are still so many jobs that require human labour.

A $15 minimum wage would pump billions of dollars into the pockets of low-wage workers and thus the Ontario economy. Jobs would be created as a result of the new economic activity, compensating for losses incurred by businesses that can only function on poverty wages. As the minimum wage goes up, workers become more valuable to businesses and jobs generally get better. Economists have found that when the minimum wage rises workers get more training and there is less turnover. Businesses put more energy into raising efficiency rather than keeping tabs on workers in poverty. And wages tend to become more equal: wages for managers and other high-paid workers don’t go up as much and businesses spend proportionately more on the lowest-paid.

Most importantly, potential job losses are not the only thing we should care about when the minimum wage goes up. Less poverty, better jobs, higher incomes for the lowest-paid — all of these would far outweigh the impact of a minimal job loss even if it was to happen.

all five

The $15 minimum wage is good: busting business lobby myths – Michal Rozworski
 
Musky
+1
#23
Wynne.....buh bye.

If you vote Liberal in the next election you are....well....dumb....beyond belief.

The most corrupt obtuse government to ever hold office in Ontario's history.
 
taxslave
+1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

Based on all the goodies coming out of Wynne for the average worker, and if they are enacted before the next election, I'd say her proposals are polar opposite to The Donalds......


With the Ontario government seriously considering raising the minimum wage thanks to the tireless organizing efforts of the $15 and Fairness campaign, the labour movement and thousands of supporters, the business lobby is out fear-mongering in force. Here is a tool for the rest of us to fight back. It’s a collection of 5 myths and facts about raising the minimum wage:

MYTH #1: Raising the minimum wage will cost low-wage workers their jobs.

FACT: There is resounding evidence that raising the minimum wage is not a job-killer. Economists doing cutting-edge studies have found that the typical minimum wage increase does not cause overall job loss. “Job loss is more of a threat than a theory.” For instance, the threat that robots will take our jobs has been made for over 200 years and full-time work is still 40 hours a week or more! The argument that jobs will be shipped offshore fails similarly. As much as business tries, it’s not yet possible to move a barista job halfway around the world. There are still so many jobs that require human labour.

A $15 minimum wage would pump billions of dollars into the pockets of low-wage workers and thus the Ontario economy. Jobs would be created as a result of the new economic activity, compensating for losses incurred by businesses that can only function on poverty wages. As the minimum wage goes up, workers become more valuable to businesses and jobs generally get better. Economists have found that when the minimum wage rises workers get more training and there is less turnover. Businesses put more energy into raising efficiency rather than keeping tabs on workers in poverty. And wages tend to become more equal: wages for managers and other high-paid workers don’t go up as much and businesses spend proportionately more on the lowest-paid.

Most importantly, potential job losses are not the only thing we should care about when the minimum wage goes up. Less poverty, better jobs, higher incomes for the lowest-paid — all of these would far outweigh the impact of a minimal job loss even if it was to happen.

all five

The $15 minimum wage is good: busting business lobby myths – Michal Rozworski

Totally neglecting the trickle up effect from all those now making $12-18. They will expect a similar raise as will the next group up and so on causing a significant raise in inflation and more immediately a loss of manufacturing jobs and small business bankruptcies.
 
tay
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Totally neglecting the trickle up effect from all those now making $12-18. They will expect a similar raise as will the next group up and so on causing a significant raise in inflation and more immediately a loss of manufacturing jobs and small business bankruptcies.

Well with a lower minimum wage, no benefits, no pensions, manufacturing jobs have left.

How about the CEO's make $9 million a year instead of $10 or set Trade Laws so that manufacturers can't flee to countries with corrupt governments who let their citizens work for 50 cents an hour.....?


Precarious work is the scourge of our time. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne promises to do something about it. We shall see what.
Wynne says she’ll base her actions on a wide-ranging report released this week. That Changing Workplaces Review is hardly radical. It makes 173 largely common-sense recommendations to update Ontario’s workplace laws.

It is not clear that it goes far enough.

The problems of precarious work are well-known. Full-time jobs are no longer the norm. Neither is stable employment.

Those entering the labour force 40 years ago had a good shot at unionized jobs with good wages plus reasonable benefits and pensions. Those starting work today can count on none of these.

Instead, modern employees are likely to juggle multiple, part-time, low-wage jobs. Their schedules tend to be impossibly erratic, subject to change at the employer’s whim. Among other things, this limits their ability to search out better jobs

More often than not, they are treated not as employees at all but as self-employed independent contractors who, by Ontario law, are not eligible for vacation pay or overtime.

Employers get an extra bonus from such “independents” in that they need not pay Employment Insurance or Canada Pension Plan premiums on their behalf.

While the ultimate cause of precarious work lies in the globalized economy, governments can take mitigating measures to ease the pain.

To its credit, the Ontario workplaces review takes a hard look at two such measures -

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...rk-walkom.html
 
Murphy
#26
Liberal promises aren't going to ave them this time. Unless Patrick Brown is allowed to speak. He promises all sorts of things, but proposes no solutions.

It will be a contest of the Wicked Witch of the West vs the Wicked Witch of the East.

That will be a sh!t show to watch.
 
tay
#27
Ontario is raising the minimum paid vacation from two weeks annually to three for all workers with five or more years at the same job, says Premier Kathleen Wynne.

Wynne told the Star the change is part of sweeping labour reforms being announced Tuesday at Queen’s Park that will take effect before the next election on June 7, 2018.

The premier noted many European countries already mandate far longer paid holidays than three weeks a year.
“We have fallen behind,” she said Monday.

The government will also outline the timetable for raising the hourly minimum wage from $11.40 to $15 and reveal measures for making it easier for workers to join unions.

“People being able to act collectively has contributed to the civility of our society,” said Wynne, adding employees should be allowed to organize “without being strong-armed or bullied” if they want to sign union cards.

“I would like to see more people who are working in precarious work protected. Organized labour protects people, protects workers.”

Minimum wage raise announcement coming Tuesday, Ontario premier says - Toronto - CBC News
 
Johnnny
+1
#28
$15 minimum wage is a bad idea right now.... Need to wait awhile yet.....

Business's are going to suffer and as a result they will raise their prices which will compound with the little tax increases us Ontarioans have become all to accustomed to lately...
 
Murphy
#29
We'll know officially in a couple of hours.

I suspect that if the Liberals will hold off implementing the increase because "it will take businesses and govenment a while to make the changes." Which is doublespeak for, "Elect us again and we might do it."

That's the cynical person in me.
 
Walter
+1
#30
Libs want to drive up dependency on gubmint handouts. This policy change will result in higher unemployment.

Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

$15 minimum wage is a bad idea right now.... Need to wait awhile yet.....

Business's are going to suffer and as a result they will raise their prices which will compound with the little tax increases us Ontarioans have become all to accustomed to lately...

Any minimum wage, unless it is $0, is a bad idea.