Ontario barbers forced to learn women's styling techniques

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Oh great, there's another license. Liquor license.

Lol.

As long as they would give the same cut and a beer to a female client there should be no problem. Think of it as a specialty cut.

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

As long as they would give the same cut and a beer to a female client there should be no problem. Think of it as a specialty cut.

I'll cut your hair and get ya rip-snortin' hammered to boot... I'll even do it for friend-prices

Mind you, you'll probably be needing a bunch of liquor to settle your mind over the final result.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

One thing I don't want to be when sitting in chair and letting someone come at with scissors is inhebriated. Lol.

taxslave
+2
WE still have a couple of old style barber shops. Since my hairline is receding like the tide on a mud flat and I do washnwear anyway a barber is all I need.

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

I'll cut your hair and get ya rip-snortin' hammered to boot... I'll even do it for friend-prices

Mind you, you'll probably be needing a bunch of liquor to settle your mind over the final result.

*lmao*

listen if you knew how much money I just gave my stylist yesterday you would go for it...he put the wrong colour on it (partially my fault) and I don't know about the cut yet, it takes a few days to settle down from the shock of the cut. But have to say, he is not getting it lately because the cut has been dicey more than once lately (no pun intended on dicey) ...and before I leave, he likes to make my hair big and puffy like I am going to an Italian wedding.

He is cutting too many rich old, lady heads that have 15 hairs on it...he knows how to make them think their hair is big...jazuz it is frightening. If he knew that the 20 minute blow dry gets flattened two minutes after I'm in the door he would not be happy.

lilly26
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Welcome to Wynnetario.

Barbers in Ontario are facing the prospect of being forced back to school to learn how to do things like highlights and perms, some of them after decades of experience cutting men's hair.

New provincial legislation forces about 300,000 tradespeople to be certified in their trade, from electricians to home contractors.
In 1998, the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities grouped all trades related to hairstyling — including barbers — under the trade name of hairstylist.

But the change to ministry documents and certificates of qualification didn't happen until earlier this year, and many barbers have operated without licences because they were rarely if ever enforced.

Now, operating without a licence costs employees a $195 fine and employers a $295 fine for first offences.

To get a license, barbers have to learn the new combined curriculum for hairstylists, including perms, colouring and more.

more from great leader

Ontario barbers forced to learn women's styling techniques - Ottawa - CBC News

Excellent, wasting both time and money on something that means very little in the lives of the average Ontarian. Excepting of course those who go out of pocket for a higher amount. Do I give a damn if the neighbourhood barber has been artfully trained in the skill of dying hair? No I don't because I'm not going to him to get my hair dyed.

Hoid
What barber would not want to do woman's hair and make way more money?

DaSleeper
+1
Another necro thread

Jinentonix
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

What kind of govt forces private business to operate according to pure ideological bullshit? To answer your question, if barbers actually wanted to do that, a bunch of leftards wouldn't have had to force them to. And how much do you want to bet that muslim barbers got the usual free-pass that muslims seem to get? Don't bother betting, you WILL lose because that's exactly what happened. A women tested the waters in Toronto and lo'and behold, the leftards decided that his religious excuse for refusing her service was good enough reason.

taxslave
+1

I can think of several good reasons.

Twin_Moose
Next will be a #metoo moment in a barber's shop and all barbershops will be closed down do to the outrage

Hoid
I can't offhand even remember the last time in was in a men's only barbershop.

I don't think they have those anymore.

DaSleeper
Don't you guys realize this is a seven year old thread?

Jinentonix
+1

You don't think, period.

Jinentonix
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Some of us weren't here 7 years ago to discuss it.

Twin_Moose
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Only one poster responded to any remark made 7 years ago so I guess it is a current thread now

Hoid
so whatever became of this moral outrage of making barbers be hairstylists?

DaSleeper
+1
If you're a guy getting "cornrows" you will need a hairdresser
I don't think barbers have much of a demand for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3w4eUet8Zo

AnnaEmber
+1
Ontario is a nanny state. Seems to want to micromanage.

Hoid
Licensing and certifying tradesmen is a basic function of government.

They are doing the bare minimum by doing that.

Blackleaf
I thought barbers were men only.

I never recall seeing any women getting their hair done in any of my local barbers.

taxslave
+1

Got one in Qualicum Beach. Even has two women barbers.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I thought barbers were men only.
I never recall seeing any women getting their hair done in any of my local barbers.

I have seen a couple but neither was feminine.