Mid Life Crisis Marketing

arob
List examples of ads that might cause a mid life crisis?

The ad copy shouldn't say the words 'Mid Life Crisis' like the one above, but rather should just imply it. The best ones just suggest the idea that you could be something else, look younger, be wealthier, be smarter, be more cultured, more traveled, and more storied than you are.. Implying that you screwed up somewhere along the way. Its a devious tactic and it works.

I want to submit to a major publication a much better version of the Mid Life Crisis Marketing article that I wrote for Eligible Magazine, and blogged on my Arob12.blog.ca about Mid Life Crisis Marketing - the phenomenon exists.. or does it? Is it all in my head ?

Does the bad credit car loans business deliberately choose to show a man and woman together admiring the vehicle? suggesting that this man who has poor credit can only afford happiness and a relationship for emotional comfort with this car, and therefore this loan?

Adventure travel always uses words like Bucket List, high points and life accomplishments to suggest that you've lived in a cage all your life, and now its half over..

Cosmetic surgery clinics and laser clinics always promise to 'make you look younger.'.. implying that its not fashionable, or even acceptable to look your age. I know Numi spa in Brampton has a Mid Life Crisis package.

Supplements industry wants you to build your body and take pills to get healthy and beat the malaise in your mind with hard work at the gym.. Exercise classes , Fitness trainer etc . show the ad and describe how it made you feel. please.
Last edited by arob; Apr 2nd, 2015 at 08:17 AM..

Tecumsehsbones
+1
If an ad can cause a body a mid-life crisis, that person ain't got much starch to begin with.

arob
no regrets Tecumsehsbones
there's no latent desires that advertisers can appeal to? You must be a well traveled individual with a full head of hair, slim, confident person with a good build and a nice tan, no wrinkles, and wealthy with a large family that loves you. Even still I bet you'd like a sports car.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by arob View Post

no regrets Tecumsehsbones
there's no latent desires that advertisers can appeal to?

Nope.

Quote:

You must be a well traveled individual

Yep.

Quote:

with a full head of hair,

Yep.

Quote:

slim,

Nah, always kinda stocky, and now carrying maybe 20 pounds (approximately 9 kilograms) I don't need.

Quote:

confident person

Reasonably.

Quote:

with a good build

See above.

Quote:

and a nice tan,

Well, yeah. That's kind of a standard option for us. (Note oxymoron: standard option.)

Quote:

no wrinkles,

Got a few. OK, more than a few.

Quote:

and wealthy

Yep.

Quote:

with a large family

Two siblings, a niece and a nephew. Whether you consider that large is an open question.

Quote:

that loves you.

Meh, some days, maybe.

Quote:

Even still I bet you'd like a sports car.

Owned an MG Midget, an Alfa Romeo Spider, and a BMW Z4 at various times. Now I own a Honda Civic and a Ford Ranger. Thought about a Lotus, but just couldn't get all that excited about it.

There's also a difference between having desires and being fool enough to believe adverts.

Twila
I recently watched a commercial at my mom's house that left me speechless. I don't have cable and have not been bombarded by commercials for the past 8 years. So when I saw this one I was quite shocked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYCE9QMAgxg

I had no idea that have an extra marital affair on the down low COULD save a marriage. I'd always been under the impression that if you cheat on a spouse it causes a large rift.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

I recently watched a commercial at my mom's house that left me speechless. I don't have cable and have not been bombarded by commercials for the past 8 years. So when I saw this one I was quite shocked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYCE9QMAgxg

I had no idea that have an extra marital affair on the down low COULD save a marriage. I'd always been under the impression that if you cheat on a spouse it causes a large rift.

To be fair, I saw nothing in the advert that stated or implied that having an affair would or could save the marriage.

Twila
you're right. I've copied the wrong commercial. Correct one below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycl0y3PyqwM

Tecumsehsbones

you're right. I've copied the wrong commercial. Correct one below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycl0y3PyqwM

Nice tits, but I still don't see the claim that an affair improves a marriage.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Nice tits, but I still don't see the claim that an affair improves a marriage.

It's at the .27 second mark. it says "bringing your marriage back to life"

Ludlow
+3
#10  Top Rated Post
Acceptance of geezerhood isn't easy but when it becomes time to shave your ears then it is what it is.

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Ludlow View Post

Acceptance of geezerhood isn't easy but when it becomes time to shave your ears then it is what it is.

better your ears then the top of your nose...

Tecumsehsbones

It's at the .27 second mark. it says "bringing your marriage back to life"

Hunh, OK. Missed that (had the sound down low). Maybe it works for zombies.

Twila
+2

Hunh, OK. Missed that (had the sound down low). Maybe it works for zombies.

well they are very marginalized and disenfranchised right now.

Tecumsehsbones

I know. It's an OUTRAGE!

Did you know that zombie characters aren't played by zombie actors in TV and films? Just a bunch of un-undead actors in greyface.

EagleSmack

Darn right discriminated against!

Lizzie understood them.

Twila
we should start a organization for the promotion of Zombies.

We would be helping

We could get famous

We could get rich

Isn't that what living is all about?

Tecumsehsbones

we should start a organization for the promotion of Zombies.

We would be helping

We could get famous

We could get rich

Isn't that what living is all about?

I'm in. What shall we call it? The National Association for the Advancement of Undead People? The Zombie Anti-Defamation League? The Council on Undead-Dead Relations? The National Congress of American Zombies?

I'll head up the legal wing. You can be the spokesbimbo.

Ludlow

better your ears then the top of your nose...

yeah that'd be rough

Twila
+1

I'm in. What shall we call it? The National Association for the Advancement of Undead People? The Zombie Anti-Defamation League? The Council on Undead-Dead Relations? The National Congress of American Zombies?

I'll head up the legal wing. You can be the spokesbimbo.

Spokesbimbo...well ok. But I want cosmetic surgery company paid for. I'll need lip, boob, and butt implants. I'll need hair extensions and botox. I'll need a rag top sportster and a small fluffy dog.

Otherwise, I could just do what I am really good at? Being friendly, polite, and getting sh!t done right and on time

Tecumsehsbones

Spokesbimbo...well ok. But I want cosmetic surgery company paid for. I'll need lip, boob, and butt implants. I'll need hair extensions and botox. I'll need a rag top sportster and a small fluffy dog.

Otherwise, I could just do what I am really good at? Being friendly, polite, and getting sh!t done right and on time

You don't understand. The purpose of rights organizations is most certainly NOT "getting sh!t done."

Besides, what better chance will you ever have to get refurbished at donor expense?

Twila

You don't understand. The purpose of rights organizations is most certainly NOT "getting sh!t done."

Besides, what better chance will you ever have to get refurbished at donor expense?

Sorry, lost sight of our goal. This brain of mine seems to have a mind of it's own.