Toronto Police Officer Charges in Connection with Streetcar Shooting

SLM
+6
#1  Top Rated Post
A Toronto police officer has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the fatal shooting of a teenager aboard a streetcar last month.
An arrest warrant has been issued for Const. James Forcillo, Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit said in a statement Monday morning. Because the warrant was just issued, the agency said, Forcillo has not yet been taken into custody.
The statement from the agency said that SIU director, “Ian Scott, has reasonable grounds to believe that a Toronto Police Service (TPS) officer committed a criminal offence in relation to the shooting death of 18-year-old Sammy Adib Yatim in July of 2013.”

The SIU is an independent body that probes incidents of serious injury or death involving police officers.
Yatim, 18, was shot and killed in the early morning hours of July 27 during a standoff with police. Local surveillance video and cellphone images taken by passersby showed Yatim, who was holding a knife, pacing back and forth on the empty streetcar as police shout, “drop the knife.” Then, over the course of 13 seconds, nine shots ring out. A Taser was also used during the incident.
Forcillo was suspended with pay while the SIU conducted its investigation.
Earlier this month, Ontario’s ombudsman announced he was launching a formal investigation into provincial guidelines issued to police for de-escalating conflict situations.
Andre Marin said his investigation will look at how police forces across the province train officers to respond to conflict situations, and whether the Ministry of Community and Correctional Services should consider implementing a province-wide standard.
Marin said his probe will also look at what became of recommendations that came out of coroners’ inquests and other reports into police shootings dating back to 1994. The investigation will take between six and 12 months.
Yatim’s shooting also sparked an online petition calling for criminal charges to be laid. Within days, the petition had more than 30,000 signatures.

Tecumsehsbones
This is terrible. How can we expect the police to protect and serve us if we charge them with crimes for merely taking out the trash?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

This is terrible. How can we expect the police to protect and serve us if we charge them with crimes for merely taking out the trash?

I think THEY are the "trash"!

Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

A Toronto police officer has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the fatal shooting of a teenager aboard a streetcar last month.

Best news so far today!

Walter
Been a while since an on duty police officer has been convicted of murder in TO.

#juan
+1
What I want to know is, How many bullet holes were in him. At point blank range, I would expect nine hits or the shooter is not only a poor officer, but a lousy shot as well.

grumpydigger
+1
the cops were in a major PANIC. This is not the actions of highly train professionals that they ALWAYS claim to be .. More like a pack of dogs in the middle of a feeding frenzy

Walter
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydigger View Post

the cops were in a major PANIC. This is not the actions of highly train professionals that they ALWAYS claim to be .. More like a pack of dogs in the middle of a feeding frenzy

There was only one shooter, not a pack.

grumpydigger
one shooter shot 9 times LOL ,,then tazered a dead man LOL and that is not a mad dog LOL

Nuggler
+1

one shooter shot 9 times LOL ,,then tazered a dead man LOL and that is not a mad dog LOL

Yes, but the point is there was only ONE shooter. Not the mob that you mention. The "mad dog" has been charged.

#juan
Another thing. The public should hear what that shooter has to say. Did he panic? Seems to me most of his shots were into a dead man. Did he lose control? If he did, he shouldn't be put in that situation again...ever!

WLDB
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I think THEY are the "trash"!

Not all of them. There are bad apples in every profession.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

The court may come to that conclusion. We'll see.

grumpydigger
The situation was handled by all the cops in a panic... it was contain .no one was in danger .. the knife was not a treat.. opening up like the start of duck season should be on the heads of all the cops present because the chain of command was completely broken

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

The court may come to that conclusion. We'll see.

Well, Muslims are the enemy, enit?

#juan
+1

The situation was handled by all the cops in a panic... it was contain .no one was in danger .. the knife was not a treat.. opening up like the start of duck season should be on the heads of all the cops present because the chain of command was completely broken

I would agree with that. Any two of the cops present could have disarmed the eighteen year old with his crappy little knife easily without firing a shot. Some guys like the shooter, just shouldn't be on the police force.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Another thing. The public should hear what that shooter has to say. Did he panic? Seems to me most of his shots were into a dead man. Did he lose control? If he did, he shouldn't be put in that situation again...ever!

I doubt if he will be until his probation is over!

tay
The contrast could not be greater.

Montreal police spend a full day dealing with a demonstrably-violent mentally ill man who shot at them from a house with 180 guns; they finally subdue him with rubber bullets.

A Toronto police officer spends less than five minutes yelling at a potentially-violent mentally disturbed teenager armed with a paring knife; then shoots him nine times. While the other officers at the scene nonchalantly stroll past the bus door.

more

Cathie from Canada: Compare and contrast

Locutus
Const. James Forcillo granted bail in Yatim shooting

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Const. James Forcillo granted bail in Yatim shooting

I'm not surprised he was granted bail, in fact I would have been surprised had he not been.

petros
+2

I'm not surprised he was granted bail, in fact I would have been surprised had he not been.

Almost everyone gets bail if they aren't a flight risk and can afford it.

SLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Almost everyone gets bail if they aren't a flight risk and can afford it.

True. I'm not fearful of this guy being out on the street while awaiting trial.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Been a while since an on duty police officer has been convicted of murder in TO.

From what I understand officers charged in similar circumstances were all found not guilty.

karrie
+1
This is good news. For the public, and for the police service.

Zipperfish
Have to wait for the details on this before I make judgment. Initial impression is that the cop does not handle stress well--someone who tazers a guy who's been hit nine times, to my mind, is not behaving very rationally. Technically speaking, agressively brandishing a knife can be legitimate grounds for lethal force though.
Last edited by Zipperfish; Aug 20th, 2013 at 05:29 PM..Reason: spleling

petros
+1

True. I'm not fearful of this guy being out on the street while awaiting trial.

As long as he isn't armed and surrounded by peers to impress, he'll be fine.

Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

From what I understand officers charged in similar circumstances were all found not guilty.

Did the others discharge 6 more rounds after the guy was down?

Zipperfish
Yeah, too many cops, in general, these days methinks. Nothing against them, mind you. I just think that the optimal number is smaller than the number we have now.

Cobalt_Kid
+1
You really have to ask what was the intent of the officer or officers who shot Sammy Yatim. Special Forces and SWAT are trained to shoot hostile targets(people) two shots to the center mass and move on, it almost always eliminates the target(person) as a threat and often kills them. Yatim was shot three times at first, it's highly unlikely he was getting up again, possibly ever, the next six shots can only really be considered kill shots intended to make sure he did in fact die. That certainly does sound like murder to me.

Goober

As long as he isn't armed and surrounded by peers to impress, he'll be fine.

Did the others discharge 6 more rounds after the guy was down?

I do not know. Just posting what was noted in a number of recent news articles regarding Officers charged with manslaughter.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Zipperfish View Post

Have to wait for the details on this before I make judgment. Initial impression is that the cop does not handle stress well--someone who tazers a guy who's been hit nine times, to my mind, is not behaving very rationally. Technically speaking, agressively brandishing a knife can be legitimate grounds for lethal force though.

If I'm not mistaken it was another officer that tasered him after.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

I do not know. Just posting what was noted in a number of recent news articles regarding Officers charged with manslaughter.

Those extra six shots almost landed him first degree murder.

Goober

Those extra six shots almost landed him first degree murder.

6 shots, pause then 3 more, pause then Tasered.
The SIU in Ontario is Freaking Useless when investigating Officers that are alleged to have committed serious crimes / abuse of authority. When Marin was there it was different.

Also 2nd degree murder has a very high standard, that the Officer intended to kill. Rather hard to prove.
Manslaughter would have been the right charge.
The Officers training is to shoot to kill. Not wound, not shoot the knife out of his hand.
I smells a rat.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...-shooting.html
Second-degree murder implies intent to kill the victim. The Crown brings a manslaughter charge when it does not believe the killing was intentional.

Selwyn Pieters, a Toronto lawyer with considerable experience representing the families of people shot by police, told CBC News that while a charge of second-degree murder does leave the judge and jury with a number of options, including opting for a less charge, he thinks the charge in Forcillo's case should have been manslaughter.

"It's going to be a more difficult hurdle for the Crown to surmount if it's second degree," Pieters said. He described prosecuting this case as a "Herculean task."

Pieters also noted that jurors have been reluctant to convict police officers acting in the line of duty. "Rarely do we have cases where police officers are charged and heard before a jury on serious offences and a verdict of guilty is returned," he said.
Last edited by Goober; Aug 20th, 2013 at 06:07 PM..