Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?


JamesBondo
#91
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-specs-updated

My concerns about these cars are:

1. Not enough range for one charge,
2. Lack of charging stations, and
3. Price. Value for for what you get. s.

not much value offered. i hear the batteries will cost about 10k every 5-10years. My second vehicle tends to be a 5k vehicle every 5-10years. i guess those days are over.
 
Murphy
#92
I think that big business thought everybody would jump on the "green" bandwagon, and hoped to turn a profit. People are only green if it costs them less.
 
avro25
#93
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

I think that big business thought everybody would jump on the "green" bandwagon, and hoped to turn a profit. People are only green if it costs them less.

Is that why I buy free range eggs and chicken.
 
Murphy
+3
#94
Mr. Stronach used to say that people were stupid enough to buy anything, if they thought it would impress the neighbours.
 
Curious Cdn
#95
Quote: Originally Posted by avro25 View Post

Is that why I buy free range eggs and chicken.

Green ones?

I do not like them, Sam-I-Am.
 
avro25
#96
A frogs car broke down and asked a toad what to do.
 
captain morgan
+1
#97
Quote: Originally Posted by avro25 View Post

Guess that's why Walmart and loblaws have purchased Tesla trucks.

They're dumb.

.... And?

That doesn't change any of the facts I posted, but then again, any of those increases in costs will come directly out of your pocket.
 
Curious Cdn
#98
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

.... And?

That doesn't change any of the facts I posted, but then again, any of those increases in costs will come directly out of your pocket.

Sorry, which oil company do you work for, again?
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#99
Quote: Originally Posted by avro25 View Post

Guess that's why Walmart and loblaws have purchased Tesla trucks.

They're dumb.

These trucks do not exist yet? Pretty big gamble unless they got a really good price.

But those companies have the land and the size and logistics to create the necessary charging stations and such to run those vehicles. They could add one at every loading dock and when truck pulls in, plug it in while unloading or loading. On that scale it could work. From a business perspective it probably hedges their costs of transportation. When the price of gas gets high due to a hurricane in Texas, they can control their transportation costs.

But for an everyday practical automobile, electric cars are years away from being an attractive alternative. I just bough a car and there was no real choice. I went with traditional for the following reasons:
  • Cheaper even with subsidies
  • No ability to charge in my apartment building
  • Not having to worry about finding charging station while traveling
  • Assurance if I run out of fuel, I can call roadside assistance and get some gas (no electrical roadside assistance yet)
  • I don't trust batteries. It is the battery in my smartphone which will almost always fail first and every year or 2 a car battery will die. Pretty expensive part of an electric vehicle to replace every 2-3 years.
 
petros
#100
Quote: Originally Posted by avro25 View Post

Is that why I buy free range eggs and chicken.

What is a free range egg? Do they hire Mexicans to walk fields with nets to catch the free range eggs?

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

in fact a Tesla will bury any muscle car that has ever been made.

the internal combustion engine is a joke.

And yet a mildly tweeked 2017 F150 with an ecoboost six banger will walk all over it.



Watch a Tuned F-150 EcoBoost Beat a Hellcat, and Run a 12-Second Quarter-Mile
 
taxslave
#101
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Gasoline heaters in VWs

That was the newer ones. Late 50s- early 60s just had a heat duct from the engine that ran under the floor to the front to ensure you didn't overheat.

Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

this is the only type of electric car you need in Canada, the USA, and the rest of the world:


Sure it is. And how far off the trolley wires will it go?

When and how are electric vehicles going to pay their fair share of road maintenance costs? Or are taxes on gas and diesel going to be removed to make it fair?
 
gerryh
#102
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

What is a free range egg? Do they hire Mexicans to walk fields with nets to catch the free range eggs?


Really? You being obtuse, facetious, or are you that stupid?
 
avro25
#103
No, he is dodging an obvious comment.

Dr. Scientist works in mysterious ways.
 
captain morgan
+1
#104
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Sorry, which oil company do you work for, again?

My own
 
avro25
#105
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

My own

Sure buddy......sure.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#106
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Really? You being obtuse, facetious, or are you that stupid?

The term "free range egg" does imply the egg is free range. One of the quirks of the English language.

I am unclear how free range eggs or eggs from free range chickens has anything to do with electric vehicles.
 
captain morgan
+2
#107
Quote: Originally Posted by avro25 View Post

Sure buddy......sure.

Makes no difference to me what you think.

As the expression goes: Those that can, do... Those that can't, well, just look in the mirror for that answer
 
avro25
#108
Sure...then stop prancing around like a trillionaire.
 
captain morgan
#109
yawn
 
gerryh
+1
#110
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

The term "free range egg" does imply the egg is free range. One of the quirks of the English language.

I am unclear how free range eggs or eggs from free range chickens has anything to do with electric vehicles.


He is equating buying more expensive "free range" with the idea of spending more to go green.


While there are those that will spend more to "go green", the majority of consumers will not.
 
DaSleeper
+2
#111
I wouldn't want an electric only car in northern ontario at 20 below....hell not even ten below
 
JamesBondo
#112
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

I wouldn't want an electric only car in northern ontario at 20 below....hell not even ten below

i agree. my family doesn't own Jeep parkas anymore.
 
petros
#113
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Really? You being obtuse, facetious, or are you that stupid?

There is no such thing as a "free range egg".
 
JamesBondo
+1
#114
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

He is equating buying more expensive "free range" with the idea of spending more to go green.


I don't buy the more expensive cars available. making the cars even more expensive just pisses me off.
 
Hoid
#115
Indeed UPS was also duped into buying 125 of them? 150?

Why couldn't a big company like that guy a guy who knew about trucks?

Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

not much value offered. i hear the batteries will cost about 10k every 5-10years. My second vehicle tends to be a 5k vehicle every 5-10years. i guess those days are over.

not much value - but enough to bury the gas powered engine forever.
its ovah for gas. the only people buying gas engine now will be poor people.
 
DaSleeper
#116
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

i agree. my family doesn't own Jeep parkas anymore.

Had a Volkswagen beetle in the early 60's second-hand from the 50's,
you drive one of them in the winter with a parka and mitts with a scraper in your left hand for cleaning the windshield on the inside!
 
captain morgan
#117
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

not much value - but enough to bury the gas powered engine forever.
its ovah for gas. the only people buying gas engine now will be poor people.

Do you own a Tesla?
 
JamesBondo
#118
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Indeed UPS was also duped into buying 125 of them? 150?

Why couldn't a big company like that guy a guy who knew about trucks?


not much value - but enough to bury the gas powered engine forever.
its ovah for gas. the only people buying gas engine now will be poor people.

i apreciate your enthusiasm, but it will be a cold day in hell before anyone invents a heater for canadian winters. or a system that fits on a motorcycle, or a generator for the motorhome.
 
captain morgan
#119
Those UPS trucks don't come with heaters or A/C.... To big of a draw on the power supply
 
Hoid
#120
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

i apreciate your enthusiasm, but it will be a cold day in hell before anyone invents a heater for canadian winters. or a system that fits on a motorcycle, or a generator for the motorhome.

the electric engine will dominate both the motorcycle and the RV markets.

The motorcycle market because the electric motor is so much more powerful and the RV market because the batteries will run the thing beautifully whenever it is parked.

'She was a blessing': Drayton Valley grieves for teenager found dead in idling car - Edmonton - CBC News

16 year old Alberta girl dies in idling Jetta parked outside clean energy center. 17 year old boy also in car is in critical condition.

Would not have happened if they could have afforded a Tesla.