Will the GOP repudiate Trump’s cruelty to a fallen soldier’s family?


mentalfloss
+1
#1
GOP is going to lose the military vote for the first time in decades.

Hilary is cleaning up.


Will the GOP repudiate Trump’s cruelty to a fallen soldier’s family?

Republican politicians face a choice. They can accept Hillary Clinton’s invitation to abandon Donald Trump and prevent a redefinition of their party as a haven for bigotry. Or they can prop Trump up, try to maximize his vote — and thereby tarnish themselves for a generation.

If there were any doubts about Trump’s disqualifying lack of simple decency and empathy, he resolved them on ABC’s “This Week” over the weekend with a characteristically cruel and self-centered attack on Khizr and Ghazala Khan, an American Muslim couple whose son, Army Capt. Humayun Khan, was killed in the line of duty in Iraq.

With his wife by his side, Khizr Khan delivered what was the most devastating attack on Trump during the Democratic National Convention. Khan directly challenged Trump’s strongman ignorance: “Let me ask you, have you even read the United States Constitution? I will gladly lend you my copy.” And he said this of Trump: “You have sacrificed nothing and no one.”

Most politicians — most human beings — would have humbly declared that no sacrifice is comparable to losing a son or daughter in service to the nation. Instead, Trump said he had made many sacrifices because (I’m not making this up) he “created thousands and thousands of jobs.” He said of Khizr Khan’s speech: “Who wrote that? Did Hillary’s script writers write it?”

And then he broke new ground, even for him, in heartlessness. “His wife,” Trump said, “if you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have something to say.”

Every Republican politician and commentator who continues to say that Trump is a superior or even morally equivalent choice to Hillary Clinton will now own their temporary leader’s brutality for the rest of their political careers.

Many humane Republicans know this. Ohio Gov. John Kasich spoke for them when he tweeted that “there’s only one way to talk about Gold Star parents: with honor and respect.”

This is a moment of truth for GOP leaders who passively accepted and sometimes encouraged an extremism that trafficked in religious and racial prejudice and painted President Obama as an illegitimate, power-hungry leader.

The party’s traditional chieftains assumed they could use these themes to rally an angry, aging base of white voters while keeping the forces of right-wing radicalism under control. They did not anticipate Trump. He spent years courting the far right with his charges that Obama was born abroad and set himself up in contrast to an establishment that cynically exploited its feelings.

Now, in Ronald Reagan’s revered phrase, comes a time for choosing. House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell look feeble and vacillating when they try to distance themselves from Trump outrages while maintaining their support for his election. They embody a calculating timidity as they worry about Trump’s impact on their party while also fearing for the electoral chances of their candidates if they push away Trump’s constituency.

Khizr Khan called their bluff in an interview on Friday with MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell: “This is a moral imperative for both leaders, to say to him, ‘Enough.’ ” Had Trump been watching, he would have known that Ghazala Khan also spoke out. Her reticence at the convention, she explained, arose from grief over her lost son that made it difficult even to talk about him. She powerfully made her point again in an essay published online Sunday morning by The Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...3a2_story.html
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
#2
The GOP spin machine is probably in deep conference, right now trying to brain storm their way out:

"She's only a Muslin. Why the fuss?" No, no. Muslims vote too ... for now, anyway.

"Dead soldiers are a bunch of losers like the POWs are." No way. My grand-pappy died at Guadalcanal and he weren't no loser.

"Donald MEANT to say that the poor woman is still silent in grief. Hillary turned the message around, somehow."
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+6
#3  Top Rated Post
... Wonder if Hilary is going to personally apologize to the families of the soldiers and diplomats that she allowed to get butchered and dragged through the streets of Benghazi.

Maybe she can bring along her tax returns as well at the same time
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

GOP is going to lose the military vote for the first time in decades.

Hilary is cleaning up.


Will the GOP repudiate Trump’s cruelty to a fallen soldier’s family?

Republican politicians face a choice. They can accept Hillary Clinton’s invitation to abandon Donald Trump and prevent a redefinition of their party as a haven for bigotry. Or they can prop Trump up, try to maximize his vote — and thereby tarnish themselves for a generation.

If there were any doubts about Trump’s disqualifying lack of simple decency and empathy, he resolved them on ABC’s “This Week” over the weekend with a characteristically cruel and self-centered attack on Khizr and Ghazala Khan, an American Muslim couple whose son, Army Capt. Humayun Khan, was killed in the line of duty in Iraq.

With his wife by his side, Khizr Khan delivered what was the most devastating attack on Trump during the Democratic National Convention. Khan directly challenged Trump’s strongman ignorance: “Let me ask you, have you even read the United States Constitution? I will gladly lend you my copy.” And he said this of Trump: “You have sacrificed nothing and no one.”

Most politicians — most human beings — would have humbly declared that no sacrifice is comparable to losing a son or daughter in service to the nation. Instead, Trump said he had made many sacrifices because (I’m not making this up) he “created thousands and thousands of jobs.” He said of Khizr Khan’s speech: “Who wrote that? Did Hillary’s script writers write it?”

And then he broke new ground, even for him, in heartlessness. “His wife,” Trump said, “if you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have something to say.”

Every Republican politician and commentator who continues to say that Trump is a superior or even morally equivalent choice to Hillary Clinton will now own their temporary leader’s brutality for the rest of their political careers.

Many humane Republicans know this. Ohio Gov. John Kasich spoke for them when he tweeted that “there’s only one way to talk about Gold Star parents: with honor and respect.”

This is a moment of truth for GOP leaders who passively accepted and sometimes encouraged an extremism that trafficked in religious and racial prejudice and painted President Obama as an illegitimate, power-hungry leader.

The party’s traditional chieftains assumed they could use these themes to rally an angry, aging base of white voters while keeping the forces of right-wing radicalism under control. They did not anticipate Trump. He spent years courting the far right with his charges that Obama was born abroad and set himself up in contrast to an establishment that cynically exploited its feelings.

Now, in Ronald Reagan’s revered phrase, comes a time for choosing. House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell look feeble and vacillating when they try to distance themselves from Trump outrages while maintaining their support for his election. They embody a calculating timidity as they worry about Trump’s impact on their party while also fearing for the electoral chances of their candidates if they push away Trump’s constituency.

Khizr Khan called their bluff in an interview on Friday with MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell: “This is a moral imperative for both leaders, to say to him, ‘Enough.’ ” Had Trump been watching, he would have known that Ghazala Khan also spoke out. Her reticence at the convention, she explained, arose from grief over her lost son that made it difficult even to talk about him. She powerfully made her point again in an essay published online Sunday morning by The Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...3a2_story.html

Yer really scrapin the bottom of the barrel. Just wait until January when he will be Prez The DONALD.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
+2
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Yer really scrapin the bottom of the barrel. Just wait until January when he will be Prez The DONALD.

The chances of that happening are about 1 in 3 and falling fast. The guy is a loose cannon who can't seem to close his big, fat gate and one of these "utterances" will be fatal and beyond the pros in the GOP to repair. Actually, the only effective weapon at their disposal at all are internet shills and planted confederates, such as yourselves.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#6
What's the basis for your 1 in 3 stat?
 
Locutus
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

... Wonder if Hilary is going to personally apologize to the families of the soldiers and diplomats that she allowed to get butchered and dragged through the streets of Benghazi.

Maybe she can bring along her tax returns as well at the same time

^ this fukkin' guy
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

What's the basis for your 1 in 3 stat?

There isn't one beyond common sense. Most of you guys who support him are fringe sociopaths on the very edge of your own country's political life, never to find satisfaction. Extrapolate that for whole continent, and you get 1 in 3 as an extremely optimistic guess. It may come down to even longer odds that that unless frog mouth shuts the fukc up and stops making bizarrely stupid Tweets.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

There isn't one beyond common sense. Most of you guys who support him are fringe sociopaths on the very edge of your own country's political life, never to find satisfaction. Extrapolate that for whole continent, and you get 1 in 3 as an extremely optimistic guess. It may come down to even longer odds that that unless frog mouth shuts the fukc up and stops making bizarrely stupid Tweets.

Nice.

Do you and Hilary get a volume discount on your jack boots if you buy from the same outlet?
 
gerryh
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Nice.

Do you and Hilary get a volume discount on your jack boots if you buy from the same outlet?



Jack Boots...ROFLMFAO.... priceless.... and what's even more priceless, is the fact that you won't understand why I'm laughing at you.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#11
Exactly what kind of answer did you expect in response to someone's intuition?

Don't answer that, you won't understand why so many will be laughing at your response
 
gerryh
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Exactly what kind of answer did you expect in response to someone's intuition?

Don't answer that, you won't understand why so many will be laughing at your response


I would expect something less "hypocritical". I know, I know, that's a difficult one to accomplish when supporting Trump.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
#13
hehehe

.. I told you not to answer, but ya done and gone done it anyways
 
davesmom
#14
I hope you all saw the Muslim woman on CNN tonight interviewed by Poppy. Disapproved of Khan's attack on Trump and vowed to vote for Trump. Said also that Trump has strong support in her community.


This Khan story is a sad example of trying to score political points on the death of a war hero. Hillary and the media who keep harping on it should be ashamed of themselves.
1) How many thousands of grieving parents of fallen soldiers could have been interviewed if that were the sole objective? What about the parents of the Benghazi soldiers? What about the soldiers gunned down at Fort Hood by a fellow MUSLIM soldier? I wonder how THEY feel!!
2) Veterans are just like everyone else; some support Trump, some support Clinton. Parading out a few who support her doesn't mean crap!
3) Khan is nuts when he says he wouldn't even be here if Trump had his way. Baloney! It's not Muslims who should be banned, It is Muslims who practice Sharia law. Sharia law contravenes the constitutions of free countries. It is male dominated, women can be beaten, girls can be prevented from attending school, babies can be forced to marry old men. And then there's genital mutilation and 'honor killings'. Sharia law is incompatible with American society and any Muslims who practice it should damned well be kept out.


If Mr. Khan is as patriotic as he claims to be there would be no problem with his immigration.
 
Kreskin
+3
#15
Trump is a buffoon.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
+3
#16
This Khan story is a sad example of trying to score political points on the death of a war hero. Hillary and the media who keep harping on it should be ashamed of themselves.

Are you all there "Mom"?
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1
#17
So wait, the GOP who has been f*cking veterans around for some time now, is suddenly all caring and concerned about the dead ones and their families. Pardon my disbelieving "HA!"

Look, it's simple. Trump doesn't represent the political elite, or more accurately, isn't part of the political elite. This has the GOP scared sh*tless and it's why Bernie got f*cked over by the Dems and the MSM. Clinton is part of the political elite as well. NONE of them want someone with way different ideas coming in and screwing up the good thing they have going for themselves.

To me, for good or bad, it seems the Republican supporters are sick and tired of the same criminals telling the same tired lies and peddling the same tired merchandise year after year.
The Democrat supporters on the other hand seem only to happy to eat it up as fast as it can be dished out.

And judging by Wally's red mark, he likes the status quo as well.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The chances of that happening are about 1 in 3 and falling fast. The guy is a loose cannon who can't seem to close his big, fat gate and one of these "utterances" will be fatal and beyond the pros in the GOP to repair. Actually, the only effective weapon at their disposal at all are internet shills and planted confederates, such as yourselves.

So how would you feel about America if Ted Cruz was the nominee ? Probably about the same , right ? Or perhaps Jeb Bush , how is he ?
 
Locutus
+1
#19
Clinton On Benghazi Mother: She May Not Fully Recall What I Told Them About The Video – Need To Know Network

Media hypocrisy about grieving parents on full display - The American MirrorThe American Mirror



What The Media Is Not Telling You About The Muslim Who Attacked Donald Trump: He Is A Muslim Brotherhood Agent Who Wants To Advance Sharia Law And Bring Muslims Into The United States | Walid Shoebat
 
Kreskin
+2
#20
 
mentalfloss
+1
#21
He's more Mussolini but close enough.
 
spaminator
+2
#22
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#23
trump wins
hitlary wins
there will be no election...obama wins...

one in three
 
Colpy
Conservative
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

This Khan story is a sad example of trying to score political points on the death of a war hero. Hillary and the media who keep harping on it should be ashamed of themselves.

Are you all there "Mom"?

He supports Donald Trump.

You have to ask?
 
mentalfloss
#25
Hillary Clinton defends Ghazala and Khizr Khan from Donald Trump's 'offensive' remarks: 'I don't know where the bottom is.'
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Hillary Clinton defends Ghazala and Khizr Khan from Donald Trump's 'offensive' remarks: 'I don't know where the bottom is.'

She doesn't know where the bottom is She's a goddam bottom feeder herself.

Khizr Khan is a fine American and the father of a true American patriot. But now he is also everything that is wrong with American politics today.

It is not entirely his fault, though he has only himself to blame for allowing his dead son to be used for the most hideous of purposes and dragged through the gutter of nasty and dishonest partisan politics.


Khan and his wife took to the stage at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia last week to deliver an impassioned rebuke of Donald J.Trump that was universally celebrated by the media. Even Republican politicos swooned at the gambit. The Clinton campaign trotted out the Muslim couple because their son, Captain Humayun Khan, was killed by a car bomb in 2004 while guarding a base in Iraq.
“If it was up to Donald Trump, he never would have been in America,” said Khan, sliding easily into the political tradition of lying and distorting the position of one’s opponent.

“Donald Trump consistently smears the character of Muslims,” he went on. “He disrespects other minorities, women, judges, even his own party leadership. He vows to build walls and ban us from this country.”

Despite all efforts by the media to distort Trump’s position about “banning” Muslims, he has made perfectly clear time and again that he does not want to ban all Muslims. He wants to simply perform thorough and complete background checks on all immigrants coming from countries presently in the grips of violent Islamic terrorism.

Yes, that means if you are a Muslim who wants to immigrate from Syria or Afghanistan, you are going to get a lot more scrutiny than if you are a Jew trying to immigrate from Canada. That is most unfortunate, but not nearly as unfortunate as innocents getting slaughtered by 10th Century savages killing in the name of Allah.

Anyway, this higher scrutiny should be no obstacle for the likes of Khizr Khan and his family, except for the additional hassle.

So, why would Khizr Khan choose to insert himself into politics and demean his son’s sacrifice by lying at a political convention on national television?

The answer is simple: He allowed himself to be tricked into it. And the Clinton campaign was all too eager to take advantage of him and his family and Capt. Khan and use them for their own political partisan purposes.

Stop for a moment and ask yourself how exactly the Clinton campaign arrived at the decision to trot out the Khan family in the middle of their highly-choreographed, exhaustively produced convention?

Were they just looking to give voice to the parents of a soldier? That would be a first. Did they want parents of anyone who had died abroad in the defense of their country? Gee, why not pick the parents of one of the fallen warriors who died defending the U.S. consulate in Benghazi? Oh, that’s right. They would have called Hillary Clinton a liar. Can’t have that.

No. Politicians like Hillary Clinton do not see people like Capt. Humayun Khan as a soldier who made the ultimate sacrifice on a foreign battlefield in defense of his country.

Politicians like Hillary Clinton see him only a demographic, a dispensable political pawn to be scooted around an electoral map, the way generals used to move armies across giant maps of the lands they were invading.

But instead of liberating Europe from evil fascists, politicians like Hillary Clinton use their long, worn croupier rakes to move their pawns about with the singular goal of advancing their own personal political careers.

To her, Capt. Khan is not a just soldier who died defending his country in a foreign land. First and foremost, to her, he is a Muslim of Pakistani heritage and therefor is a perfect political pawn for just the right situation.

For just about every American alive, Capt. Khan is an inspiring and unifying figure. To Hillary Clinton, he is a tool to be used to divide people. In her false promise of unifying America, she creates a national political Babylon. Her avaricious greed for more and more power knows no bounds.

It is an open secret in Washington that politics is the last bastion of rampant racial profiling. Both parties do it, but Democrats have taken it to a whole new scientific level.

Politicians like Hillary Clinton slice and dice people into racial and gender groups. Then they toot on all their little “dog whistles” to send all their little demographic pawns scurrying in various directions. That is how you wind up with Khizr Khan standing on stage beside his head-scarved wife, waving around the U.S. Constitution and distorting Donald Trump’s position on keeping radical Islamic terrorism at bay.

Perhaps a better testimony from Khizr Khan would have been for him to talk about how Hillary Clinton was in the U.S. Senate when she voted to invade Iraq. Years later, after that position became politically unpopular, she changed her mind and joined new political forces to vacate all the land across Iraq that so many great American patriots like Capt. Humayun Khan had died for.

It was her vote that sent Capt. Khan to his death. And then it was her decisions later to render that sacrifice worthless.

Try sticking that into your dog whistle and blowing it.
 
Locutus
+1
#27
Mike Cernovich ‏@Cernovich

.@maddow lol this is why no one but your echo chamber takes the media seriously. #Khan

 
EagleSmack
+1
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Clinton On Benghazi Mother: She May Not Fully Recall What I Told Them About The Video – Need To Know Network

Media hypocrisy about grieving parents on full display - The American MirrorThe American Mirror



What The Media Is Not Telling You About The Muslim Who Attacked Donald Trump: He Is A Muslim Brotherhood Agent Who Wants To Advance Sharia Law And Bring Muslims Into The United States | Walid Shoebat

Bump!
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

... Wonder if Hilary is going to personally apologize to the families of the soldiers and diplomats that she allowed to get butchered and dragged through the streets of Benghazi.

Maybe she can bring along her tax returns as well at the same time

I can cetainly understand how making it about Hillary can help
 
Locutus
#30
everyone needs to relax. all the vetted facts will come out.

in the interim:





 

Similar Threads

4
To the fallen Soldier men and women.
by Socrates the Greek | Apr 24th, 2006