Strange Egg.

JLM
For the first time in my life when cracking eggs for breakfast this morning, I came across an egg with a double shell. Is that rare or am I just naive? The outer shell was cracked in the box, but upon closer examination I noticed another shell underneath. I ate the evidence. Was that a mistake?

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

For the first time in my life when cracking eggs for breakfast this morning, I came across an egg with a double shell. Is that rare or am I just naive? The outer shell was cracked in the box, but upon closer examination I noticed another shell underneath. I ate the evidence. Was that a mistake?

I don't know, take an aspirin, and call us back in the morning. lol

karrie
from what I know about eggs, you'll sometimes, very rarely, get a tiny egg inside, but not two shells one on top of the other. What DOES happen sometimes though is that the membrane under the shell is very tough, and doesn't break when the shell does. If left to the open air long, such as would happen in this case, that membrane can harden. But, without seeing it, I wouldn't know for sure.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

from what I know about eggs, you'll sometimes, very rarely, get a tiny egg inside, but not two shells one on top of the other. What DOES happen sometimes though is that the membrane under the shell is very tough, and doesn't break when the shell does. If left to the open air long, such as would happen in this case, that membrane can harden. But, without seeing it, I wouldn't know for sure.

This one had two distinct shells that separated when I cracked them. Hope I didn't throw away a $million

karrie
you might have... silly boy.

gerryh
used to raise free range hens..... and we did come across double shelled eggs once in a while. Seems to be a phenomenon peculiar to older laying hens.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

you might have... silly boy.

Oh well, not to worry, it probably would have just corrupted me anyway....................

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

used to raise free range hens..... and we did come across double shelled eggs once in a while. Seems to be a phenomenon peculiar to older laying hens.

Glad to hear that - thought I'd eaten up a potential fortune.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

It's news to me, JLM, and I've been collecting chicken eggs most of my life. lol The only thing I thought of was that it wasn't really a second shell but a hardened inner membrane.