Los Angeles City Council votes 14-1 to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples D

spaminator
Los Angeles City Council votes 14-1 to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day
POSTMEDIA NETWORK
First posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:56 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, August 31, 2017 01:13 PM EDT
America’s second-largest city has voted to order Christopher Columbus to set sail back to Europe.
As reported by the Los Angeles Times, the U.S. national holiday of Columbus Day will no longer be marked on the Los Angeles city calendar and is to be replaced by Indigenous Peoples Day.
Los Angeles City Council voted 14-1 on Wednesday in favour of ditching the holiday as the nation struggles with how to deal with historical monuments and references that some perceive as insensitive following the fatal incident in Charlottesville surrounding Confederate statutes.
Columbus Day is celebrated on the second Monday in October and will remain a paid holiday under its new name which is set to come into effect by 2019.
Italian Americans and other community members spoke out against the change. “We want to celebrate with you,” Ann Potenza president of Federated Italo-Americans of Southern California told a crowd of Native Americans. “We just don’t want it to be at the expense of Columbus Day.”
But activists refused to accept a celebration of Christopher Columbus as an option. “We are here today to dismantle the state-sponsored celebration of genocide of Indigenous Peoples,” proclaimed Chrissie Castro with the Los Angeles City-County Native American Indian Commission. “To make us celebrate on any other day would be a further injustice.”
Los Angeles’ decision is the highest profile removal of Christopher Columbus by local governance but it is an issue being grappled with by several other jurisdictions.
Last week, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said he wouldn’t rule out how his city would deal with New York’s iconic Columbus Circle which features a massive statue of the explorer following the announcement of a 90-day review of “symbols of hate” in the Big Apple.

http://facebook.com/AICommission/pho...93051980708127
http://facebook.com/CouncilmemberMit...96615990518446
L.A. City Council replaces Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day on city calendar - LA Times
Los Angeles City Council votes 14-1 to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peop

Tecumsehsbones
We get a whole day in one city in the United States?

Wow, feeling real loved here.

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

We get a whole day in one city in the United States?

Wow, feeling real loved here.

You can spend the whole day drinking yourself silly. Enjoy Tec.

Danbones
Free Thinker
The numbers of people sacrificed by the Aztecs is a mystery today and will probably remain a mystery, unless more archeological evidence is uncovered. Whether only a few thousand of victims were sacrificed each year, or 250,000 as some scholars say, few human remains such as bones have been found at Templo Mayor or other Aztec temples. A couple of dozen skeletons and a few thousand loose bones and skulls do not add up to 250,000 or 20,000 or whatever number is cited.
http://www.historyonthenet.com/aztec...an-sacrifices/

Yes indeed, by all means lets have a day in honor of these slaughter meisters!

Oh look!..and they had slavery too!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_slavery

White_Unifier
Outside of government offices, why not just have no official statutory holiday and let everyone take whatever day he wants off?

Why are we so afraid of freedom that we even have to tell people what day to take off work?

Curious Cdn
Conservative
California needs a Deeoowwwd Day.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

California needs a Deeoowwwd Day.

I don't know about California, but Canada should scrap all statutory holidays outside of government offices and let the people decide what days they want off. Why do government need to regulate every aspect of our lives? heck, they even force us to change the friggin clocks twice a year. I mean seriously,
Last edited by White_Unifier; Sep 1st, 2017 at 06:49 PM..

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

You can spend the whole day drinking yourself silly. Enjoy Tec.

You could spend it whimpering in self-pity, but how would that be different from any other day, loser?

I'm going to Ireland in October. Great time to be in Ireland. Germany and Austria in December for some Christmas shopping.

How bout you?

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

I don't know about California, but Canada should scrap all statutory holidays outside of government offices and let the people decide what days they want off. Why do government need to regulate every aspect of our lives. heck, they even force us to change the friggin clocks twice a year. I mean seriously,

They'd better keep Family Day.

Capiche?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

I don't know about California, but Canada should scrap all statutory holidays outside of government offices and let the people decide what days they want off. Why do government need to regulate every aspect of our lives. heck, they even force us to change the friggin clocks twice a year. I mean seriously,

Feel free to change your clock any time you want, but whatever amount of time you want.

Just remember, your free choices have consequences.

Hoof Hearted
I think we should replace Father's Day and Mother's Day and just call it, ' Non-Specific Gender Day'...

That way we wouldn't upset lesbian/ gay couples with children.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post

I think we should replace Father's Day and Mother's Day and just call it, ' Non-Specific Gender Day'...

That way we wouldn't upset lesbian/ gay couples with children.

And Christmas day, of course is Non-Denominational Mid-Winter Observance.

Ho. Ho. Ho.

Bearded CocaCola Logo Guy is going to put you on his ungood list.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

The numbers of people sacrificed by the Aztecs is a mystery today and will probably remain a mystery, unless more archeological evidence is uncovered. Whether only a few thousand of victims were sacrificed each year, or 250,000 as some scholars say, few human remains such as bones have been found at Templo Mayor or other Aztec temples. A couple of dozen skeletons and a few thousand loose bones and skulls do not add up to 250,000 or 20,000 or whatever number is cited.
Aztec Culture: How Many were Killed as Human Sacrifices? - History on the Net

Yes indeed, by all means lets have a day in honor of these slaughter meisters!

Oh look!..and they had slavery too!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_slavery

The absence of bones may be due to the fact that the Aztecs practiced cannibalism. No doubt any left-over bones were fed to dogs or tossed into the lake.