Royal baby named Prince Louis

Blackleaf
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have named their third child Louis Arthur Charles.

The couple's second son was born at 11:01 BST on Monday at the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital in London, weighing 8lb 7oz.

A tweet from Kensington Palace said the baby would be known as His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge (pronounced Lou-ee, not Lou-iss).

Rather patriotically, Prince Louis was born on St George's Day and Shakespeare's birthday.

He's also the first royal son to go below his older sister in the Line of Succession.

Royal baby named Prince Louis

27 April 2018
BBC News

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have named their third child Louis Arthur Charles.

The couple's second son was born at 11:01 BST on Monday at the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital in London, weighing 8lb 7oz.

A tweet from Kensington Palace said the baby would be known as His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge (pronounced Lou-ee, not Lou-iss).

The new prince is fifth in line to the throne.

Prince Louis Arthur Charles on the day he was born

Louis is one of the middle names of Prince William and of the new prince's brother, George.

It was also the first name of Lord Mountbatten - his great-great-great uncle - who was killed by the IRA in 1979.

Lord Mountbatten had a strong influence in the upbringing of great-nephew Prince Charles and was described by the latter as "the grandfather I never had".

Bookmakers had Arthur as the favourite name for the prince, followed by James and Philip.

Historian Judith Rowbotham said Louis is "not a traditional Windsor name" and a "little surprising" - but said it was still a safe choice for the royals.

"It's very much an acknowledgement of a wider heritage," Dr Rowbotham said, adding that it is also "very much an affectionate tribute" to the Prince of Wales, who was "deeply devoted" to Lord Mountbatten.

Lord Mountbatten, who was a mentor to great-nephew Prince Charles, in 1959

Former One Direction star Louis Tomlinson tweeted: "Young Louis welcome to the world. I'll take you under my wing lad. The Adidas tracksuit is in the post!"
Louis Tomlinson ✔

@Louis_Tomlinson

Young Louis welcome to the world. I’ll take you under my wing lad. The Adidas tracksuit is in the post!

12:52 PM - Apr 27, 2018

195K Likes 65.3K people are talking about this

Louis is the 71st most popular name for a boy in England and Wales, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The name was 38th out of the top 100 baby names for boys in 2004 but has been declining in popularity.

In 2016, 911 newborn boys were named Louis by their parents compared to more than 5,000 who were named George.

On Thursday evening, Prince William told reporters that they were still deciding on a name, saying: "I'm working on that."

Earlier in the week, he said Catherine and the baby were "in good form, luckily", and added: "Sleeping's going reasonably well so far, so he's behaving himself, which is good news."

To mark the royal birth, Disney created a sketch and animation featuring Winnie-the-Pooh delivering a personalised balloon to Prince Louis, who is depicted with his parents, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

'A family favourite'

By Sarah Campbell, BBC royal correspondent

The pool of names considered suitable for a prince is not large and yet, the wait between birth and public naming suggests there was some indecision about what to call the new baby.

It did give punters four days to place their bets, though - and most of them will be disappointed.

Louis certainly wasn't the front-runner as far as the bookies were concerned, but it is clearly a family favourite.

William and George both have it as a middle name.

But with its French and German origins, it will no doubt generate some eyebrow-raising, Brexit-related comment.

There will also no doubt be some confusion over the pronunciation (Loo-ee not Loo-iss).

What is certain is that we are unlikely to see much of Prince Louis of Cambridge in the coming months and years.

His parents remain determined to bring up all three of their children away from the public's gaze as much as is possible.

Royal baby named Prince Louis - BBC News

Danbones
EH!!! "Louis"??!!?

Dats MY le name!

Blackleaf
Louis is the French form of the Old Frankish given name Chlodowig (Modern German: Ludwig) and one of two English forms,[1] the other being Lewis (/ˈluːɪs/). The Frankish name is composed of the words for "fame" (hlōd) and "warrior" (wīg) which may be translated to famous warrior or "famous in battle."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_(given_name)

Danbones
LOL No doubt..did you catch CC telling me the Brits kicked the Franks' collective ass with long bows, and where I had to correct him on the British loss of the hundred years war, and how that wasn't exactly the frankish empire?

Fun times!

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

LOL No doubt..did you catch CC telling me the Brits kicked the Franks' collective ass with long bows, and where I had to correct him on the British loss of the hundred years war, and how that wasn't exactly the frankish empire?

Fun times!

England's defeat in the Hundred Years War was a terrible tragedy.

Danbones
Yeah, by a 17 year old girl too...that has to sting.

But they say that after she was sold to the Brits by her own king, she was conned by her jailors to wear men's clothes so she would have the final charge of witchcraft put on her, and then YOU guys hung her.

That was cheap doood...The angels she talked to are likely still pissed off about that. I see you guys are taking no chances on another sword swinging girl like her showing up again, and are even banning butter knives now.

That won't stop the future..

Blackleaf

Yeah, by a 17 year old girl too...that has to sting.

But they say that after she was sold to the Brits by her own king, she was conned by her jailors to wear men's clothes so she would have the final charge of witchcraft put on her, and then YOU guys hung her.

It wasn't the English who jailed her, swapped her clothes for men's clothes and tried her for sorcery, heresy and witchcraft. It was the Catholic Church and the very French Bishop of Beauvais.

justlooking
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

It was also the first name of Lord Mountbatten - his great-great-great uncle - who was killed by the IRA in 1979.

Oh, you mean the one responsible for the Dieppe raid ?

Well, thanks for that Brits, another gimme for Republicanism.

Danbones
This is why I use citations

On 23 May 1430, she was captured at Compiègne by the Burgundian faction, which was allied with the English. She was later handed over to the English[7] and put on trial by the pro-English Bishop of Beauvais Pierre Cauchon on a variety of charges.[8] After Cauchon declared her guilty she was burned at the stake on 30 May 1431, dying at about nineteen years of age
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arc

Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

Yeah, My father and all his frontline soldier friends did NOT THINK MUCH of OL MONTY.
Over seven hours 3,369 of the 4,963 Canadians sent to Dieppe were killed, wounded or captured.
https://www.express.co.uk/expressyou...ed-Mountbatten

BTW, once you give up the butter knives the rats will get ALL the cheese then.
I'm surprised they didn't name him Mohammad.

Blackleaf

This is why I use citations

On 23 May 1430, she was captured at Compiègne by the Burgundian faction, which was allied with the English. She was later handed over to the English[7] and put on trial by the pro-English Bishop of Beauvais Pierre Cauchon on a variety of charges.[8] After Cauchon declared her guilty she was burned at the stake on 30 May 1431, dying at about nineteen years of age
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arc

That's what I said. It was the Frenchies who tried her and burnt her. Not the English.

Quote:

Yeah, My father and all his frontline soldier friends did NOT THINK MUCH of OL MONTY.

A great fellow, was Monty. Told the Americans that they were using crap tactics in Vietnam and told the Egyptians - rightly, as it soon turned out - that they would be annihilated in a war with the Israelis.

As for the legalisation of homosexuality in Britain, he said: "This sort of thing may be tolerated by the French, but we're British – thank God".

Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

The IRA and Irish Republicans famously colluded with the Nazis, of course. And that's not even mentioning the Irish Free State's parliament debating whether or not to deport all the country's Jews and it's leader Éamon de Valera being the only world leader other than Japan's to sign the book of condolence on Hitler's death.

The Republic of Ireland's WWII history is shameful.

Curious Cdn
Wow!

All of that from "Louie".

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Wow!

All of that from "Louie".

From the birth of Prince Louis to the Irish collusion with the Germans during WWII in just ten posts.

We're good.

spaminator
[youtube]4V1p1dM3snQ[/youtube]

Hoid
Prince Lou.

Sounds like a wrestler.

Danbones

KISS ME! I'll turn into a FROG!!!

...and I won't be very amused!

Blackleaf
Prince Louis and Princess Charlotte seen at home in new photos

6 May 2018
BBC News

Princess Charlotte is seen with her new brother in the photograph taken on her third birthday (2nd May)

Photographs of Prince Louis' first days at home have been released by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - including an image of the new royal baby being kissed by his older sister.

Princess Charlotte is seen cuddling the sleeping prince in the photo taken on 2 May, her third birthday.

A second picture shows Prince Louis on 26 April, when he was three days old, propped on top of a white cushion.

Both photos were taken by the Duchess of Cambridge at Kensington Palace.

Catherine also released pictures to mark other milestones in her children's lives, including the official photographs of her newborn daughter, and Prince George and Princess Charlotte's first days at nursery school.

'Kind messages'

Kensington Palace said Prince William and Catherine were "very pleased" to share the photographs.

It added: "Their Royal Highnesses would like to thank members of the public for all of the kind messages they have received following the birth of Prince Louis, and for Princess Charlotte's third birthday."

Prince Louis was born at the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, on 23 April.

Prince Louis was photographed by his mother at Kensington Palace three days after his birth

The photograph, taken three days later, shows him in a white outfit. He does not look at the camera, but is wide-eyed and staring at something to his right.

Princess Charlotte is sitting with Prince Louis in the other photo. She puts a protective arm around her new brother and plants a kiss on his forehead.

Prince George, who will turn five in July, does not appear in the latest photographs.

He was last seen in public outside St Mary's Hospital when he and Princess Charlotte were taken by their father to meet the latest addition to their family.

Prince Louis and Princess Charlotte seen at home in new photos - BBC News