I 'killed them all,' millionaire Robert Durst says in documentary

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Oh dear

I 'killed them all,' millionaire Robert Durst says in documentary

Wealthy eccentric Robert Durst is waiving extradition and will return to Los Angeles to face a murder charge in the 2000 death of a writer and friend who acted as his spokeswoman.

Durst appeared before a judge in New Orleans on Monday.

He is an heir to a New York real estate fortune, and was the subject of an HBO series detailing his life of wealth and privilege as well as links to the deaths of his wife in New York and his friend in Los Angeles, Susan Berman. Durst was acquitted in the 2001 dismemberment death of Morris Black in Texas after claiming self-defence.

Reuters Mar. 16 2015, 11:18 AM EDT
Video: Durst arrested on LA murder warrant after HBO 'Jinx' documentary

Durst muttered that he “killed them all, of course” in the finale of the six-part HBO documentary that aired Sunday. In New Orleans, FBI agents arrested the 71-year-old hours before HBO’s broadcast of Sunday’s final episode. He had been laying low in a Marriott hotel to avoid the growing attention at his Houston home, his lawyer said.

A former prosecutor who reopened one of the cold cases against Durst years ago, Jeanine Pirro, said Monday that his own words, recorded during and after a lengthy interview he gave to the filmmaker, are enough to convict him.

In the finale of The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst, Durst acknowledges similarities in the handwriting of a letter he wrote and another one sent anonymously to Beverly Hills Police alerting them to his friend’s “cadaver.” Then he went to the bathroom, still wearing his live microphone.

What followed was bizarre rambling in which Durst said, apparently to himself, “There it is. You’re caught” and “What the hell did I do? Killed them all of course.”

It wasn’t immediately clear whether filmmaker Andrew Jarecki ever confronted Durst about the words recorded in the bathroom, what exactly Durst meant by them, and to what extent the filmmakers co-operated with authorities.

Durst’s lawyer, Chip Lewis, smelled a setup, telling Associated Press that Jarecki was “duplicitous” for not making it clear to Durst that he would be sharing information with police. Lewis also suspected that the timing of Durst’s arrest on Saturday was co-ordinated between the authorities and HBO for maximum impact. “It’s all about Hollywood now,” Lewis said.

But Los Angeles Police said Sunday that the arrest came as the result of new information developed over the last year. And Jarecki told ABC’s Good Morning America on Monday that he had no idea the arrest was coming.

Pirro, the former Westchester County District Attorney and current Fox-TV personality who had been gathering evidence against Durst in the 1982 disappearance of his wife Kathleen when Berman was killed in 2000, dismissed the idea that federal agents would time an arrest for HBO.

“The FBI picked him up because he was in New Orleans under an assumed name about to go to Cuba where there’s no extradition,” she said on Fox-TV’s Good Day New York on Monday morning. “There’s no way the FBI or LAPD could care about Andrew Jarecki’s program. They care about this guy getting away.”

Durst, who was acquitted of murdering his neighbour Morris Black in Texas and long suspected in the deaths of his wife and Berman, willingly talked with Jarecki on camera after the filmmaker told a fictionalized account of his story in All Good Things, a 2010 film starring Ryan Gosling.

Jarecki told Good Morning America that he didn’t even know about the bathroom audio until much later, when an editor happened to hear it. “It was so chilling to hear it,” Jarecki said. “It was disturbing to hear it. It makes you very uncomfortable to hear it.”

The Durst family is worth at least $4-billion, according to the Forbes list of richest Americans, and Robert Durst has been estranged from his relatives since their father chose his brother Douglas to run the family company, which runs the 1 World Trade Center building as part of a New York real-estate empire.

“We hope he will finally be held accountable for all he has done,” Douglas Durst said in a statement Sunday.

Berman was the daughter of an associate of Las Vegas mobsters Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky who spoke out on Durst’s behalf after his wife disappeared. She was killed at her home near Beverly Hills with a bullet to the back of her head.

Durst then lived as a mute woman in a Texas boarding house until 2001, when dismembered parts of Black’s body were found floating in Galveston Bay. He fled while awaiting trial, then turned up shoplifting a chicken sandwich with Pennsylvania with $37,000 and a pair of guns in his rental car.

Lewis told that jury that Durst shot Black in self-defence and had Asperger’s syndrome, and he was acquitted of murder, despite admitting that he used a paring knife, two saws and an axe to dismember Black’s body before dumping the remains.

With time served, Durst became a free man after serving a single year for bond jumping and evidence tampering. He later had to serve four more months when he violated parole by returning to the scene of the crime.

Lewis defended Durst again, calling it an “unfortunate medical mishap” when he inexplicably urinated on the cash register candy display in a CVS pharmacy in Houston last year. Durst paid a fine and compensated the store.

“The story is so operatic,” Jarecki told AP before his documentary aired. “That’s what’s so fascinating to me.”

Topics:

United States of America

I 'killed them all,' millionaire Robert Durst says in documentary - The Globe and Mail

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I haven't watched anything on him but will for sure now

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
What can I say?

We're living in the age of wealth extremism.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
“We hope he will finally be held accountable for all he has done,” Douglas
Durst said in a statement Sunday.

Berman was the daughter of an
associate of Las Vegas mobsters Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky who spoke out on
Durst’s behalf after his wife disappeared. She was killed at her home near
Beverly Hills with a bullet to the back of her head.

Talk about a black sheep of the family.

I think i remember him having run ins with the law before he started murdering people who irritated him.. kicking in the jaw of someone who talked to his wife at a party (she subsequently 'disappeared').. amongst other events. All that went way when he opened his wallet.

America's elite.. see where an enriched upbringing can lead... virtual impunity from prosecution.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
they are now examining cold cases all across the country

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
the comment is not likely something that would turn a case successfully for the prosecution - sounds too convenient from what I saw on tv

will be interesting how this next round of cases progresses - the hand writing has previously been discredited so you wonder if the judge will allow it into trial or the fact that it was discredited mentioned to the jury

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
He's in the bathroom with an open microphone and he doesn't know enough
to shut up? He is either a fool or an idiot or just guilty as hell. I don't know
but I am seriously leaning to the latter

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
the comment is not likely something that would turn a case successfully for the prosecution - sounds too convenient from what I saw on tv

will be interesting how this next round of cases progresses - the hand writing has previously been discredited so you wonder if the judge will allow it into trial or the fact that it was discredited mentioned to the jury
they have been looking at this guy for years

the judge on his last case (the one where he hacked the guy's body up but was acquitted) was on CNN yesterday...after buddy was free she drove home one night and there was a cat perfectly placed on her driveway not a hair out of place with it's little front legs crossed, problem was the rest of it's body was missing. She panicked thinking he had destroyed her dogs. Luckily he had not. Not something that could be proven against him, but she knew.

He also had dogs and named every single one of them Egor. Every dog vanished. At one point when he was angry with someone he said to his wife (who also vanished) "I should Egor him". She apparently panicked and told him to shut up because it could get him in big trouble.

Bet when he was murdering her she wished she had not supported him.

He's in the bathroom with an open microphone and he doesn't know enough
to shut up? He is either a fool or an idiot or just guilty as hell. I don't know
but I am seriously leaning to the latter
they are saying he is a sociopathic narcissist

it took them two years to find that comment and that's what got the ball rolling

apparently he has been treated for water on the brain, they said when he makes his appearance he will be bald due to the treatment

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Whoops!

AP Conflates Limp Bizkit Frontman With Alleged Serial Killer

The Associated Press made a hilarious error (and subsequent retraction) in its reportage about Robert Durst. The news organization incorrectly conflated the alleged serial murderer with Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst on Monday morning, according to Eric Roy of Romanesko. Here’s the AP’s original post:

"NEW ORLEANS (AP) – A Louisiana State Police trooper says millionaire Robert Durst has been booked on weapons charges in that state – on top of a first-degree murder charge lodged by Los Angeles authorities. Trooper Melissa Matey told the Associated Press that an arrest warrant was issued for the former Limp Bizkit frontman and he was rebooked in the Orleans Parish Jail on Monday under two new charges."

And, here’s the updated correction from March 17:

“In the second item of the California 10th NewsMinute sent March 16 to users of the state broadcast wire, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Robert Durst is a member of a band. He is a real estate heir; Fred Durst is the former frontman of Limp Bizkit.”

Just so we’re all on the same page, here are some key differences between Fred Durst and Robert Durst.

Fred Durst is a Grammy-nominated recording artist who did it all for the nookie so you can stick it up your yeah.

Robert Durst
is a creepy maybe serial killer who blinks a lot when he is uncomfortable.

Fred Durst
pretended to have slept with both Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera for a good chunk of the ‘90s.

Robert Durst
pretended to be an elderly deaf mute woman while living in Galveston, TX, where he may or may not have used a bow saw to dismember his neighbor.

Fred Durst
is the lead singer of Limp Bizkit.

Robert Durst
is the lead suspect in three ongoing murder investigations.
We could go on… Or you could watch an episode of The Jinx followed by three minutes of “My Way” (remember that song?). That should solve the who’s-who.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Dn8vzTsnPps

Fred Durst Robert Durst Mixup - AP News Error

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Probably less so if you're Fred, but yeah. Lol.
can you imagine opening up the paper, (obviously Fred would never touch a paper) but maybe mum might.....hahaha

I wonder if someone could sue for shock inducement

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
can you imagine opening up the paper, (obviously Fred would never touch a paper) but maybe mum might.....hahaha

I wonder if someone could sue for shock inducement

Actually I'm pretty sure his attitude is "No press is bad press".

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yes

as for Durst, I can't wait until this thing hits the news with details I am completely intrigued already

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
yes

as for Durst, I can't wait until this thing hits the news with details I am completely intrigued already

Well here ya go, this is the one I'm sure I saw previously.

Robert Durst: The Media Gets Its 21st-Century O.J. | Variety

Opportunistic as always, Investigation Discovery is throwing on a previously aired episode of “Vanity Fair Confidential” on March 22, devoted to the twisted tale of Robert Durst. While it doesn’t shed much light beyond HBO’s “The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst,” the program neatly condenses the story’s highlights to an hour — his trial in Texas is distilled to about three minutes — and adds a few intriguing details to the grisly killing and disposal of Morris Black.