Canada bans government meteorologists from talking about climate change

Locutus
ouch

International news eh.

Canada bans government meteorologists from talking about climate change

• Meteorologists with the Canadian government aren't allowed to speak publicly about climate change
  • A spokesperson said the policy is because meteorologists are not climate experts
  • Other federal scientists must seek permission to speak to media
  • The measures are part of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Communication Protocol
  • Critics say Harper is trying to muzzle experts
  • The federal Environment Canada agency says there has been an 80 per cent reduction in media coverage of climate change in Canada
  • A study by the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada reports that 90 per cent of federal scientists feel they are not allowed to speak freely about their work
  • Eighty-six per cent feel they would face censure for doing so - even if it was for the benefit of the public

more

Canada bans government meteorologists from talking about climate change | Mail Online

mentalfloss
Are they going to ban politicians from talking about climate change because the aren't experts as well?

DaSleeper
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
We're OK here.......

We have you.....................

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Are they going to ban politicians from talking about climate change because the aren't experts as well?

We can only hope.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

We're OK here.......

We have you.....................

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

We can only hope.

Ban the politicians first then and not the people who are tangentially related.

petros
+2
Flawssy. There is new info on overreacting.org you haven't posted yet.

captain morgan
+2
As long as the gvt is paying the freight, the poor wee meteorological lasses will have to obey their employer.

... Then again, they can always quit and see if some ecotard lobby will pay them

mentalfloss
Are you guys saying that meteorologists aren't credible on this issue?

petros
Govt employees never had the ability to speak directly about what they are working on.

captain morgan

No... The message was perfectly clear

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

No... The message was perfectly clear

Well then.

I guess that means you'll stop looking to the meteorologist, Anthony Watts for your talking points.

I'll remember to bring up this point next time you do.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Excellent idea.

captain morgan

Well then.

I guess that means you'll stop looking to the meteorologist, Anthony Watts for your talking points.

I'll remember to bring up this point next time you do.

Does Watts work for the Feds?

IdRatherBeSkiing

I thought weather was not climate change ... unless its really bad weather then it is ... or so I have been told.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I thought weather was not climate change ... unless its really bad weather then it is ... or so I have been told.

How do Polar Vortexes fit in with Global Warming?

It's just so confusing.. I wish I could get a hold of a program or playbill or something

mentalfloss

Does Watts work for the Feds?

Does the credibility of meteorologists only apply to public meteorologists?

captain morgan

Does the credibility of meteorologists only apply to public meteorologists?

So, you're answer that you don't want to provide is that Watts does not work for the Feds.

'Nuff said

mentalfloss

So, you're answer that you don't want to provide is that Watts does not work for the Feds.

'Nuff said

What's nuff said is that you agree that meteorologists of all stripes are not credible on the issue but you will still look to them to support denialist claims.

captain morgan
'Nuff said

Time to move on here....

Zipperfish
Weird to find a story on an 8-year old government communications policy in the British Press today. Related to a media blitz by the scientists' union, I bet.

Anthony Watts is American. He worked for TV station, I believe. Not sure if he still does, but he probably rakes in quite a bit from his blog/speakers fees.

But the Captain is right--you follow the orders of your boss or hit the road. If Canadians don't like not having access to the scientiosts they are paying, they can register their opinion at the polling booth.

Corduroy
+1
So the government is suppressing scientific information and the most common response "you should do as your boss says".

How fuct is that? I mean seriously, not only do you not care about the suppression of important information but you relish in obedience. You Con supporters are closet fascists, aren't you?

damngrumpy
The voices of many are overreactions and many of us are tired of hearing about it.
I am waiting for the next big thing, we've saved the seals, the spotted owls the
whales and wolves, surely to god there is something else they can latch onto and
suck the contrition well dry these people have done enough damage the average light
bulb is going to cost 35 bucks pretty soon. I bought hundreds of the old kind so I won't
worry for a few years.
On the other hand no I think the government has gone overboard here Harper wants to
control everything cause he wants to play the role of control freak. Public debate is a
good thing we should not dumb down the collection of ideas. I don't buy all the bull they
are putting out but silencing them is not good either

Zipperfish
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

So the government is suppressing scientific information and the most common response "you should do as your boss says".

How fuct is that? I mean seriously, not only do you not care about the suppression of important information but you relish in obedience. You Con supporters are closet fascists, aren't you?

I care about it. I'm not in favour of it at all. And I hope people Heave Steve in 2015. This is the most secretive government in history, while at the same time they have launched unprecedented surveillance on the people of Canada.

Nuggler

Not so much closet

captain morgan

These folks are free to leave their position and speak their mind.

Locutus
+1
maybe they can become like their brethren, the tv 'meteorologist', aka weather presenter.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

maybe they can become like their brethren, the tv 'meteorologist', aka weather presenter.

How come the meteorologists on TV can't do their segment naked?

Is it some kind of dress code enforced by their dastardly employer?

Are they being silenced based on the whims of 'da man'?

..... These questions and more answered in our next thrilling episode of "My boss is a big ole meanie"

petros

How do Polar Vortexes fit in with Global Warming?

It's just so confusing.. I wish I could get a hold of a program or playbill or something

They don't. Circumpolar winds (vortex) are a geomagnetic thing.

captain morgan
+1
We'll be needing some kind of program for this like you get at the hockey games.

Tecumsehsbones
Who takes the King's shilling does the King's bidding.