Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Here's a thought, Walter. If you don't like electric vehicles, don't buy one yourself.

I won't, and most others won't either.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

I won't, and most others won't either.

The market will determine... as it should be.

Walter
+1

The market will determine... as it should be.

Now you're talking like a conservative.

Curious Cdn
+1

Now you're talking like a conservative.

I don't believe in legislating behaviors unless lives are threatened.

mentalfloss
Hence, carbon pricing policy.

Curious Cdn
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Hence, carbon pricing policy.

You mean, a new name for tax that is dumped into General Revenues?

It's creative, I'll grant you but it won't save any lives.

mentalfloss
Nope.

I mean a carbon pricing policy.

It's already reduced pollution in places like Hong Kong and Vancouver.

captain morgan
+1

How much energy is used to make the vehicle? How is the electricity made? What's the battery life? How far can you travel on one charge? How is the battery disposed of?
Not all good, except the Kool-aid.

Buddy doesn't like to answer that line of questioning.... Too uncomfortable

pgs

Nope.

What is that cloud I see every sunny day smogging the air in Vancouver ?

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

You're like a rubber ball bouncing off a wall.

Everything about the electric car is good. I think thats whats got you all confused.

And how is all this electricity going to get produced? How much of the earth is going to have to be flooded and how much pollution causing stuff is going to have to be burnt?

MHz
+1
Keep the coal fired plants operating and the less gas powered cars will reduce the total emissions. (plus saving the taxpayers many billions in useless spending. Create a false crisis and have the taxpayers foot the bill. Same scam was pulled with the gas shortage in the '70's)

JamesBondo
+2
eventually when we have enough electric vehicles on the market we will have to adopt a 'user pays for the electricity' model.

for now, professors with their $200k+ salaries get to charge their cars for free while their students that are sinking in debt continue to pay carbon taxes.

it hardly seems fair.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Are electric vehicles ready for Canada? Electric heat will drain those batteries faster than making the wheels turn

I have heard that the original VW beatles didn't have heaters. Perhaps the new electric vehicles won't either. I just bought a new car and the accessories alone would take a fair bit of power to run. It would be a concern if I needed my battery to run my car (more than just start my engine).

Nope.

LOL @ you thinking anyplace in China is actually really going green or is not polluted.

Murphy
+1
My VWs, save one, had the engine block heat the surrounding air. The heated air moved (with no fan) down a tube into the cabin. IOW, virtually no heat.
Last edited by Murphy; Dec 22nd, 2017 at 11:53 PM..

petros
+1
Gasoline heaters in VWs

gopher
this is the only type of electric car you need in Canada, the USA, and the rest of the world:

petros
+1
Transit is for peasants.

Murphy
My 1969 semi-automatic Bug had a gas heater. A design flaw with it was that the gas line from the fuel tank ran on the outside of the vehicle, under the left front fender.

After several years of being exposed to road salt, the line developed a small hole. I was at the drive in, just before the movie started, and saw a bright light outside the car. It was actually a fire that was burning on my vehicle, reflected in the hub cap of the vehicle beside me. The guy saw it, started his car and tore out of there, taking the speaker with him.

I went into the confection stand and grabbed a fire extinguisher.

I got rid of the car shortly after that.

The up side was that the heat was instantaneous, and worked without the engine running.

petros
Eberspacher

gopher
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Transit is for peasants.

WRONG!

Even the royal types use electric transit:

Murphy
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-specs-updated

My concerns about these cars are:

1. Not enough range for one charge,
2. Lack of charging stations, and
3. Price. Value for for what you get. US prices put them in the mid $30s to purchase.

I pulled this from the Net. For a CDN VW e-Golf. 201 km range on one charge. $36335 + prep and taxes. Most of the VW Golf line is cheaper than their e-model. The wall charger is an additional $1000 + tax. No mention of it being included in the sale price of the vehicle.

https://vwmodels.ca/2018/egolf/?

According to driving.ca, the Golf ranges in price from $19,195 to $40,095. People are apt to spend $25000 on a Golf, not $36,000 on an e-Golf. Call it Family Economics.
Last edited by Murphy; Dec 23rd, 2017 at 12:17 AM..

petros
+2
What is the road tax per watt?

It's going to be "shocking" to use one of Wynne's favourite words.

No gasoline no diesel = no money for infrastructure.

Ontario drivers are covering most of the costs of road infrastructure, while those in the Toronto-Hamilton area are paying far more than their share, a new study has found.

The report released Thursday found Ontario road users driving cars, minivans, SUVs and light pickup trucks are paying 70 to 90 per cent of the costs of the road through fuel taxes, vehicle registration fees and tolls, to the tune of $7.5 billion a year

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle14901607/

In ON 14.7¢/litre is the rate.

Where is that going to come from for EVs?

They WILL get it one way or another.

https://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/fu...es-canada.aspx

Hoid
China launches the the NIO ES8 a 7 seater electric SUV.

It costs $65 K usd - half the price of a Tesla.

China is said to be considering an outright ban on gas powered cars within the next ten years or less - just like everyone else.

Curious Cdn
I like the idea of the plug-in hybrid, myself. Most day-to-day travel will be covered by the overnight charge but an on-board generator tops up the batteries when one exceeds the range of the overnight charge. It ain't sexy. It ain't "muscle car" but it drastically reduces emissions while still allowing us Canadians to transit this vast country of ours.

There is the issue, though of the electrical utilities having the capacity to produce so much more energy. It helps them some to have off-peak demand filled charging cars but when everybody is doing it, they will be hard pressed. We will need lots of new reactors to fuel our cars if we expect them to be "clean" emitters. Imagine burning coal to generate electricity for "green " vehicles. This will actually happen here and there on this planet.

Hoid

I like the idea of the plug-in hybrid, myself. Most day-to-day travel will be covered by the overnight charge but an on-board generator tops up the batteries when one exceeds the range of the overnight charge. It ain't sexy. It ain't "muscle car" but it drastically reduces emissions while still allowing us Canadians to transit this vast country of ours.

There is the issue, though of the electrical utilities having the capacity to produce so much more energy. It helps them some to have off-peak demand filled charging cars but when everybody is doing it, they will be hard pressed. We will need lots of new reactors to fuel our cars if we expect them to be "clean" emitters. Imagine burning coal to generate electricity for "green " vehicles. This will actually happen here and there on this planet.

in fact a Tesla will bury any muscle car that has ever been made.

the internal combustion engine is a joke.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

in fact a Tesla will bury any muscle car that has ever been made.

the internal combustion engine is a joke.

The internal combustion engine evolved our species when there were far fewer of us around but we can't all continue using them in a world with ten billion people living in it.

Danbones
+1

Centralized emissions is not eliminated emissions

just ask FukUshima

The internal combustion engine evolved our species when there were far fewer of us around but we can't all continue using them in a world with ten billion people living in it.

Funny the whole fascistnazicommieglobalist world turned down Dyson's exhaust cleaners.
If a car has NO suspension cushioning yer largus butus, and rock hard tires, a car can get 300 miles to the gallon, but nooooeee...Disposing of the resultant particulate would have been too expensive, so you got the tainted exhaust scandals like VWs.

Some folks need their a$$es pampered with real pampers.

Murphy
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

What is the road tax per watt?

It's going to be "shocking" to use one of Wynne's favourite words.

No gasoline no diesel = no money for infrastructure.

Ontario drivers are covering most of the costs of road infrastructure, while those in the Toronto-Hamilton area are paying far more than their share, a new study has found.

The report released Thursday found Ontario road users driving cars, minivans, SUVs and light pickup trucks are paying 70 to 90 per cent of the costs of the road through fuel taxes, vehicle registration fees and tolls, to the tune of $7.5 billion a year

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle14901607/

In ON 14.7¢/litre is the rate.

Where is that going to come from for EVs?

They WILL get it one way or another.

https://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/fu...es-canada.aspx

I think you'll see the Liberal govt tax anyone who purchased a solar system. They need to pay extra because they paid for their own hydro generation.

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-specs-updated

My concerns about these cars are:

1. Not enough range for one charge,
2. Lack of charging stations, and
3. Price. Value for for what you get. US prices put them in the mid $30s to purchase.

I pulled this from the Net. For a CDN VW e-Golf. 201 km range on one charge. $36335 + prep and taxes. Most of the VW Golf line is cheaper than their e-model. The wall charger is an additional $1000 + tax. No mention of it being included in the sale price of the vehicle.

https://vwmodels.ca/2018/egolf/?

According to driving.ca, the Golf ranges in price from $19,195 to $40,095. People are apt to spend $25000 on a Golf, not $36,000 on an e-Golf. Call it Family Economics.

The stats quoted relative to range do not take into account the effects of load (ie multiple passengers), elevation changes on hill climbing (etc) or battery performance impacted by cold ambient temps.

Only those using their EV to transport themselves in warm summer conditions in/around the inner cities will realize anything close to the published ranges

avro25
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

The stats quoted relative to range do not take into account the effects of load (ie multiple passengers), elevation changes on hill climbing (etc) or battery performance impacted by cold ambient temps.

Only those using their EV to transport themselves in warm summer conditions in/around the inner cities will realize anything close to the published ranges

Guess that's why Walmart and loblaws have purchased Tesla trucks.

They're dumb.