Wind Turbine Blades Can’t Be Recycled, So They’re Piling Up in Landfills

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...p-in-landfills

Twin_Moose
+3
The Green new deal Lol

Jinentonix
+4
#3  Top Rated Post
Wind may be renewable but the resources to replace turbines every 20-25 years are finite. So is the land space that's needed.

NZDoug
Aircraft prop blades can be rebuilt, hence, there are companies, like Hartzell and Hamilton Standard repair facilities..
What is exactly the problem with the blades?

Ron in Regina
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by NZDoug View Post

Aircraft prop blades can be rebuilt, hence, there are companies, like Hartzell and Hamilton Standard repair facilities..

Perhaps the issue is the scale. Maybe the infrastructure for dealing with things of the size does not currently exist?

B00Mer
+2

I don't know maybe it's right in the title..

Wind Turbine Blades Can’t Be Recycled , So They’re Piling Up in Landfills

NZDoug
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

I don't know maybe it's right in the title..
Wind Turbine Blades Can’t Be Recycled , So They’re Piling Up in Landfills

I can't read the whole article as my free Bloomburg article monthly quota has been met, but I query why they don't rebuild them.
I got as far as maybe they could be used to "Build the wall".
New wind turbine blade are now in existence, which look like a twisted Spearmint gum stick, only big, and brightly painted, which eliminates bird strike and noise levels are greatly reduced.
My neighbour has one.
Im looking at getting one, as I have solar.
It would get me off the grid!

Twin_Moose
+1

Unlike airplane props they are hollow and need to flex to work properly, any major repair will make them brittle

Blackleaf
+1
That's ironic.

petros
+2
Fibreglass

taxslave
+1

The small ones are 30 meters long. Made from aluminum and a bunch of fossil fuel derived compounds. They crack. The ones on the north end of Vancouver island corroded from the salt air. Who knew? Anyways they can't even be separated economically to salvage the aluminum.

Mowich
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Wind Turbine Blades Can’t Be Recycled, So They’re Piling Up in Landfills

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...p-in-landfills

"Tens of thousands of aging blades are coming down from steel towers around the world and most have nowhere to go but landfills. In the U.S. alone, about 8,000 will be removed in each of the next four years. Europe, which has been dealing with the problem longer, has about 3,800 coming down annually through at least 2022, according to BloombergNEF. It’s going to get worse: Most were built more than a decade ago, when installations were less than a fifth of what they are now.

Built to withstand hurricane-force winds, the blades can’t easily be crushed, recycled or repurposed. That’s created an urgent search for alternatives in places that lack wide-open prairies. In the U.S., they go to the handful of landfills that accept them, in Lake Mills, Iowa; Sioux Falls, South Dakota; and Casper, where they will be interred in stacks that reach 30 feet under."

Mowich
+1
www.appropedia.org/Recycling_of_wind_turbine_blades

petros
+2
I know what I would do to re-purpose them but I'm a genius so the solution took seconds.

I'd fill them with rebar, a PVC conduit and concrete and use them as utility or street light poles.