Bank of Canada unveils new plastic bills


Praxius
#1
Bank of Canada unveils new plastic bills - CTV News



Canadians got their first look at the slick new plastic bills that will soon line wallets across the country.

The Bank of Canada unveiled two bills in its new series of polymer-blend bank notes at an Ottawa news conference on Monday afternoon. The $100 and $50 bills are slated to begin circulating in November 2011 and March 2012 respectively.

The new bills, which are smoother to the touch and harder to crumple, are made from a durable type of polymer and will eventually replace the cotton-paper blend used in existing currency.

While the plastic bills will cost nearly twice as much to produce compared to those currently in circulation (19 cents per bill versus 10 cents for the old version), the new plastic currency is said to be 2.5 times more durable.

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty joined Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney to introduce the new bills, describing them as "cultural touchstones that reflect and celebrate our Canadian experience."

The Conservative government pledged in the 2010 budget to move the country to synthetic bills.

Images on the $100 note recognize breakthroughs in Canadian research including the discovery of insulin and the invention of the pacemaker.

The new $50 note, scheduled to circulate in March 2012, showcases images of the Canadian Coast Guard Ship Amundsen.

Some aspects of the bank notes are expected to remain consistent.

Sir Robert Borden, prime minister of Canada between 1911 and 1920, remains on the $100 note in an updated portrait. Two-time prime minister William Lyon Mackenzie King remains on the $50 bill as well.

The much more common $20, $10 and $5 bills are expected to be unveiled and released by the end of 2013.

While their colours will not change, the smaller-denomination notes will have their own unique themes:
  • The $5 note is dedicated to Canada's space program
  • The $10 note will depict Canada's railway lines
  • The $20 note will feature sacrifices made in Canadian conflicts
Bills created to combat counterfeiters

The new notes, to be printed on polymer produced in Australia, were created in part to battle bogus bill production -- although that practice has been declining in Canada since 2004.

RCMP Commissioner William J.S. Elliott heralded the new bill as being an effective security measure against counterfeiters.

"These new and technically innovative notes will go a long way to deter the threat of counterfeiting in coming years," he told reporters at the news conference.

New holographic security areas will be printed on the bills, including one in the shape of a maple leaf. They will also feature raised ink, hidden numbers and metallic images printed on a transparent window.

The bills will be printed on a smooth film developed specifically for bank notes and used in about 30 countries around the world, including New Zealand, Hong Kong and Mexico.

The plastic bills are also said to be recyclable, giving them a smaller environmental footprint than is the case with the current bills, according to the Bank of Canada.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Aussies use them too and for quite a while now. I have to give props to the Cons for this, as it's long over due. They look and feel a lot better, they're more durable, you can't easily rip them, you can't easily counterfeit them, they're obviously waterproof and while I saw some comments on the above link complaining about them possibly melting.... you'd have to toss them in an oven on a high temp for that to happen, which is obviously a lot harder then taking a lighter to the current bank notes.

Welcome to the 21st century.
 
petros
#2
Quote:

Jim Flaherty joined Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney to introduce the new
bills, describing them as "cultural touchstones that reflect and celebrate our
Canadian experience."

The Canadian cultural experience is plastic?
"How will you be paying today? Plastic or plastic?"
 
mentalfloss
#3
People still use cash?
 
cranky
#4
I'll bet it doesn't last as long as they claim. Mind you, the paper doesn't either.
 
JLM
#5
I'm wondering the way the economy is going if there is any point in print any $100s.
 
DurkaDurka
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

People still use cash?

Debit/Credit can be a pain in the ass at certain places, mostly bars in my experience.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I'm wondering the way the economy is going if there is any point in print any $100s.

Besides the state of the economy, it's pretty rare for stores to accept $100's, in Toronto anyways.
 
JLM
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Debit/Credit can be a pain in the ass at certain places, mostly bars in my experience.



Besides the state of the economy, it's pretty rare for stores to accept $100's, in Toronto anyways.

They do from me if they want to make the sale! (on the rare occasion I have one)
 
DurkaDurka
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

They do from me if they want to make the sale! (on the rare occasion I have one)

I know at the LCBO's they have signs stating due to fraud, they cannot accept 100's, pretty rare for me to be carrying one, but ya.
 
CUBert
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Debit/Credit can be a pain in the ass at certain places, mostly bars in my experience.

In my experience, when I'm in line at the grocery store and the person in front of me is paying with debit or credit card it usually takes double the time it would if they had just paid in cash.
 
DurkaDurka
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by CUBert View Post

In my experience, when I'm in line at the grocery store and the person in front of me is paying with debit or credit card it usually takes double the time it would if they had just paid in cash.

True, what pisses me off is stores that still use dial-up modems for their data connections, approx quadruples the checkout time.
 
JLM
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by CUBert View Post

In my experience, when I'm in line at the grocery store and the person in front of me is paying with debit or credit card it usually takes double the time it would if they had just paid in cash.

Yep, once the bill is tallied, some women then decide to open their purse and start the search for the appropriate card and after fishing around for a minute finally dig it out and then the transaction starts.
 
karrie
+1
#12  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Yep, once the bill is tallied, some women then decide to open their purse and start the search for the appropriate card and after fishing around for a minute finally dig it out and then the transaction starts.

Most men don't bother fishing their wallet out until then either. And then comes the flipping through cards and trying to get it out of the sleeve. And THEN they start bagging once they've paid. Morons.
 
JLM
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Most men don't bother fishing their wallet out until then either. And then comes the flipping through cards and trying to get it out of the sleeve. And THEN they start bagging once they've paid. Morons.

LOL- kind of thought this would get you out of bed
 
karrie
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

LOL- kind of thought this would get you out of bed

you're cute when you troll.
 
Andem
#15
Touch and feel:



Holograms:



Up close:



Metallic Portrait:


Higher contrast denomination numbers:




I personally don't really like the new plastic bills.. but I'm sure they'll grow on me.
 
TenPenny
#16
Some people like cash because they don't like leaving a trail of everywhere they went and everything they bought.
 
mentalfloss
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem View Post

Up close:


Would.
 
cranky
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem View Post


I personally don't really like the new plastic bills.. but I'm sure they'll grow on me.

Give me a call when you need a hair cut, or a bath.
 
JLM
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

you're cute when you troll.

I'm cute when I don't too.
 
TenPenny
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Most men don't bother fishing their wallet out until then either. And then comes the flipping through cards and trying to get it out of the sleeve. And THEN they start bagging once they've paid. Morons.

I don't bag my own groceries. In one of our local stores, one clerk has a habit of scanning all of your groceries, and then starting to bag them - I think she's hoping that people will get frustrated and bag their own. The other clerks all bag them as they scan them.
 
petros
#21
RFID enabled?
 
Praxius
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Debit/Credit can be a pain in the ass at certain places, mostly bars in my experience.

Has Tim's finally switched to Debit yet?
 
TenPenny
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Has Tim's finally switched to Debit yet?

Yes, and it's a pain in the butt to be stuck behind people using debit.
 
Praxius
+1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Most men don't bother fishing their wallet out until then either. And then comes the flipping through cards and trying to get it out of the sleeve. And THEN they start bagging once they've paid. Morons.

As soon as my hands are free from unloading stuff on the register, I automatically reach for my wallet and have my debit card poking out for when I need to take it out and stick it in the Debit hole (hmmm, almost sounds sexual)

I can't stand the people.... and not to try and be sexist, but women with the huge purses who stand there looking at the ceiling while waiting for their products to be swiped by the scanner and then when they are told the total cost, they snap out of their daze and THEN start digging through their purse to find their payment method, which is usually a couple of bills and a bunch of change they want to get rid of to lighten their load, which is in a smaller purse within the big purse.

Then they get their change back, say thanks & have a good day, then stand there in my fk'n way for another 2 minutes as they put their change in the appropriate pocket of their small purse, then put it in their larger purse, zip that up, sling it over their shoulder...... and then finally grab their grocery bags and walk away..... allowing me to finally do my thing.

It's not all women, so I'm not trying to go down that road..... but a select few..... and it drives me frick'n nuts. They could at least move a couple of feet down the register to give the next person some space while they sort their sh*t out.... but no, they just stand right there in front of the cashier blocking everybody else while they diddle with their crap.

And ATM's?? Don't get me started.......

Purses should be illegal. Everybody should have to use wallets for their currency and for all the other stuff woman may have to carry with them, have a shoulder sling or something or a backpack..... but keep the two at least separate.
Last edited by Praxius; Jun 21st, 2011 at 07:07 PM..
 
YukonJack
#25
Will these new bills be any slower leaving my wallet?
 
JLM
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

As soon as my hands are free from unloading stuff on the register, I automatically reach for my wallet and have my debit card poking out for when I need to take it out and stick it in the Debit hole (hmmm, almost sounds sexual)

I can't stand the people.... and not to try and be sexist, but women with the huge purses who stand there looking at the ceiling while waiting for their products to be swiped by the scanner and then when they are told the total cost, they snap out of their daze and THEN start digging through their purse to find their payment method, which is usually a couple of bills and a bunch of change they want to get rid of to lighten their load, which is in a smaller purse within the big purse.

Then they get their change back, say thanks & have a good day, then stand there in my fk'n way for another 2 minutes as they put their change in the appropriate pocket of their small purse, then put it in their larger purse, zip that up, sling it over their shoulder...... and then finally grab their grocery bags and walk away..... allowing me to finally do my thing.

It's not all women, so I'm not trying to go down that road..... but a select few..... and it drives me frick'n nuts. They could at least move a couple of feet down the register to give the next person some space while they sort their sh*t out.... but no, they just stand right there in front of the cashier blocking everybody else while they diddle with their crap.

And ATM's?? Don't get me started.......

Purses should be illegal. Everybody should have to use wallets for their currency and for all the other stuff woman may have to carry with them, have a shoulder sling or something or a backpack..... but keep the two at least separate.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Cliffy
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Most men don't bother fishing their wallet out until then either. And then comes the flipping through cards and trying to get it out of the sleeve. And THEN they start bagging once they've paid. Morons.

I only have one credit card and rarely use it. I prefer cash. I think I might change things a bit since more than likely there is an embedded trcking chip in the new bills. Not sure what options there are. Perhaps move back to the bush, sell all my computer stuff and live on berries and dead animals.
 
YukonJack
#28
Cliffy, I would like to encourage you - in the name of common decency - to do the option expressed in your last sentence. Original enough for you?
 
Cliffy
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

Cliffy, I would like to encourage you - in the name of common decency - to do the option expressed in your last sentence. Original enough for you?

I know you are not a vegetarian so you have nothing to fear from me. I only eat dead vegetarians.
 
Praxius
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

Will these new bills be any slower leaving my wallet?

Actually due to being of a smoother material and less friction between the bills in a wallet, they're probably leave your wallet a fraction faster then normal
 

Similar Threads

30
Bank of canada says recession over
by VanIsle | Jul 24th, 2009
5
Bank of Canada
by darkbeaver | Oct 19th, 2008