• No

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It is a right. If you are too stupid to act on it, that is your right too. I would rather the uninformed don't vote than vote randomly or for a Lieberal.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
It is a right. If you are too stupid to act on it, that is your right too. I would rather the uninformed don't vote than vote randomly or for a Lieberal.

Why would they vote Liberal?

It could go any way.

Getting people to care is the problem.

We all clearly care on this site, left, right.....doesn't matter. We care.

It matters....we need to find ways to restore democracy.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Why would they vote Liberal?

It could go any way.

Getting people to care is the problem.

We all clearly care on this site, left, right.....doesn't matter. We care.

It matters....we need to find ways to restore democracy.

An uninformed vote is a wasted vote. We don't want random voting.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I get what you are saying. Democracy is supported by the will of the people, the only will the people have is to complain about the government.

To me it should be a duty to vote.
When you start legislating duty, it's a pretty good sign your society is on the road to ruin.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I joined the service for a lot of reasons: a job, educational benefits, travel, getting the hell out of Oklahoma. But there was also a sense of duty in the mix. It's complicated, but there was a duty to the warrior ethos of the Shawnees, to America, and a few other factors. I don't talk about it much.

Point is I felt that duty. By contrast, our posters who yell most loudly for war on Muslims or Russians or whoever has them scared this week somehow never felt that duty. But I have not the first doubt they count themselves better citizens and more patriotic than me.

Similarly, I vote every chance I get, despite the fact that my state and district are so Democratic that the election that counts is the Democratic primary, not the general election. Again, sense of duty. Some feel it, some don't. My grandmother's probably primarily responsible in my case.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I joined the service for a lot of reasons: a job, educational benefits, travel, getting the hell out of Oklahoma. But there was also a sense of duty in the mix. It's complicated, but there was a duty to the warrior ethos of the Shawnees, to America, and a few other factors. I don't talk about it much.

Point is I felt that duty. By contrast, our posters who yell most loudly for war on Muslims or Russians or whoever has them scared this week somehow never felt that duty. But I have not the first doubt they count themselves better citizens and more patriotic than me.

Similarly, I vote every chance I get, despite the fact that my state and district are so Democratic that the election that counts is the Democratic primary, not the general election. Again, sense of duty. Some feel it, some don't. My grandmother's probably primarily responsible in my case.

Not everybody has the same call to duty. Not everybody is cut out to be a soldier. I vote in every election. I pay my taxes honestly. I voice my opinion and have worked on campaigns if so moved. But I never felt the want or need to join the military. I honestly don't think I would be capable of killing someone and if I did, I know I would not be the same person.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec

I also understand it is hard to find that sense of duty when you see parties attack each other for better posturing, or lack of sensible Candidates. Not to mention the scandals and wasting tax payers money....

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Not everybody has the same call to duty. Not everybody is cut out to be a soldier. I vote in every election. I pay my taxes honestly. I voice my opinion and have worked on campaigns if so moved. But I never felt the want or need to join the military. I honestly don't think I would be capable of killing someone and if I did, I know I would not be the same person.

I got no problem with that. My problem lies with those whose solution to everything is war, but when the time came for them to put their a$$es where their mouths were, they had "other priorities," to quote the former Vice President.

As far as voting, turns out there's a Lazarus Long quote for that, too:

"If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and measures you want to vote for... But there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong.

If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time that truly intelligent exercise of the franchise requires. "

--Lazarus Long

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think everyone should vote. Parties arguing in the House is part of the process
compromise comes from a great argument and debate. The negative campaigns
are part of the system except the present government has taken them to a new
low and stays in election mode polarizing the country. The time to go after this
government is soon with all the stuff they pulled off it should be a great verbal
light show. I'm for anyone but Harper.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If we did this we would never have a Conservative government.