Calgary flooding could force up to 100,000 from homes (video)

B00Mer
Calgary flooding could force up to 100,000 from homes

Canada Alberta Calgary Floods June 20, 2013 - YouTube

As many as 100,000 residents of Calgary, Alberta, could face evacuation because of flooding, the director of emergency management said early Friday.

Mandatory evacuation orders have been issued for 20 communities, Bruce Burrell said. Parts of of southern Alberta face rising floodwaters and the possibility of more rain.

The levels of the Bow and Elbow rivers are expected to peak overnight, but not drop until late Saturday at the earliest, he said.

"I have never experienced any flooding of this magnitude," he added.

There have been no initial reports of deaths or injuries.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said military assets, including helicopters, have been deployed to assist local emergency officials with rescue and evacuation efforts.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with those families who have been affected by the serious flooding in Calgary and Southern Alberta," Harper said, adding that "any and all possible assistance" would be provided by the federal government.

A state of emergency was in effect for Calgary, according to a news release from the city. Police and fire officials were driving through communities, broadcasting the evacuation order over loudspeakers. Residents were being asked to mark their homes with an "X" to indicate they had evacuated.

The news release said the level of the Elbow and Bow Rivers had risen significantly.

source: Calgary flooding could force up to 100,000 from homes - CNN.com

House Smashes Against Bridge | Bragg Creek Alberta Flood 20/06/2013 - YouTube

June 20th 2013 - An Entire House can be seen Smashing against a Bridge after floating down Bragg River.

Walter
+3
Climate change obviously caused by the oil sands exploitation. Gaia is wreaking vengeance.

captain morgan
+1
There were similar (albeit not quite as severe) in 2005 around this same time... Pretty much any community along either of the rivers is being affected

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Climate change obviously caused by the oil sands exploitation. Gaia is wreaking vengeance.

It may be a little early to jump to that conclusion!

petros
+2
I feel for those who lost everything.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

It may be a little early to jump to that conclusion!

He's poking fun JLM.

JLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I feel for those who lost everything.

He's poking fun JLM.

Yep, insurance companies have a way of ducking their responsibility when it comes to flood damage. I suppose if all damage here was compensated for, many ins. companies would be declaring bankruptcy.

petros
+1
They don't duck, they just don't offer flood policies to people in areas of high risk.

JamesBondo
some will collect premiums but not tell you that you aren't covered until something happens. This is criminal because if a homeowner is under the belief that they are covered, they may not take other measures including moving, or finding another insurance company.

captain morgan

They don't duck, they just don't offer flood policies to people in areas of high risk.

I think that there will be some real losses for a number of folks.

10-15 mm expected for today and just announced that the schools are closed

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

some will collect premiums but not tell you that you aren't covered until something happens. This is criminal because if a homeowner is under the belief that they are covered, they may not take other measures including moving, or finding another insurance company.

Tell you? Aren't you supposed to read a contract before signing it?

JamesBondo
+1
absolutely, reading a contract is your best defense. unfortunately the insurance company's definition of the words used aren't always the same as a layman's definition.

JLM
+1

Yep, I suppose if a guy was smart he wouldn't buy or build until he found out what coverage he could get.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

I think that there will be some real losses for a number of folks.

10-15 mm expected for today and just announced that the schools are closed

There will be some here too making claims after a massive dump yesterday. I finally refinished my basement last winter after flooding in 2011.

JLM
+1
I see Peewee is up to his normal mischief this morning. Thought he'd be busy sand bagging!

petros

Yep, I suppose if a guy was smart he wouldn't buy or build until he found out what coverage he could get.

The soil will tell you everything you need to know about flood risk if you take the time to sample.

absolutely, reading a contract is your best defense. unfortunately the insurance company's definition of the words used aren't always the same as a layman's definition.

Then don't use layman's terms when reading it.

JamesBondo
my best recommendation is: write up your top 6 or so nasty scenarios, and get your insurance company to officially comment on where your policy says you are covered.

petros

I see Peewee is up to his normal mischief this morning. Thought he'd be busy sand bagging!

Peewee?

my best recommendation is: write up your top 6 or so nasty scenarios, and get your insurance company to officially comment on where your policy says you are covered.

Or ask.

JLM

The soil will tell you everything you need to know about flood risk if you take the time to sample.

Then don't use layman's terms when reading it.

You may have a hard time determining the 200 year flood level unless it was quite recent.

Peewee?

Les Gilbert's very appropriate moniker for him!

JamesBondo
I wouldn't 'ask'. Unless you have something in writing, you aren't going to be in a good legal position if things turn sour for you.

Btw, what exactly is an 'act of god'? ie is it really an 'act of god' if someone can show that god visits their community several times per decade? LOL

petros
+1
If you don't ask, or read the policy, just assume you aren't covered for flood.

You may have a hard time determining the 200 year flood level unless it was quite recent.

Les Gilbert's very appropriate moniker for him!

Not at all. The soil doesn't lie and can nail it right to the month of a year that a flood happened.

Who is him?

JLM
+1

Btw, what exactly is an 'act of god'? ie is it really an 'act of god' if someone can show that god visits their community several times per decade? LOL

That would certainly have the religious fanantics stuttering and stammering! -

If you don't ask, or read the policy, just assume you aren't covered for flood.

Not at all. The soil doesn't lie and can nail it right to the month of a year that a flood happened.

Who is him?

I don't particularly want to get him flared up again. Let's just say I rec'd a "red" from him this morning as usual.
Last edited by JLM; Jun 21st, 2013 at 08:20 AM..

hunboldt
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Walter- could you please stop the inane trolling? This is a disaster area.

Regardless of the causes & the lack of preparation here in Calgary, at least a dozen posters are telling you to 'pack it '

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

There were similar (albeit not quite as severe) in 2005 around this same time... Pretty much any community along either of the rivers is being affected

Good point...
I really feel for people trapped by the water.
However, the proposed elbow river high dam at Powderface ridge was 'voted out' in the 1970's- and it was proposed to hold back this sort of flood plus store water for the inevitable dry cycles that are coming.

As was the Bow Valley flood control dam. We either have to rethink water control in Alberta, or move out of the floodplains.

BTW,I was at the opening of the twin Valley dam on the Little bow in2001.
The planning engineer was 'Swarmed' by environments groups during the planning sessions. so instead of Four impoundments on a glacial outwash valley, PLUS a diversion sluice on the Highwood river we got one dam, a small feeder canal- and our fingers crossed.

Well, maybe now we build the stuff we need.....

Peewee?

Or ask.

I believe he means walter......

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by hunboldt View Post

Walter- could you please stop the inane trolling? This is a disaster area.

I believe he means walter......

Yep, there are probably 100 thousand people right now who are just feeling "sick", and jokes don't help them much.

Kreskin
I just heard on the radio that there is water up to row 10 in the Saddledome. Not sure if its accurate but if so that is a pretty bad situation.

petros
+1
ooOOoo...if they turned the ammonia system on they could have the rodeo on ice this year at Stampede.

B00Mer

Yep, insurance companies have a way of ducking their responsibility when it comes to flood damage. I suppose if all damage here was compensated for, many ins. companies would be declaring bankruptcy.

I think the Province of Alberta will have to bail people out of this mess being they declared a state of emergency..

It's not like they don't have enough money..

karrie
I could be wrong, but the state of emergency declarations have been 'local state of emergency', ie., city government declarations, not provincial.

B00Mer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I could be wrong, but the state of emergency declarations have been 'local state of emergency', ie., city government declarations, not provincial.

Yes you're correct, but I still think the province should and will help out financially..

Last time there was flooding in Calgary I was living in Crossfield, AB, when I returned to Calgary, I picked the high ground at the base of nose hill park on the 3rd floor walk up..

Don't people look at history of flooding before they build or buy a residence?? I feel sad for those people, and have driven down to see the flooded areas which is really, really bad.. but where is the common sense not to build on the banks of the Bow River that has a nasty habit of flooding every year..

The province needs to bail these people out, but I also wonder about personal responsibility for bad choices too.

Nose Hill Park (highest point in Calgary)

karrie
+3
If I buy an established home, I generally trust that city planning and infrastructure knows/knew more about the safety of the area than I do. I'm not gonna bash on people who put similar trust in a city.

B00Mer
+1
(This rain really screws with my DirecTV signal.. God no TV)

Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

If I buy an established home, I generally trust that city planning and infrastructure knows/knew more about the safety of the area than I do. I'm not gonna bash on people who put similar trust in a city.

...trust the city, and toss common sense out the window, is that what your saying Karrie?? Boy do I have some land to sell you.. this nice parcel of land that sits right on the banks of the Mississippi..