Brexit trade vow: Australia confirms HUGE trade deal will be SIGNED 'the day Brexit e

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

What makes you think there will be a drastic decline in EU trade? There a number of European countries that are not part of the EU but still trade on the continent.

Not really.You would be speaking German without help from Canada and the US.

It might not drop drastically, but probably more than trade with Australia will increase. So Australia won't compensate for the loss, at least not on its own. As for non-EU states, most are still within the trading block which is a closed-off trading block. This means that they have to impose tariffs on outsiders just as EU states do... or leave the block. Free movement of people comes with that deal.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Nothing , the British companies trading in continental Europe will continue to do so and European companies that trade in Britain will also continue . You guys always miss the point that countries don’t trade with other countries , companies do.

Trading with the EU will be a good deal more difficult now that Britain is not in the EU free trade zone. Any Eu nation will be free to tax British imports and that is exactly the point.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Trading with the EU will be a good deal more difficult now that Britain is not in the EU free trade zone. Any Eu nation will be free to tax British imports and that is exactly the point.

Correction. Since the EU is a trading block, all member-states of the EU bloc (which includes some non-member states of the EU, the trading block extending somewhat beyond its member states as per trade agreements) must tax UK imports as per the EU's tariff rules.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Correction. Since the EU is a trading block, all member-states of the EU bloc (which includes some non-member states of the EU, the trading block extending somewhat beyond its member states as per trade agreements) must tax UK imports as per the EU's tariff rules.

Maybe, this is the EUs big opportunity to become free traders. What are the chances?

White_Unifier
The good news for the UK is that it can still remain a member of the European Free Trade Association, the member states of which (including all states of the EU trading bloc) enjoy a certain degree of free trade with one another. However, that agreement is primitive compared to the EU trading bloc. It might keep tariffs down somewhat. But in the modern world, most tariffs are quite low already and as the economy becomes ever more complex, modern trade agreements try to reduce non-financial barriers to trade like different regulatory barriers and standardization of advertising, packaging and labeling rules, health rules, etc.

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Maybe, this is the EUs big opportunity to become free traders. What are the chances?

That is one problem with the EU. It allows totally free trade within the bloc (which is a good thing) but then tends to restrict trade outside the block too much.

The UK leaving the bloc might give the EU a wake-up call which could be a good thing for it.

In the mean time, the best the UK can do is to follow Singapore's example and become global traders.

Bar Sinister

I think that is exactly what I said.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

I think that is exactly what I said.

You said they may. I said they must.

Bar Sinister

You said they may. I said they must.

You really must learn to stop splitting hairs and learn to read as well. There is no use of the word "may" in the post you quoted.