Liberals to announce marijuana will be legal by July 1, 2018

tay
Marc Emery was right; Julian Fantino was wrong

Stephen Maher: The activist faces a huge fine and will be locked out of the legal weed business. The former cop is set to cash in.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/marc-emery-was-right-julian-fantino-was-wrong/

White_Unifier
What we should do is criminalize marijuana smoke and legalize marijuana brownies and cookies. The stuff's not even legal yet and I already get assaulted by marijuana smoke every few weeks when I go downtown. Seriously, I each time I want to shove that joint down the smoker's throat if he likes it so damn much.

Same with tobacco. I have no qualms with chewing tobacco. Chew and spit it all ou want, but please don't smoke that crap in public.

Walter
+3
The bikers and MAFIA have made billions on the doobie trade. Now that the feds are taking over you know it'll cost the taxpayers billions to subsidize this endeavour.

Decapoda
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

So, in July of 2018 it will be cool. But until then, B!tches, we catch you toking you be charged!

The Liberal government will announce legislation next month that will legalize marijuana in Canada by July 1, 2018.
CBC News has learned that the legislation will be announced during the week of April 10 and will broadly follow the recommendation of a federally appointed task force that was chaired by former liberal Justice Minister Anne McLellan.

Nope!! Junior now concedes he must have been high when he said that.

“The date will not be July 1, I can assure you of that,” Trudeau said. “I don’t know where that date came from.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/3926121/t...n-next-summer/

petros
+2
Oh gees, that's funny.

darkbeaver
Republican
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

What we should do is criminalize marijuana smoke and legalize marijuana brownies and cookies. The stuff's not even legal yet and I already get assaulted by marijuana smoke every few weeks when I go downtown. Seriously, I each time I want to shove that joint down the smoker's throat if he likes it so damn much.

Same with tobacco. I have no qualms with chewing tobacco. Chew and spit it all ou want, but please don't smoke that crap in public.

It's cannabis WU, nobody smokes a US government contrivance.

Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

The bikers and MAFIA have made billions on the doobie trade. Now that the feds are taking over you know it'll cost the taxpayers billions to subsidize this endeavour.

Why have you forgotten the biggest winner in the illegal trade? The US government.

Decapoda
+4
#247  Top Rated Post

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
They need a bribe for the next election

even Chretien played the same game to win elections.

EagleSmack
Liberals HATE seeing other people have a good time.

Colpy
Conservative
Pot consumers paying less than $7 a gram, Statistics Canada survey finds

Cannabis is cheapest in Quebec and most expensive in Northwest Territories

By Kathleen Harris, CBC News Posted: Feb 08, 2018 4:00 AM ET Last Updated: Feb 08, 2018 8:15 AM ET

A crowdsourcing initiative by Statistics Canada on pot pricing drew 15,000 participants. (CBC)

Canadians pay an average of less than $7 a gram for pot, according to Statistics Canada data collected through a crowdsourcing pilot project.
More than 15,000 Canadians have participated in StatsCan's online survey since Jan. 25, exceeding expectations of 1,000 to 2,000 entries.
Broken down by province and territory, the average price for a gram of dried cannabis ranges from a low of $5.89 in Quebec to a high of $11.89 in Northwest Territories, compared to the nationwide average of $6.79, according to the data provided to CBC News.
In the online survey form, StatsCan provides 2017 price estimates averaged from a variety of sources, which are higher than the data collected through this crowdsourcing initiative. StatsCan economist Conrad Barber-Dueck said this sample might report lower prices because it includes a higher rate of daily users who generally buy in bigger, cheaper quantities.

Asked if people might be lowballing the price in order to drive down the retail price when cannabis becomes legal, the agency said it's hard to see collusion.
  • Black market for pot won't end overnight
  • StatsCan crowdsources on pot pricing
  • Pot businesses worth billions
"We don't know if people are misreporting, although at nearly 16,000 respondents from across the country, it would be difficult for respondents to have a co-ordinated effort to skew the results," said Barber-Dueck.
StatsCan has been quality controlling the responses to make sure robots or "silly answers" aren't included, and so far only two per cent have been discarded.
The average price reported is lower than the $10-a-gram estimate used when the federal government reached a tax revenue-sharing agreement with the provinces and territories in December.
StatsCan is crowdsourcing to gather information about why Canadians use pot — and how much they pay for it.
Cannabis is cheapest to buy in Quebec and most expensive in Northwest Territories. (Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg)

In what is a first for the federal agency, it launched the cannabis crowdsourcing initiative to try to fill in information gaps as Canada gets set to legalize marijuana. The online questionnaire asks consumers what price they paid for what quantity and quality, what city it was purchased in and whether it was used to medicate or use recreationally.
Health and safety

The Liberal government has framed its legalization plan around health and safety, arguing a regulated regime will keep marijuana away from minors and wipe out the illicit black market.
At a recent cabinet retreat in London, Ont., Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said anyone now purchasing pot is funding criminal organizations and gangs.
Many experts have warned that it could take years to make a dent in the black market, as businesses ramp up to meet demand and stabilize pricing.
Competitive pricing is considered a key factor in wiping out the black market. While illegal sellers can undercut the retail market in pricing, some consumers in other jurisdictions such as Alaska have shown a preference for the regulated, tested product purchased in a retail location, even if it is more expensive.
Displacing black market

Thierry Bélair, spokesperson for Health Minister Ginette Petitpas Taylor, said the legislative regime will allow a competitive legal market that aims to displace the illegal market. Provinces and territories will be responsible for regulating, distributing and overseeing the retail sale of cannabis after legalization and can set prices accordingly.
"We are confident legalization and regulation will help dramatically reduce the market share for organized crime," Bélair said in an email.
Under the new system, consumers will access to a product that will be regulated and tested, unlike the illegal cannabis sold now, he added.

Pot consumers paying less than $7 a gram, Statistics Canada survey finds - Politics - CBC News

$10 a gram? Plus Taxes?

These idiots are actually going to take up drug dealing.......and lose money.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Pot consumers paying less than $7 a gram, Statistics Canada survey finds

Cannabis is cheapest in Quebec and most expensive in Northwest Territories

By Kathleen Harris, CBC News Posted: Feb 08, 2018 4:00 AM ET Last Updated: Feb 08, 2018 8:15 AM ET

A crowdsourcing initiative by Statistics Canada on pot pricing drew 15,000 participants. (CBC)

Canadians pay an average of less than $7 a gram for pot, according to Statistics Canada data collected through a crowdsourcing pilot project.
More than 15,000 Canadians have participated in StatsCan's online survey since Jan. 25, exceeding expectations of 1,000 to 2,000 entries.
Broken down by province and territory, the average price for a gram of dried cannabis ranges from a low of $5.89 in Quebec to a high of $11.89 in Northwest Territories, compared to the nationwide average of $6.79, according to the data provided to CBC News.
In the online survey form, StatsCan provides 2017 price estimates averaged from a variety of sources, which are higher than the data collected through this crowdsourcing initiative. StatsCan economist Conrad Barber-Dueck said this sample might report lower prices because it includes a higher rate of daily users who generally buy in bigger, cheaper quantities.

Asked if people might be lowballing the price in order to drive down the retail price when cannabis becomes legal, the agency said it's hard to see collusion.

• Black market for pot won't end overnight
  • StatsCan crowdsources on pot pricing
  • Pot businesses worth billions
"We don't know if people are misreporting, although at nearly 16,000 respondents from across the country, it would be difficult for respondents to have a co-ordinated effort to skew the results," said Barber-Dueck.
StatsCan has been quality controlling the responses to make sure robots or "silly answers" aren't included, and so far only two per cent have been discarded.
The average price reported is lower than the $10-a-gram estimate used when the federal government reached a tax revenue-sharing agreement with the provinces and territories in December.
StatsCan is crowdsourcing to gather information about why Canadians use pot — and how much they pay for it.
Cannabis is cheapest to buy in Quebec and most expensive in Northwest Territories. (Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg)

In what is a first for the federal agency, it launched the cannabis crowdsourcing initiative to try to fill in information gaps as Canada gets set to legalize marijuana. The online questionnaire asks consumers what price they paid for what quantity and quality, what city it was purchased in and whether it was used to medicate or use recreationally.
Health and safety

The Liberal government has framed its legalization plan around health and safety, arguing a regulated regime will keep marijuana away from minors and wipe out the illicit black market.
At a recent cabinet retreat in London, Ont., Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said anyone now purchasing pot is funding criminal organizations and gangs.
Many experts have warned that it could take years to make a dent in the black market, as businesses ramp up to meet demand and stabilize pricing.
Competitive pricing is considered a key factor in wiping out the black market. While illegal sellers can undercut the retail market in pricing, some consumers in other jurisdictions such as Alaska have shown a preference for the regulated, tested product purchased in a retail location, even if it is more expensive.
Displacing black market

Thierry Bélair, spokesperson for Health Minister Ginette Petitpas Taylor, said the legislative regime will allow a competitive legal market that aims to displace the illegal market. Provinces and territories will be responsible for regulating, distributing and overseeing the retail sale of cannabis after legalization and can set prices accordingly.
"We are confident legalization and regulation will help dramatically reduce the market share for organized crime," Bélair said in an email.
Under the new system, consumers will access to a product that will be regulated and tested, unlike the illegal cannabis sold now, he added.

Pot consumers paying less than $7 a gram, Statistics Canada survey finds - Politics - CBC News

$10 a gram? Plus Taxes?

Well look at how well run the lottery is .

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy

$10 a gram? Plus Taxes?

1985 prices.

Danbones
Free Thinker
Today's single gram price around here
Street price for an OZ of street medical is 150. (28 grams)

...and the profits stay local and go back into the local economy.

The government already deals or at least pays for opium pills so anybody mad about weed better deal with that reality first. That's where the real money is. It's how a lot of old folks stretch their pensions out.
Last edited by Danbones; Feb 8th, 2018 at 12:15 PM..

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Today's single gram price around here
Street price for an OZ of street medical is 150. (28 grams)

Ouch!

Danbones
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

The bikers and mafia HAVE become the government...just google "mena airport" in clinton land with "drugs", or read about any number of CIA dope dealing escapades...like getting all of California hooked on coke "freeway Ricky Ross" or the CIA rendition jet that crashed in mexico with 4 tons of un cut coke on board because they ran out of fuel on the way north, or OLLIE NORTH, and the dope for guns thing, or Eric Holder, obama's AG, and "fast and furious".

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

1985 prices.

The man is a f**king idiot anyway. He just pulled the July 1, 2018 out of his head w/o checking with anyone involved in it to see if all the necessary preliminary work could be done by then. Now there is some doubt in B.C. if the testing will be in place to charge impaired drivers. That's all we need on our highways added to cell phone users and texters and the drunks and a multitude of other idiots who shouldn't be driving in the first place.

Danbones
Free Thinker
news flash

The road is already full of those drivers ( for the last 50 years now)...
and you didn't notice?

What's that tell you?

JLM
No Party Affiliation

news flash

The road is already full of those drivers ( for the last 50 years now)...
and you didn't notice?

What's that tell you?

Yep, but until now it's been illegal, so I guess he may as well legalize that too!

Danbones
Free Thinker
I was just suggesting you deal with the actual facts before getting all judgemental

So you are one of those that never drives after, or while, drinking eh?
That's such a rare thing in Canada.

I wish I knew cops that were that sterling in character while off duty.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

I was just suggesting you deal with the actual facts before getting all judgemental

So you are one of those that never drives after, or while, drinking eh?
That's such a rare thing in Canada.

I wish I knew cops that were that sterling in character while off duty.

I've probably driven more miles while pissed to the eyeballs than 99% of people. About 30 years ago I made a decision I wasn't going to do that any more, while I was still ahead of the game and hadn't hurt anyone. So I think I'm in a position to make all the judgments I like!

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

if the testing will be in place to charge impaired drivers. That's all we need on our highways added to cell phone users and texters and the drunks and a multitude of other idiots who shouldn't be driving in the first place.

It already is in place.

Pot shops were popping up like crazy. In Regina the Police gave the 17 medical stores running to Feb 1st to close.

Most have, some haven't.

OpposingDigit
I have always claimed that Trudeau does not want legalized pot on the streets until after the next election. Trudeau can not have wall-to-wall TV filming huge parties as though the Leafs had won the Stanley Cup. Nor can Trudeau have film of some sorrowful mother crying about her child being killed by a driver high on pot prior to the next election.

Trudeau is already talking about the provinces not being ready and just recently at the senate hearings, it was said that although pot may be legalized on July 1st, the pot stores will not have any product because it is illegal to transport the pot prior to it becoming legal. So there are delays expected as to when pot will be available for sale. (On July 1st, it will be legal, but not for sale.)

I suspect that pot will not be available for sale until after the next election.

petros

The bikers and mafia HAVE become the government...just google "mena airport" in clinton land with "drugs", or read about any number of CIA dope dealing escapades...like getting all of California hooked on coke "freeway Ricky Ross" or the CIA rendition jet that crashed in mexico with 4 tons of un cut coke on board because they ran out of fuel on the way north, or OLLIE NORTH, and the dope for guns thing, or Eric Holder, obama's AG, and "fast and furious".

It's why I believe Govt is behind the fentanyl crisis.

Is there a cheaper more effective way to clear out junkies and the $250K they each cost society per year?

OpposingDigit
I think that the only reason they are making pot legal is because they don't need the "Policing" pretense anymore.

Too many middle class kids getting busted and the ruination of lives with an arrest record.

They simply traded off one bogey man for another.

Pot laws were always about controlling young people. The legal right to stop/search and harass young people.

Not to worry .... the anti-terrorism legislation has all the powers (and more) to accomplish or utilize the same methods of controlling young people.

My major hang-up with the anti-terror legislation is that if they can't find a bale of Mary-Do-Yuh-Wanna (millions of bales) being transported across Canada, then how are they gonna find a terrorist? A terrorist can't possibly smell as pungent as a bale of weed.

However, they now have the anti-terror legislation and NSA surveillance in place which is far more intrusive than any anti-pot laws were.

Think back to drunk driving ..... The cops were stopping/searching vehicles without cause.

I remember when the Supreme Court told the cops that they could not stop people driving a car and to search it without just cause.

Within a month, a new advertising campaign hit the media. The cops invented the "Town Drunk" and did so at Christmas time. Pictures of kids losing a Mother due to a drunk driver echoed within the media. (Why didn't they Just pass a law and where parking lots at bars and nightclubs were not allowed?)

Initially, the "searches" were done during the Christmas season. (R.I.D.E.)

Then, the May 24th holiday and now all day and everyday, the cops can stop your vehicle and search passengers.

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
I just worked it out and I pay about $5 to $6 A gram when I buy a half ounce or more and it's primo stuff.

OpposingDigit
Hi! Petros:

It seems to me that each war NATO is involved in, drugs of every type begin to enter communities. The Vietnam War and the Afganistan war are prime examples.

"The heroin crisis then and now is a direct consequence of the Military-Industrial Complex. During the 1970’s, around the same time during the Vietnam War, heroin made its way to the United States from the Golden Triangle which became an epidemic. It was estimated that more than 200,000 people in New York City alone were using heroin. At one point in time, you were able to find used syringes on public playgrounds."

Up to 93% of the world's opium comes from Afghanistan. Who buys the (4800 tons in 2016) opium harvests; refines them into heroin; controls the export routes; and then sell them for humongous profit? Who is supplying the huge amount of chemicals required to refine the heroin product? How is it possible to transport the finished heroin product undetected by Western forces?

“Afghanistan has roughly 500,000 acres, or about 780 square miles, devoted to growing opium poppy. That’s equivalent to more than 400,000 U.S. football fields — including the end zones.”

I think that CIA external operations are financed from the profits.
Last edited by OpposingDigit; Feb 8th, 2018 at 02:53 PM..

JLM
No Party Affiliation

It already is in place.

Pot shops were popping up like crazy. In Regina the Police gave the 17 medical stores running to Feb 1st to close.

Most have, some haven't.

Right on, the only ones that make a difference is the ones - maybe 5 or 10% who won't do it while it's against the law.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

I just worked it out and I pay about $5 to $6 A gram when I buy a half ounce or more and it's primo stuff.

Anything over $120 oz-$140 oz is a burn. Even weed stores start prices at $5gr

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Right on, the only ones that make a difference is the ones - maybe 5 or 10% who won't do it while it's against the law.

I'd expect 24hr suspensions will skyrocket.

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation

Anything over $120 oz-$140 oz is a burn. Even weed stores start prices at $5gr

Really? I need to check out these places the next time in in Toronto.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

Really? I need to check out these places the next time in in Toronto.

Trudy is getting the cops to shut them down, medical or not.

There were 17 of them in Regina. Not sure how many now after Feb 1st cease and desist order went out.