Ontario barbers forced to learn women's styling techniques

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Welcome to Wynnetario.

Barbers in Ontario are facing the prospect of being forced back to school to learn how to do things like highlights and perms, some of them after decades of experience cutting men's hair.

New provincial legislation forces about 300,000 tradespeople to be certified in their trade, from electricians to home contractors.
In 1998, the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities grouped all trades related to hairstyling — including barbers — under the trade name of hairstylist.

But the change to ministry documents and certificates of qualification didn't happen until earlier this year, and many barbers have operated without licences because they were rarely if ever enforced.

Now, operating without a licence costs employees a $195 fine and employers a $295 fine for first offences.

To get a license, barbers have to learn the new combined curriculum for hairstylists, including perms, colouring and more.

more from great leader

Ontario barbers forced to learn women's styling techniques - Ottawa - CBC News

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Awesome, her make work project is coming along nicely. I knew the Libs weren't done with screwing Ontario yet.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Excellent, wasting both time and money on something that means very little in the lives of the average Ontarian. Excepting of course those who go out of pocket for a higher amount. Do I give a damn if the neighbourhood barber has been artfully trained in the skill of dying hair? No I don't because I'm not going to him to get my hair dyed.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
And who's going to pay for this? if the barber, and he can't afford it, he's out of work and my taxes have to pay his social security. If the government, then my taxes have to pay for his training.

i don't mind paying for training for the unemployed, but I have an issue with potentially making people unemployed for no reason.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And who's going to pay for this? if the barber, and he can't afford it, he's out of work and my taxes have to pay his social security. If the government, then my taxes have to pay for his training.

i don't mind paying for training for the unemployed, but I have an issue with potentially making people unemployed for no reason.
I just have a problem with the govt creating make work projects for fellow Liberal lackeys, at the expense of trades people.

Most trades already require certification, some annually or biannually.

If you're a poor barber, people will simply stop going to your shop.

This Ontario Collage of Trades is nothing but a BS program to put money in the pockets of Liberal jackasses, forced on the province by Liberal jackasses.

BTW, Ontario already has a legislated governing body for registration and certification of Barbers... The Ontario Barber Assoc.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Barbers used to go to Barber School. This and an apprenticeship earned them their trade.

In this area, there are very few "barbers" left. Hair cutters now have to do the "stylist" route. My hair cutter done tol me this last time I got my 5 hairs cut. SHE'S been cutting men's hair for 15 years or more.

It's really unfair to demand old style barbers become stylists. Most of them seem to be middle age or beyond. Grandfather them, let them retire, and let the new breed gradually fill in.

Seems almost impossible for our masters to do something which even faintly smacks of common sense

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Barbers used to go to Barber School. This and an apprenticeship earned them their trade.

In this area, there are very few "barbers" left. Hair cutters now have to do the "stylist" route. My hair cutter done tol me this last time I got my 5 hairs cut. SHE'S been cutting men's hair for 15 years or more.

It's really unfair to demand old style barbers become stylists. Most of them seem to be middle age or beyond. Grandfather them, let them retire, and let the new breed gradually fill in.

Seems almost impossible for our masters to do something which even faintly smacks of common sense
There are no more old style barbers around here, which is why SCB started cutting my hair years ago.

I would sometimes treat myself to a straight razer shave and hot towel at Gino's Barber shop. But when his sons decided they wanted to be IT experts and he wanted to sell and retire, we ended up with a stylist shop, that had kept nothing of the old shop.

They're a dieing breed, relegated to larger city centers.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
There are no more old style barbers around here, which is why SCB started cutting my hair years ago.

I would sometimes treat myself to a straight razer shave and hot towel at Gino's Barber shop. But when his sons decided they wanted to be IT experts and he wanted to sell and retire, we ended up with a stylist shop, that had kept nothing of the old shop.

They're a dieing breed, relegated to larger city centers.

Yup. Kinda sad I guess. Only one left here, and he's bout ready to retire.

My lil' barber puts a #3 guard on the clippers and I'm in and out in 10 minutes. She does a great job on the beard............and tapers the hairline really well.

I really feel bad for the guy in the CBC? article. It would appear the masters have him in the crosshairs. Look at the guy. He's a barber, not a brain surgeon. Looks like the guy my dad took me to for my first cut. Put a board across the chair arms to get me high enough. Lots of nice smelly stuff in blue and red bottles.
Don't it make ya tear up???:-(

;-)

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
You'd think so. But the Ontario Liberals needed to find ways to employ some friends, so here we are, replete with a redundant Ontario Collage of Trades and its mandatory certifications.

I can understand certain trades but many down here need licenses, electricians, plumbers, home improvement, you get caught without a license and you're butt f ucked.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Tradespeople don't have licenses? You've got be kidding?

Yes they do. Well trained, apprenticed, and certified.

What we're talking about is the flies on the sh*t. Always more flies than good sh*t.

Then they started with some PC ...............well. Ask the Bear. I'm not a tradesman, no longer gainfully employed, and am no longer up on all the rules.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I can understand certain trades but many down here need licenses, electricians, plumbers, home improvement, you get caught without a license and you're butt f ucked.
The same applies here to technical trades. Which includes welders, plumbers, carpenters, electricians, millwrights, and so on. You get caught on a site without your licenses, you're gone.

Now we have a new one that the Ontario Liberals want us to pay for, cheque written to the Ontario Collage of Trades. A make work project for Liberal lackeys, and sycophants.

As for the barbers, there's already a governing body that deals with Barbers and stylists, the Liberals actually enacted the legislation for it a couple years ago.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ok then, I misunderstood.
Ya, our licensing system for trades is very similar to yours. In my case, I have CWB (Canadian Welding Bureau) and TSSA (Technical Standards and Safety Authority) licenses.

I can't weld on structural or pressure without them.