Bank of Canada unveils new plastic bills

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Bank of Canada unveils new plastic bills - CTV News

Canadians got their first look at the slick new plastic bills that will soon line wallets across the country.

The Bank of Canada unveiled two bills in its new series of polymer-blend bank notes at an Ottawa news conference on Monday afternoon. The $100 and $50 bills are slated to begin circulating in November 2011 and March 2012 respectively.

The new bills, which are smoother to the touch and harder to crumple, are made from a durable type of polymer and will eventually replace the cotton-paper blend used in existing currency.

While the plastic bills will cost nearly twice as much to produce compared to those currently in circulation (19 cents per bill versus 10 cents for the old version), the new plastic currency is said to be 2.5 times more durable.

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty joined Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney to introduce the new bills, describing them as "cultural touchstones that reflect and celebrate our Canadian experience."

The Conservative government pledged in the 2010 budget to move the country to synthetic bills.

Images on the $100 note recognize breakthroughs in Canadian research including the discovery of insulin and the invention of the pacemaker.

The new $50 note, scheduled to circulate in March 2012, showcases images of the Canadian Coast Guard Ship Amundsen.

Some aspects of the bank notes are expected to remain consistent.

Sir Robert Borden, prime minister of Canada between 1911 and 1920, remains on the $100 note in an updated portrait. Two-time prime minister William Lyon Mackenzie King remains on the $50 bill as well.

The much more common $20, $10 and $5 bills are expected to be unveiled and released by the end of 2013.

While their colours will not change, the smaller-denomination notes will have their own unique themes:

• The $5 note is dedicated to Canada's space program
  • The $10 note will depict Canada's railway lines
  • The $20 note will feature sacrifices made in Canadian conflicts
Bills created to combat counterfeiters

The new notes, to be printed on polymer produced in Australia, were created in part to battle bogus bill production -- although that practice has been declining in Canada since 2004.

RCMP Commissioner William J.S. Elliott heralded the new bill as being an effective security measure against counterfeiters.

"These new and technically innovative notes will go a long way to deter the threat of counterfeiting in coming years," he told reporters at the news conference.

New holographic security areas will be printed on the bills, including one in the shape of a maple leaf. They will also feature raised ink, hidden numbers and metallic images printed on a transparent window.

The bills will be printed on a smooth film developed specifically for bank notes and used in about 30 countries around the world, including New Zealand, Hong Kong and Mexico.

The plastic bills are also said to be recyclable, giving them a smaller environmental footprint than is the case with the current bills, according to the Bank of Canada.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Aussies use them too and for quite a while now. I have to give props to the Cons for this, as it's long over due. They look and feel a lot better, they're more durable, you can't easily rip them, you can't easily counterfeit them, they're obviously waterproof and while I saw some comments on the above link complaining about them possibly melting.... you'd have to toss them in an oven on a high temp for that to happen, which is obviously a lot harder then taking a lighter to the current bank notes.

Welcome to the 21st century.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Jim Flaherty joined Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney to introduce the new
bills, describing them as "cultural touchstones that reflect and celebrate our
Canadian experience."
The Canadian cultural experience is plastic?
"How will you be paying today? Plastic or plastic?"

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I'll bet it doesn't last as long as they claim. Mind you, the paper doesn't either.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Debit/Credit can be a pain in the ass at certain places, mostly bars in my experience.

Besides the state of the economy, it's pretty rare for stores to accept $100's, in Toronto anyways.

They do from me if they want to make the sale! (on the rare occasion I have one) :lol:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
They do from me if they want to make the sale! (on the rare occasion I have one) :lol:

I know at the LCBO's they have signs stating due to fraud, they cannot accept 100's, pretty rare for me to be carrying one, but ya.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
Debit/Credit can be a pain in the ass at certain places, mostly bars in my experience.

In my experience, when I'm in line at the grocery store and the person in front of me is paying with debit or credit card it usually takes double the time it would if they had just paid in cash.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
In my experience, when I'm in line at the grocery store and the person in front of me is paying with debit or credit card it usually takes double the time it would if they had just paid in cash.

True, what pisses me off is stores that still use dial-up modems for their data connections, approx quadruples the checkout time.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yep, once the bill is tallied, some women then decide to open their purse and start the search for the appropriate card and after fishing around for a minute finally dig it out and then the transaction starts. :lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yep, once the bill is tallied, some women then decide to open their purse and start the search for the appropriate card and after fishing around for a minute finally dig it out and then the transaction starts. :lol:

Most men don't bother fishing their wallet out until then either. And then comes the flipping through cards and trying to get it out of the sleeve. And THEN they start bagging once they've paid. Morons.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Most men don't bother fishing their wallet out until then either. And then comes the flipping through cards and trying to get it out of the sleeve. And THEN they start bagging once they've paid. Morons.

LOL- kind of thought this would get you out of bed:lol:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Touch and feel:

Holograms:

Up close:

Metallic Portrait:

Higher contrast denomination numbers:

I personally don't really like the new plastic bills.. but I'm sure they'll grow on me.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I don't bag my own groceries. In one of our local stores, one clerk has a habit of scanning all of your groceries, and then starting to bag them - I think she's hoping that people will get frustrated and bag their own. The other clerks all bag them as they scan them.