Watson Gets Passport Back After Harper Years

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Paul Watson, an anti-whaling activist known as one of the founding members of Greenpeace, is finally getting back his Canadian passport, four years after it was mysteriously revoked by the Harper government.

Watson, who now lives in France, told National Observer he received the passport on Monday after a long ordeal that included several battles with the former Conservative government, thanks to a bit of help from Green Party Leader Elizabeth May.

“They took it away from me in 2012. So it’s taken four years to get it back and I never did get a single explanation as to why," Watson said. "I don't have any criminal charges against me in Canada so it doesn’t make any sense.”

Watson, who was involved with early Greenpeace activist missions more than 40 years ago, has long warned that humans need to do more to protect the oceans to survive as a species. He later split away from Greenpeace in the 1970s and at times has criticized his former colleagues for not doing more to promote conservation.

Some critics, including members of the former Conservative government, accused Watson of being part of a "radical activist group" that engages in "reckless" behaviour with no regard for Canadian and international law. The office of former public safety minister Vic Toews had said in 2012 that anyone who knew where Watson was should contact Interpol immediately.

Anti-whaling activist Paul Watson gets back his Canadian passport, four years after Harper revoked it | National Observer

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
political excommunication:
Same idea as galilao, also the japanese, and tesla, in the states
oh
and to a certain extent the Jews in WW2

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
:lol:

anyway...

Canada says environmentalist Paul Watson can reapply for passport
Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:22pm EDT

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The Canadian government said on Tuesday it will allow environmentalist Paul Watson to reapply for his passport, three years after the document was confiscated by German authorities.

Watson said German authorities had seized his Canadian and U.S. passports and detained him in a facility in Frankfurt in 2012 based on outstanding warrants from Japan and Costa Rica. The Germans later sent the passports to U.S. and Canadian missions in Germany. While the United States returned Watson's passport, he said the Canadians declined without providing an explanation.

The government said it attempted to inform Watson in October 2012 why it revoked his passport in a letter sent to the Frankfurt facility where he was detained. But it was not immediately able to say whether it was aware of multiple media reports from several months earlier that he had been released on bail and had left the country to avoid extradition.

The immigration spokesman said it revoked Watson's passport "in a professional and non-partisan manner" based on information it had in 2012, using provisions of Canadian passport rules for people facing charges.

It also said it would review any new application from Watson to determine his eligibility for a new passport.

Canada says environmentalist Paul Watson can reapply for passport | Canada | Reuters

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
seems to me there was a movie about a boat load of jews who went through the same deal
they were refused entry into Canada and sent back to Germany