Kobe Bryant dead

Girth
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

But he is a heeroo. Not PC to bring up his past unless the twitter sphere finds out he voted republican.

It is ironic you mention that, since what she was doing was considered "PC." She was implying that he should not be honored, since he had a sexual assault case levied against him in 2003. Fans and others are calling her out for attempting to be "PC."

There are certain unwritten rules in society. One of them is not to speak ill-will about the dead shortly after they pass away, especially if it is in a tragic accident where his daughter and 8 other people died. This columnist had 16 years to throw shade on Bryant, yet decides to do it the day he is killed? That not only makes for questionable timing, but puts in question the female columnist's moral character.

The fact that she was amused by all the negative publicity, and numerous members of the media coming out and defending her, speaks volumes about bad journalistic ethics. She should ahve waited at least a week, to retweet the story, not a few hours after the man died.

Girth
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I rather doubt most humans have heard of Mr Bryant.
As for saying basketball is popular in most of Europe, again I disagree.
Football is the religion of most of Europe. We do have the odd basketball hoop hither and thither but they tend to go rusty and unused as kids play football underneath.

Basketball is not that popular in the UK, unlike mainland Europe, so I can see why you are saying what you are. The same cannot be said for Spain, Portugal, the Balkans, France, Greece, the former Soviet Union (especially the Baltic States), and possibly Italy.

Nobody ever said basketball was bigger than soccer.

Dixie Cup
+2
I feel bad for the family - to lose their dad & a sibling is horrible. I also feel sad as the 7 month and 3 year old likely won't remember either one of them growing up.

Hoid
No, Kobe Bryant didn’t tweet about having dirt on Hillary Clinton before his helicopter crashed

https://www.politifact.com/facebook-...ng-dirt-hilla/

you guys kill me

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

Basketball is not that popular in the UK, unlike mainland Europe, so I can see why you are saying what you are. The same cannot be said for Spain, Portugal, the Balkans, France, Greece, the former Soviet Union (especially the Baltic States), and possibly Italy.
Nobody ever said basketball was bigger than soccer.

Come on. You're being daft. Basketball isn't popular in those countries. Spain is the country of Real Madrid and Barcelona. They've got no time for silly games like basketball.

Girth

I rather doubt most humans have heard of Mr Bryant.
As for saying basketball is popular in most of Europe, again I disagree.
Football is the religion of most of Europe. We do have the odd basketball hoop hither and thither but they tend to go rusty and unused as kids play football underneath.

You need to travel outside of the UK

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

You need to travel outside of the UK

I don't need to travel outside of the UK to know that in countries like Spain football is the national religion, like Islam in Iran. I know that just by being a British football fan. Football is a religion in Spain and France, just as in Britain. Spaniards worship the likes of Ronaldo and Messi, not Bryant.

Girth

I don't need to travel outside of the UK to know that in countries like Spain football is the national religion, like Islam in Iran. I know that just by being a British football fan. Football is a religion in Spain and France, just as in Britain. Spaniards worship the likes of Ronaldo and Messi, not Bryant.

In other words, since hockey in Canada is the equivalent of soccer in Spain, we should never have heard of Kobe Bryant either, since we are only allowed to follow one sport. CFL, NFL, and NBA be damned.

spaminator
+1
BBC sorry for confusing LeBron James for Kobe Bryant during live segment
WENN - World Entertainment News Network
Published:
January 27, 2020
Updated:
January 27, 2020 1:36 PM EST
BBC officials have apologized after mistakenly airing footage of basketball star Lebron James during a segment on the death of fellow National Basketball Association (NBA) player Kobe Bryant.
The 41-year-old and his daughter, Gianna, 13, were travelling to one of her basketball games in his private helicopter when it crashed in Calabasas on Sunday morning. Both were among a reported nine people who lost their lives.
However, during coverage of the tragic incident, BBC’s News At Ten programme aired footage of James beating Bryant’s career points tally, and failed to explain why viewers were seeing James on screen rather than Bryant.
Viewers pointed out the error online, criticizing the BBC for confusing the two prominent black basketball stars.
At the end of the bulletin, newsreader Reeta Chakrabarti apologized for the earlier on-screen error saying: “In our coverage of the death of Kobe Bryant, in one section of the report, we mistakenly showed pictures of another basketball player, LeBron James.
“We do apologize for the error,” she added.
Paul Royall, editor of BBC News at Six and Ten, also posted an apology on Twitter, saying the programme “mistakenly used pictures of LeBron James in one section of the report”.
He added: “We apologize for this human error which fell below our usual standards on the programme.”
Numerous stars have taken to social media to share tributes to the victims of the crash, with the Recording Academy’s interim chief Harvey Mason, Jr. holding a “moment of silence” as he opened the 2020 Grammy Awards on Sunday.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oYR-uzpRrzc
http://torontosun.com/entertainment/...g-live-segment

Blackleaf
On Sunday night I was round at my parents' house. I was sat in the living room with my dad eating Black Forest Gateau as we watched a classic episode of Poirot. My mum was in the dining room on the PC and eating Black Forest Gateau when we heard her say "That American footballer Kobe Bryant had died in a helicopter crash." So she'd actually heard of him, even though she doesn't like sports, apart from the gymnastics in the Olympics every four years.

I just thought: "Was he one of those negroes who co-present the Superbowl live on Channel 4 (or is it Channel 5?) in the early hours of the morning every year, including that one with the American accent even though he's British?"

It turns out he wasn't.
Last edited by Blackleaf; 3 weeks ago at 09:15 PM..

spaminator
+1
Evan Rachel Wood slammed for calling Kobe Bryant 'rapist' hours after his death
Published:
January 28, 2020
Updated:
January 28, 2020 11:39 AM EST
Top 10 Kobe Bryant Moments
featured by
Evan Rachel Wood was criticized after she took aim at the late basketball player Kobe Bryant following his shock death on Sunday, calling the NBA player a “rapist”.
The Los Angeles Lakers legend was just 41 when he was killed in a helicopter crash in California on Sunday, alongside eight other passengers, including his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna.
http://twitter.com/evanrachelwood/st...42230457905152
While tributes poured in from stars worldwide, Westworld star Wood attracted criticism for unearthing sexual assault accusations made against him almost 17 years earlier by a 19-year-old Colorado hotel employee.
“He was a sports hero. He was also a rapist,” the 32-year-old tweeted. “And all of these truths can exist simultaneously.”
Bryant was never prosecuted over the claims and, taking to the comments of the post, fans of the star were quick to condemn her over the “attention-seeking” post.
Story continues below
And this is where the Me too movement has gotten out of control… attacking a man who literally just died less than 24 hours ago, with his little girl!
Was it proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he raped somebody? Did he go to jail? Was he charged?
— Catherine (Kathleen) Curtin (@kathleencurtinc) January 27, 2020
“And this is where the Me too movement has gotten out of control … attacking a man who literally just died less than 24 hours ago, with his little girl!” one fan wrote, while a second added, “These things need to be taken seriously and your (sic) just looking for attention after him and his daughter JUST died. Wow.”
Another user called the star a “narcissistic disappointment”.
Wood tried to calm the criticism on Monday, asking for “kindness and respect to all.”
http://twitter.com/evanrachelwood/st...78619485532160
“Beloveds, this was not a condemnation or a celebration. It was a reminder that everyone will have different feelings and there is room for us all to grieve together instead of fighting,” she wrote, saying that “everyone has lost”.
You don't get to cover that bullshit you did with third rate greeting card platitudes. It's like y'all have a compulsion to shoehorn yourselves into other people's pain and running back to victimhood when checked.
— Torraine Walker (@TorraineWalker) January 27, 2020
However, the tweet only prompted further outrage, with one fan snapping back, “You don’t get to cover that bulls— you did with third rate greeting card platitudes.”
http://torontosun.com/entertainment/...fter-his-death

Girth
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

Evan Rachel Wood slammed for calling Kobe Bryant 'rapist' hours after his death
Published:
January 28, 2020
Updated:
January 28, 2020 11:39 AM EST
Top 10 Kobe Bryant Moments
featured by
Evan Rachel Wood was criticized after she took aim at the late basketball player Kobe Bryant following his shock death on Sunday, calling the NBA player a “rapist”.
The Los Angeles Lakers legend was just 41 when he was killed in a helicopter crash in California on Sunday, alongside eight other passengers, including his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna.
http://twitter.com/evanrachelwood/st...42230457905152
While tributes poured in from stars worldwide, Westworld star Wood attracted criticism for unearthing sexual assault accusations made against him almost 17 years earlier by a 19-year-old Colorado hotel employee.
“He was a sports hero. He was also a rapist,” the 32-year-old tweeted. “And all of these truths can exist simultaneously.”
Bryant was never prosecuted over the claims and, taking to the comments of the post, fans of the star were quick to condemn her over the “attention-seeking” post.
Story continues below
And this is where the Me too movement has gotten out of control… attacking a man who literally just died less than 24 hours ago, with his little girl!
Was it proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he raped somebody? Did he go to jail? Was he charged?
— Catherine (Kathleen) Curtin (@kathleencurtinc) January 27, 2020
“And this is where the Me too movement has gotten out of control … attacking a man who literally just died less than 24 hours ago, with his little girl!” one fan wrote, while a second added, “These things need to be taken seriously and your (sic) just looking for attention after him and his daughter JUST died. Wow.”
Another user called the star a “narcissistic disappointment”.
Wood tried to calm the criticism on Monday, asking for “kindness and respect to all.”
http://twitter.com/evanrachelwood/st...78619485532160
“Beloveds, this was not a condemnation or a celebration. It was a reminder that everyone will have different feelings and there is room for us all to grieve together instead of fighting,” she wrote, saying that “everyone has lost”.
You don't get to cover that bullshit you did with third rate greeting card platitudes. It's like y'all have a compulsion to shoehorn yourselves into other people's pain and running back to victimhood when checked.
— Torraine Walker (@TorraineWalker) January 27, 2020
However, the tweet only prompted further outrage, with one fan snapping back, “You don’t get to cover that bulls— you did with third rate greeting card platitudes.”
http://torontosun.com/entertainment/...fter-his-death

What cowards. These people had almost 17 years to call out Kobe Bryant during his life. I guess it's safer to piss on a man's grave than it is to do it while he is above ground.