Canada’s bombing mission over by Feb. 22

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
What horrible news....

Canada’s bombing mission over by Feb. 22; training mission to triple

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada's fighter jets will end their fight against Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria within the next two weeks.

Canadian bombs will stop falling by Feb. 22, but the complement of military personnel in the region will climb to 830 — up from the current 650 — and will provide planning, targeting and intelligence expertise.

The size of Canada's "train, advise and assist" mission will also triple, including additional medical personnel and equipment including small arms, ammunition and optics to assist in training Iraqi security forces.

"While airstrike operations can be very useful to achieve short-term military and territorial gains, they do not on their own achieve long-term stability for local communities," Trudeau told a news conference.

"The Canadian Armed Forces will now be allocating more military resources to training Iraqi security forces. We will be supporting and empowering local forces to take their fight directly to ISIL so that, kilometre by kilometre, they can reclaim their homes, their land and their future."

The new Liberal mission will also include a team of strategic advisers to help Iraq's defence and interior ministries.

Trudeau is making the announcement alongside Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Dion and International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau.

The time frame of Canada's contribution to the mission against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, known as Operation Impact, is also being extended until the end of March 2017.

Trudeau said Monday the government would be spending more than $1.6 billion over the next three years on the mission as a whole, including on security, stabilization, humanitarian and development assistance in the region.

Canada has already committed $650 million in humanitarian aid for people affected by the Syrian civil war and $233 million for longer-term development.

Trudeau's announcement comes days before Sajjan is due to leave for Brussels for a meeting with his NATO counterparts on Feb. 10-11.

Canada’s bombing mission over by Feb. 22; training mission to triple | National Newswatch

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
We had a relatively small and inconsequential part to play on the bombing side, so this would be a much more appropriate allocation of resources.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Politics is getting aggravated over not being invited to a coalition meeting.

Reality is accepting the fact that we have a realitively small number of planes making successful bombing runs at an unwarranted cost.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
"The Canadian Armed Forces will now be allocating more military resources to training Iraqi security forces. We will be supporting and empowering local forces to take their fight directly to ISIL so that, kilometre by kilometre, they can reclaim their homes, their land and their future."
What a ****ing putz. What the hell does the Mimbo think the US and Britain were trying to do in Iraq for the last ****ing decade? I guess Captain Drop Out and his drama skills gots it all figured out though.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
We should believe Justine this time because he will provide.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
What a ****ing putz. What the hell does the Mimbo think the US and Britain were trying to do in Iraq for the last ****ing decade? I guess Captain Drop Out and his drama skills gots it all figured out though.

Where were you complaining about Harper who authorized the original set of training?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
We should believe Justine this time because he will provide.
Well Walter thanks for showing that somebody here has gotten the latest memo about what is written on the wall. Canada will be quite lucky if anybody allows them in to do anything of the sort. Perhaps Haiti can be the proving ground and then move south from there based on our quality of work in a truly devastated area. Cuba should already have the phage solution to mosquito bites so that area is well covered already. Hurricane proof huts are an item that is still on the shopping list.

An Exasperated John Kerry Throws In Towel On Syria: “What Do You Want Me To Do, Go To War With The Russians?!”

War to the End in Syria, Talk to the End in Washington

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
As far as I can tell, the only thing that the West is accomplishing in the middle east is creating a bunch of people who hate us more than they used to.

As long as that's your goal, keep up with the bombing.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Yes, of course, Canada is the laughing stock of the world......mainly the group of with the solution of "go in and shoot the "bxstards". . Iraq was brought to it's knees and was left there open to those who were left without their piss poor leader.

Also remember there was no weapons of mass destruction but lots of oil that the Iraq government took out of foreign control. Walking away after destroying a tribal country made progression to terrorism inevitable, in my opinion.. Bombing didn't solve the problem the multiple times it was tried, is it not sensible to at least try something different.

I feel the bombing the hell out a whole country to wipe out a minority of it rather stupid. All it does is turn out more terrorists.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
We lost that war, the sooner we start doing 'other things with the military the faster this era will be forgotten. There are a lot of other Nations ahead of us that will have some chairs at the ICC war crimes 'era'. The mission isn't to save the world it is to not mess it up at anything above the slowest rate possible.

Perhaps your assessment needs an upgrade as your own link shows that war was over some decades ago. The one against terrorist in Syria is the one that is coming to a close. You getting your memos via smoke talk?

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Oh yes I remember Germany & Japan.... You do realize that both were brought back to life by the Allies. There were not just bombed, there was the underground at first, and then careful aid in restoration of what was left.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I feel the bombing the hell out a whole country to wipe out a minority of it rather stupid. All it does is turn out more terrorists.

Oh yes I remember Germany & Japan.... You do realize that both were brought back to life by the Allies. There were not just bombed, there was the underground at first, and then careful aid in restoration of what was left.
That's nice. I just wanted to show how you were wrong is all.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It always seems to come to that when the Allies are involved. "what was left" When that becomes the norm prospective 'clients' will go shopping other places. at any price.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That truly is terrible news. Nothing like making Canada the laughing stock of the world. Way to go trudOWE.

Bombing is too barbaric, Justin would rather talk to the head honcho of ISIS over dinner and come to a mutual solution! :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You spelled Putin wrong.
JT will be in Mexico dealing in pot plantations that employ the old hippies that are now drawing a healthy Govt pension and desire to contribute something useful to the countries.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
We had a relatively small and inconsequential part to play on the bombing side, so this would be a much more appropriate allocation of resources.
Are our soldiers doing the training of Iraqi security forces allowed to protect themselves ?
I seem to recall the liberal and ndp MP's raising hell about our training forces firing on insurgents .

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario

This is NOT what the other coalition members want! They say Canadian pilots are the best at what they do and they are an important part of the bombing mission. Their bombing sorties have been important and highly successful, according to the coalition.

Trudeau and the pinhead Dion just won't listen to reason. They are both yellow-bellies! They only want to do the opposite of what Harper did, right or wrong. And the Afghanistan veteran bases everything on his experiences in that country which is not the same thing at all as what the coalition is doing now.

Canada will be viewed (already is, so it seems) as Wussies who don't want to fight. The Liberal way is always to throw in a bunch of money. That might work with appeasing Canadians but I doubt it will appease our allies. What our allies want is manpower.

Well it took a poke from the American Sec. of State to even get some kind of action from the Liberals. Ineffective as it appears to be I suppose we should be grateful for a decision at long last!