Priest found with pantless boy has been reassigned by Diocese 15 times since 1988


Locutus
#1
From Fark




SCRANTON, Pa. — A Catholic priest whose ministry included counseling troubled youths is facing charges in northeastern Pennsylvania after police say he admitted to sex acts with a 15-year-old boy.

The Rev. William Paulish was in Lackawanna County prison, unable to post $50,000 bail Friday. The charges include corruption of a minor, indecent exposure, unlawful contact with a minor, indecent assault and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a person under 16. Court records did not list a lawyer for Paulish.

The Times-Tribune of Scranton reported that Paulish, 56, has been reassigned 15 times by the Diocese of Scranton after being ordained in 1988 and has had three separate leaves of absence.


more


Pennsylvania priest jailed after being caught with pantsless boy, police say | PennLive.com


FARK.com: (7943404) Priest found with pantless boy has been reassigned by Diocese 15 times since 1988
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Sal
#2
they have to let this one go public...they have to
 
hunboldt
+2
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

they have to let this one go public...they have to


Oh I'm sure its strictly a local isolated occurrence, Sal!
 
Sal
+5
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by hunboldt View Post

Oh I'm sure its strictly a local isolated occurrence, Sal!

yeah, local to all 15 of his locals...they have to blow this thing wide open and start to drain the pus

and he worked with troubled youth...omfg...they've likely gone from troubled to psychotic
 
#juan
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

yeah, local to all 15 of his locals...they have to blow this thing wide open and start to drain the pus

and he worked with troubled youth...omfg...they've likely gone from troubled to psychotic

Does anyone besides me think that a lot of these problems might be reduced by getting rid of that stupid celebacy rule?
 
Sal
+2
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Does anyone besides me think that a lot of these problems might be reduced by getting rid of that stupid celebacy rule?

no because it isn't about sex per se, it's about wanting sex with prepubescent children that is what excites them
 
Christianna
#7
I think it is so rampant in the church because too often the boys in seminary have no one to experiment sexually with except other boys. If the church would wait until males were fully grown to train them for the priesthood they would have fewer problems with pedophilia. Then there would be more chasing after grown women rather than boys , but that would be more normal.
 
gerryh
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Christianna View Post

I think it is so rampant in the church because too often the boys in seminary have no one to experiment sexually with except other boys. If the church would wait until males were fully grown to train them for the priesthood they would have fewer problems with pedophilia. Then there would be more chasing after grown women rather than boys , but that would be more normal.

idiots abound.

In 2005, the average age of seminary students was 35.8, according to research by the Center for the Study of Theological Education at Auburn Theological Seminary in New York.
According to that survey, Roman Catholic seminaries have the oldest students — the average age of entering students is nearly 40.



Change in direction ยป Evansville Courier & Press

Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

From Fark




SCRANTON, Pa. — A Catholic priest whose ministry included counseling troubled youths is facing charges in northeastern Pennsylvania after police say he admitted to sex acts with a 15-year-old boy.

The Rev. William Paulish was in Lackawanna County prison, unable to post $50,000 bail Friday. The charges include corruption of a minor, indecent exposure, unlawful contact with a minor, indecent assault and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a person under 16. Court records did not list a lawyer for Paulish.

The Times-Tribune of Scranton reported that Paulish, 56, has been reassigned 15 times by the Diocese of Scranton after being ordained in 1988 and has had three separate leaves of absence.


Good
 
WLDB
+3
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post


and he worked with troubled youth...omfg...they've likely gone from troubled to psychotic

Some youth have trouble getting dressed apparently.

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post


In 2005, the average age of seminary students was 35.8, according to research by the Center for the Study of Theological Education at Auburn Theological Seminary in New York.
According to that survey, Roman Catholic seminaries have the oldest students — the average age of entering students is nearly 40.

Makes sense. The only person I know in the seminary went in at 27.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

no because it isn't about sex per se, it's about wanting sex with prepubescent children that is what excites them

True. Whether they are gay or straight it would not be all that hard to find adults to have a discreet sexual relationship with. If that sort of thing went public I suspect the public at large wouldnt care - though the priests superiors may.
 
Spade
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Does anyone besides me think that a lot of these problems might be reduced by getting rid of that stupid celebacy rule?

Of course.
 
gerryh
+3
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Does anyone besides me think that a lot of these problems might be reduced by getting rid of that stupid celebacy rule?

Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Of course.


Celibacy has NOTHING to do with a person wanting sex with under age children and everything to do with preferring sex with under age children.
 
Highball
+1
#12
I'm hoping both the Diocese and the Vatican will deal with these perverts and turn them over to the Civil authorities for a further investigation and possibly bring charges and try them. They are hiding behind the cloak of religious garb and are fakes.
 
darkbeaver
+1
#13
I'm betting that the requirements for office in this blighted bloated excuse for a human institution aren't what we think they might or should be. Neither would the particulars of advancement. Who goes up the ladder, the best or the worst? And which are more likely prone to blackmail?
 
gerryh
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Highball View Post

I'm hoping both the Diocese and the Vatican will deal with these perverts and turn them over to the Civil authorities for a further investigation and possibly bring charges and try them. They are hiding behind the cloak of religious garb and are fakes.

Hey Dummy, they already did. The guys in jail.
 
DaSleeper
+2
#15
Catholic priests no guiltier of sex abuse than other clergy
 
hunboldt
#16
Well as we say in Rome;
man's penuria of scientia est compounded per suus bellicose balatro ut is contemplor orbis terrarum ut suus tempus

However Christina is correct as the

EGO reputo is est sic vallum in templum quoniam quoque sepius boys in seminary have nemo ut experiment connubialis per praeter alius boys. Si templum would exspecto insquequo males erant copiose adultus exerceo lemma pro priesthood they would have fewer problems per pedophilia. Tunc illic would exsisto magis fugo secundum adultus women quinymo quam boys , tamen ut would exsisto magis Northmanni

Policy has reduced the incidence of abuses.


Hats off to you , MRS. C. Time to go 'full Anglican', I do believe...
 
Sal
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Catholic priests no guiltier of sex abuse than other clergy

Holy smokey, I had no idea. Thanks Sleeper:

Quote:

Jenkins said there has been no formal study comparing denominations for rates of child abuse. However, insurers have been assessing the risks since they began offering riders on liability policies in the 1980s. Two of the largest insurers report no higher risks in covering Catholic churches than Protestant denominations.

Wisconsin-based Church Mutual Insurance Co. has 100,000 client churches and has seen a steady filing of about five sexual molestation cases a week for more than a decade, even though its client base has grown.
“It would be incorrect to call it a Catholic problem,” said Church Mutual’s risk control manager, Rick Schaber. “We do not see one denomination above another. It’s equal. It’s also equal among large metropolitan churches and small rural churches.”

 
gerryh
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Catholic priests no guiltier of sex abuse than other clergy


The rate is no different than in the general public. The difference is, the Churches (not just the Catholic), tried to cover it up. Nice to see this one finally being turned over.
 
PoliticalNick
#19
It is true the catholic church appears to be be a breeding ground for pedophiles and definitely would appear to have a much higher percentage of child molesters. I think there are many reasons for this. Celibacy is one. The common situations of a celibate (horny) man being alone with young boys leads to greater opportunity. The fact that this behavior was prevalent within the institution for decades, maybe centuries, means that a lot of the offenders were originally victims and are just perpetuating the cycle.

Now while the church has in recent times been more apt to expose and deal with these people there is obviously a long way to go evidenced by his 15 reassignments and 3 leaves of absence. There still is an institutional preference to keep these abusers hidden from the public and until it changes the HRCC will continue to be stigmatized.
 
gerryh
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

It is true the catholic church appears to be be a breeding ground for pedophiles and definitely would appear to have a much higher percentage of child molesters. .


Did you bother to read the article posted by Dasleeper? Do a google search, you will find that the rate of pedophilia within the Catholic Church is not significantly different than in the general population. Since the rate isn't any different, you can't really blame it on celibacy. It's stupidity. Blaming pedophilia within the Church on celibacy is no different than the Church blaming it on Homosexuals.
 
darkbeaver
#21
The church secretly paid for the study. Everybody knows that.
 
Spade
+2
#22
Commentary: Celibacy should be rethought - CNN.com
Quote:
Surely he knows that Eastern Rite Catholic priests are allowed to marry and that the church welcomes into the priesthood married convert ministers from other Christian denominations. Surely he knows that in many parts of the Catholic world, clerical celibacy is openly flouted, and church authorities choose not to notice.
I wonder if church officials understand the burden they place on the shoulders of a man who believes he is called to priestly ministry but not to celibacy. Certainly, a married priesthood will have burdens of its own and, sadly, scandals of its own -- infidelity and abuse among others. But it should be left to the individual priest and seminarian to determine whether or not he is blessed with the gift of celibacy.

A.W. Richard Sipe, a former Benedictine monk who studies and writes about celibacy, estimates that 50% of Catholic clergy are sexually active at any given time.

Optional Celibacy
 
gerryh
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Commentary: Celibacy should be rethought - CNN.com
Quote:
Surely he knows that Eastern Rite Catholic priests are allowed to marry and that the church welcomes into the priesthood married convert ministers from other Christian denominations. Surely he knows that in many parts of the Catholic world, clerical celibacy is openly flouted, and church authorities choose not to notice.
I wonder if church officials understand the burden they place on the shoulders of a man who believes he is called to priestly ministry but not to celibacy. Certainly, a married priesthood will have burdens of its own and, sadly, scandals of its own -- infidelity and abuse among others. But it should be left to the individual priest and seminarian to determine whether or not he is blessed with the gift of celibacy.

A.W. Richard Sipe, a former Benedictine monk who studies and writes about celibacy, estimates that 50% of Catholic clergy are sexually active at any given time.

Optional Celibacy


and your point is what? That does not point to celibacy being the reason for pedophilia within the Catholic Church.
 
Spade
#24
Is Celibacy Linked to Pedophilia? - ABC News
 
Sal
+3
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Is Celibacy Linked to Pedophilia? - ABC News

I do not believe the artical links them Spade. From his own mouth he says:


Father Canice Connors, a Franciscan priest who has spent years counseling priests accused of pedophilia, says that making celibacy optional might be a good move .
"I think there is evidence at times that people do enter the priesthood to hide from the realities of life," says Connors, who runs the St. Luke Institute in Maryland, a treatment center for pedophiliac priests. "But I think that is a very small number of individuals. And our task is to identify them."


It does not link them because celibacy does not 'cause' pedophilia. He says the life may attract people wanting to hide their sexual proclivities...that is a very separate idea.
 
gerryh
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Is Celibacy Linked to Pedophilia? - ABC News


"says celibacy can be a cloak of supposed purity that allows unhealthy priests to hide their sexual dysfunction."


First, it says "can be", not "is". Second, it does not say that celibacy within the Church is the reason for pedophilia. As has been noted previously, and has been backed up by studies that have been cited time and time again on this board, The rate of pedophilia with in the RCC is no different that outside the RCC. If celibacy was the reason for pedophilia within the RCC then why is the rate the same as outside the RCC?
 
hunboldt
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Commentary: Celibacy should be rethought - CNN.com
Quote:
Surely he knows that Eastern Rite Catholic priests are allowed to marry and that the church welcomes into the priesthood married convert ministers from other Christian denominations. Surely he knows that in many parts of the Catholic world, clerical celibacy is openly flouted, and church authorities choose not to notice.
I wonder if church officials understand the burden they place on the shoulders of a man who believes he is called to priestly ministry but not to celibacy. Certainly, a married priesthood will have burdens of its own and, sadly, scandals of its own -- infidelity and abuse among others. But it should be left to the individual priest and seminarian to determine whether or not he is blessed with the gift of celibacy.

A.W. Richard Sipe, a former Benedictine monk who studies and writes about celibacy, estimates that 50% of Catholic clergy are sexually active at any given time.

Optional Celibacy

Good post. I'd double green you if I could.
the difficulty with an artificial restriction on entry to the clergy is it weakens the 'other screens'.

Unfortunately, in the Catholic church we do have a core of hard line fanatics who come up with improbable solutions instead of seeing the obvious.
 
karrie
+2
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

It does not link them because celibacy does not 'cause' pedophilia. He says the life may attract people wanting to hide their sexual proclivities...that is a very separate idea.

Not to mention people attempting to not give in to their proclivities.

I'm willing to bet plenty of pedos attempt to NOT be pedos.

Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Does anyone besides me think that a lot of these problems might be reduced by getting rid of that stupid celebacy rule?


Because if you couldn't sleep with women.... you'd diddle boys? Or, is it more likely, if you were a celibate priest, and you were going to sin, you'd find a woman to sin with?

Celibacy does not create pedophiles. In fact, saying that perhaps if there are so many pedophiles, they shouldn't be expected to be celibate, is kind of odd. Because if they're not celibate, it's not consenting adults that they're after.
 
gerryh
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post


Celibacy does not create pedophiles. In fact, saying that perhaps if there are so many pedophiles, they shouldn't be expected to be celibate, is kind of odd. Because if they're not celibate, it's not consenting adults that they're after.


I guess this says a lot about juan's true proclivities.
 
karrie
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

I guess this says a lot about juan's true proclivities.

NO. That is not what I was trying to say, or imply of juan. I was merely pointing out the obvious, that he would choose to break his vow of celibacy with women, not children.
 

Similar Threads

1
San Diego Diocese May Go Bankrupt
by DurkaDurka | Feb 20th, 2007