9,400 jobs lost in June as unemployment rate rises to 7.1%,

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Canada’s unemployment rate climbed to 7.1 per cent in June as the country lost 9,400 jobs.

OTTAWA -- Statistics Canada says the economy unexpectedly lost 9,400 jobs last month as the unemployment rose one-tenth of a point to 7.1 per cent -- the highest since last December.

Economists had expected another big month of job creation following May's 25,800 gain, but June resumed what has become a year-long trend of weak demand for workers.

Over the past 12 months, the economy has created only 72,000 new jobs, split evenly between part-time and full-time workers.

The agency says the major setback was among youth workers, who gave back almost all the job gains of May with a drop of about 44,000, most in Ontario.

9,400 jobs lost in June, unemployment rate rises to 7.1 per cent: StatsCan | CTV News

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Things will improve in ON cuz a new Liberal gubmint was just elected.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
June's jobs data means that Canada has produced a mere 72,000 jobs in the last 12 months. That's the lowest annual figure since February 2010. Worse still is that much of those gains are coming from just a single province — Alberta.

"If Alberta is stripped out of the national total, there would have been no job growth in the past year," BMO economist Doug Porter noted.

Canada lost 9,400 jobs in June, jobless rate ticks up to 7.1%

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
June's jobs data means that Canada has produced a mere 72,000 jobs in the last 12 months. That's the lowest annual figure since February 2010. Worse still is that much of those gains are coming from just a single province — Alberta.

"If Alberta is stripped out of the national total, there would have been no job growth in the past year," BMO economist Doug Porter noted.

Canada lost 9,400 jobs in June, jobless rate ticks up to 7.1%

Proof-positive that a well balanced economy is beneficial to all.

Time to get with the program here Flossy

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I've been saying we need a balanced economy.

Handing out $34 billion a year in oil subsidies won't provide that balance.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Hmmmm --- mebbe they ought to bring in a branch of the Democratic Party which is causing a noticeable decline in unemployment.

Well, something to consider ..... ;)

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Hmmmm --- mebbe they ought to bring in a branch of the Democratic Party which is causing a noticeable decline in unemployment.

Looks like it.

Unlike Canada, the U.S. seems to get **** done.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've been saying we need a balanced economy.

Handing out $34 billion a year in oil subsidies won't provide that balance.
Hey MF, tell me if I did well.

Yeah tax credits are awesome. Wanna hear a cool one. In 2011 I bough a shiny F150. Took my depreciation on my 2011 return. 2012 it was totaled by a deer. Insurance paid for 90% of a newer 2013 ego boost. Drove it two years, took the depreciation twice and then traded it straight across for 2014 2x4 with 5.0L V8.

How much did I gain or lose?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Bad symbol to use here gopher... In the parts of Canada that are the glowing examples of success, the 'D' symbol represents dense and dumber-than-sh*t

Hey MF, tell me if I did well.

Yeah tax credits are awesome. Wanna hear a cool one. In 2011 I bough a shiny F150. Took my depreciation on my 2011 return. 2012 it was totaled by a deer. Insurance paid for 90% of a newer 2013 ego boost. Drove it two years, took the depreciation twice and then traded it straight across for 2014 2x4 with 5.0L V8.

How much did I gain or lose?

I got a better one for ya bud.

What is done with the direct, cash, no-questions-asked oil subsidies here is to way over inflate the project budget that the subsidy is based on and then make it up on the back-end by charging out huge management fees and expenses (cars, trucks, home-office space and lots of 'business lunches/dinners' in Tahiti).

The beauty of it is that not only do you get the cash in hand via the direct, cash, no-questions-asked oil subsidy, you get to write-off all those expenses and recapture 60% of all that free money.

Thanks Flosssy.... Your tax dollars are hugely appreciated

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Very beautiful. Free money is free money.

I should use it to invest in ON ventures. What is the ON ventures tax credit?