Trumps win is major defeat for Christian Right


tay
+2 / -1
#1
Many evangelical Christian leaders, both progressive and conservative, express profound, faith-based opposition to Donald Trump.


But the reasons for our opposition mainly differ. This difference is often lost on outside observers.

Progressive evangelicals mainly worry over Donald Trumpís xenophobia and bigotry, considering these a violation of core Christian moral values. Conservative evangelicals mainly worry over Trumpís disinterest in a conservative Christian social policy agenda, also believed to be at the heart of Christian moral values. (Both worry over his character and temperament.)

One way to tell the difference between these two kinds of opposition is to consider our conflicting reactions to the departure of Ted Cruz from the presidential race.

As a progressive evangelical Christian, there was very little about Ted Cruz or his platform that appealed to me. I thought Senator Cruz was one of the most effective Christian Right/social conservative Republican candidates for president to be seen since the rise of the Christian Right in the late 1970s. The script was old; the messenger was new, and ruthlessly effective. He did much, much better than the other Christian Right candidates on offer in 2016, including Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum.

That Christian Right script is worth recalling, if only to consider its contrast to the message of Donald Trump:

here

Trump victory marks major defeat for Christian Right agenda | Religion News Service
 
Walter
+1
#2
God is never defeated.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

God is never defeated.

God also don't give a crap about secular politics.

Seriously, Walter. I ain't a believer myself, but I learned about this. God's truth is eternal, never-changing, and for God's sake (that's a little joke) not influenced by or concerned with the occupant of the White House for the next 4 years.
 
TenPenny
+2 / -1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

God is never defeated.



You are absolutely correct. Since God does not exist, God is never defeated, it's a non-issue.
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2
#5
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2 / -1
#6
Cliffy hates democracy.
 
Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1
#7
Plenty of Christians support Trump. Spewing love out of one side of their mouth's and hatred out the other side.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#8
I think this might be a good thing for the Republicans. I wouldn't count Trump out.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

That's it in a nut shell.

The process IS democratic. It's just that a particularly dull-witted constituency votes for a clown show every four years.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+3
#10
The reason Trump won is because, for all his outlandish political incorrectness, he speaks the truth about politicians and the sheep who continually vote because they believe what they know to be an outright lie. Hillary Clinton is espousing, "We want to break down barriers not build them!" Really? You guys are buying that? America elected its first black President because it wanted real change since then race relations are worse, the war in the mid east continues with drone attacks in Afghanistan and Iraq ramped up and a new front in Syria.

Those who are gravitating toward Trump are sick of the status quo. Sure, he says some crazy stuff.

But Trump's rise is a testament to the peoples indifference to being told what to say and think.

He might be a clown, but no more a jester than the teeny bopper we got running Canada.
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+3
#11
If Hillary wins the Democrat nomination or whatever it's called, it'll be an interesting election. The choice between a billionaire businessman and a professional politician who is firmly in the back pockets of big business.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Cliffy hates democracy.

That didn't make any sense.
 
coldstream
-1
#13
In economic terms the 'Christian Right' these days means the Evangelical political agenda. It has been cynically used by Free Market forces to lock up a voter demographic to which they have no real allegiance. They pay lip service only to issues Life and faith.

The economics are primarily defined by the rigid, reductive logic of Calvinism which involves radical forms of libertarianism and inertia formed of concepts of predestination and the divine providence of material wealth and of its market processes.. which is not to be usurped by government. Cruz was completely besotted by this idol worship.

If you want to find out what real Christian Economics is about look up Distributism in Wiki which was developed by Catholic intellectuals in the early 20th century to counter the slavery and depravities of Free Market Capitalism and promote responsible Free Enterprise. The two are polar opposites.

As far as the social agenda goes.. Trump has stated he is against abortion, for traditional marriage.. and i have no reason to doubt that. He's certainly not ideologically attached to the Cult of Death as is Hillary.
Last edited by coldstream; May 7th, 2016 at 01:31 PM..
 
tay
+2 / -1
#14
After years of lecturing everyone about right and wrong and “family values” and attempting to statutorily impose their own beliefs on America, Christian fundamentalists are now shocked to find out that they’ve been abandoned by pretty much everyone, including the Republican party. Katie Zezima reports on fundie dysphoria in the wake of Donald Trump’s ascension to titular head of the Republican party.

“In a sense, we feel abandoned by our party,” [Pastor Gary] Fuller said. “There’s nobody left.”

“This year” may turn out to be a gross underestimation of the cultural change that’s taking place within the GOP and America, frankly.

Trump and his followers have mostly rejected the notion that they need to embrace the fundamentalist agenda in order to win and—perhaps more to the point—that winning on fundie terms is even worth it.

Ted Cruz’s failure to convert his demonization of transgender individuals into votes in Indiana wasn’t simply a local miscalculation, it was fundamental misunderstanding of where the nationwide electorate stands on LGBTQ issues. While the public is still learning about gay and transgender people, voters seem less vulnerable to “the sky is falling” messages that social conservatives employed with same-sex marriage, for instance.

As a poll found this week a new CNN/ORC poll 57 percent of Americans oppose mandating which bathrooms transgender individuals should use and 75 percent support equal protection laws for transgender Americans in jobs, housing, and public accommodations.


https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...f12_story.html
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

That didn't make any sense.

Maybe you're just not smart enough to grasp it.
 
petros
+1
#16
Cliff hates almost everything but he does like Life cereal.

Hey Mikey, he likes it.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#17
Really? I thought he'd be more the roots-and-berries type.
 
EagleSmack
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

If Hillary wins the Democrat nomination or whatever it's called, it'll be an interesting election. The choice between a billionaire businessman and a professional politician who is firmly in the back pockets of big business.

If Hillary wins? It is already a done deal. It was in the bag before the primaries started.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
-1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

Many evangelical Christian leaders, both progressive and conservative, express profound, faith-based opposition to Donald Trump.


But the reasons for our opposition mainly differ. This difference is often lost on outside observers.

Progressive evangelicals mainly worry over Donald Trumpís xenophobia and bigotry, considering these a violation of core Christian moral values. Conservative evangelicals mainly worry over Trumpís disinterest in a conservative Christian social policy agenda, also believed to be at the heart of Christian moral values. (Both worry over his character and temperament.)

One way to tell the difference between these two kinds of opposition is to consider our conflicting reactions to the departure of Ted Cruz from the presidential race.

As a progressive evangelical Christian, there was very little about Ted Cruz or his platform that appealed to me. I thought Senator Cruz was one of the most effective Christian Right/social conservative Republican candidates for president to be seen since the rise of the Christian Right in the late 1970s. The script was old; the messenger was new, and ruthlessly effective. He did much, much better than the other Christian Right candidates on offer in 2016, including Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum.

That Christian Right script is worth recalling, if only to consider its contrast to the message of Donald Trump:

here

Trump victory marks major defeat for Christian Right agenda | Religion News Service

Most of the free world is not concerned with what a few religious wingnuts think.

Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

God is never defeated.

So after two hundred years of obummer in the white house you still believe in gawd? Should be proof enough even for you there ain't no such thing.
 
B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

So after two hundred years of obummer in the white house you still believe in gawd? Should be proof enough even for you there ain't no such thing.

Well you're going to Hell now..
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Cliffy hates democracy.

But he loves the freebies democracy brings.Like keeping his sorry azz out of jail.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

That didn't make any sense.

Not much the left does makes any sense.

Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Well you're going to Hell now..

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. Sides I hate cold.
 
Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

God is never defeated.

G-d has very little to do with the Christian Right.
 
petros
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Really? I thought he'd be more the roots-and-berries type.

The triple by-passes and heart disease say otherwise.

Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

If Hillary wins? It is already a done deal. It was in the bag before the primaries started.

What was Trump's relationship with the Clinton's like during the Bill years and the Rand "Greed is Good" philosophy?
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2 / -1
#24
 
TenPenny
+4
#25  Top Rated Post
You've got to fix that, it should read "...ignorant enough to vote for Clinton or Trump"
 
petros
#26
 
Walter
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

So after two hundred years of obummer in the white house you still believe in gawd? Should be proof enough even for you there ain't no such thing.

It's called faith for a reason.
 
Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

We be b fooken st st st stoopid
 
coldstream
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

After years of lecturing everyone about right and wrong and “family values” and attempting to statutorily impose their own beliefs on America, Christian fundamentalists are now shocked to find out that they’ve been abandoned by pretty much everyone, including the Republican party. Katie Zezima reports on fundie dysphoria in the wake of Donald Trump’s ascension to titular head of the Republican party.

The NeoConservative movement has cynically used the Evangelical Right, with its strong Calvinist sentiments, to lock up a voter demographic for which they has no real allegiance.

The NeoCons are economic liberals, social libertarians, moral relativists, radical individualists... nothing could be further from Christian economics.. which is dirigiste, morally absolutist and promotes responsible Free Enterprise, economic equity and a dignified workplace.

So Trump's nomination far from being a disaster for the Christian Right, it is in fact its salvation. The homogenous support of Evangelicals for the RP has been eroding for decades as they've become increasingly aware of its hypocrisy.

Trump is no angel.. be he's far from the Devil's brew of Global Free Market Capitalism promoted by the NeoCons.. which has brought ALL Americans, excepting a few billionaire hedgefund parasites, to their knees.
Last edited by coldstream; May 10th, 2016 at 02:03 PM..
 
Ludlow
No Party Affiliation
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

The NeoConservative movement has cynically used the Evangelical Right, with its strong Calvinist sentiments, to lock up a voter demographic for which they has no real allegiance.

The NeoCons are economic liberals, they are social libertarians, the moral relativists, radical individualists... nothing could be further from Christian economics.. which is dirigiste, morally absolutist and promotes responsible Free Enterprise.

So Trump's nomination far from being a disaster for the Christian Right, it is in fact its salvation. The homogenous support of Evangelicals the RP has been eroding for decades.. who've become increasingly aware of its hypocrisy.

Trump is no angel.. be he's far from the Devil's brew of Global Free Market Capitalism promoted by NeoCons.. which has brought ALL Americans, excepting a few billionaire hedgefund parasites, to their knees.

Aw shet ye trap you don't know. ,,Go Trump Yeeeeeeee Haawwwwww
 

Similar Threads

33
Donald Trumps immigration plan
by B00Mer | Sep 30th, 2015
16
Canadian Economist Trumps American Amateur
by TeddyBallgame | Feb 17th, 2013
0
Science trumps politics: Israeli President
by mentalfloss | May 10th, 2012