UK offered Brexit free trade deal with Australia

Blackleaf
Australia has called for a free trade deal with Britain following its exit from the European Union.

Theresa May described the move as "very encouraging" and insisted it showed Brexit could work for Britain.

In a phone call to the new PM, her Australian counterpart Malcolm Turnbull said he urgently wanted to open up trading between the two countries.

Liam Fox, the first man responsible for independent British trade deals for over 43 years, said he was already "scoping about a dozen free trade deals".

UK offered Brexit free trade deal with Australia

BBC News
17 July 2016

International Trade Secretary Liam Fox said the UK had already been approached about a number of possible trade deals

Australia has called for a free trade deal with Britain following its exit from the European Union.

Theresa May described the move as "very encouraging" and insisted it showed Brexit could work for Britain.

In a phone call to the new PM, her Australian counterpart Malcolm Turnbull said he urgently wanted to open up trading between the two countries.

Liam Fox, the new International Trade Secretary, said he was already "scoping about a dozen free trade deals".

But the UK cannot sign any deals while it is still an EU member - and experts warned trade deals take a long time to negotiate.

Mrs May said: "I have been very clear that this government will make a success of our exit from the European Union.

"One of the ways we will do this is by embracing the opportunities to strike free trade deals with our partners across the globe. It is very encouraging that one of our closest international partners is already seeking to establish just such a deal."

"This shows that we can make Brexit work for Britain," she added.

Mrs May said Britain was "an outward-looking and globally-minded country"

Economist Howard Archer told the BBC News Website that post-Brexit the UK would be looking to trade with other parts of the world outside of the EU.

"That is something that the Leave campaign was pushing for, so that we would be open to other deals with other countries and regions," he said.

He said trade deals "take a very long time" to be drawn up, and that while there might be a desire for the UK to seek out as many agreements as possible, there should be a focus on the most important trading partners.

Equally important, the UK should also look for major deals that can be quickly concluded and not drag on for years, said Mr Archer, chief UK and Europe economist at IHS Global Insight.

China trade should be a post-Brexit priority says one economist

"There has been a focus recently on how few trade negotiators we actually have got in the UK at the moment," he added.

"So a trade negotiator working on a deal with Australia would not then be available to work on a trade deal with China. It means decisions have be taken about which deals to really focus on, such as China."

Mr Archer said that although the UK cannot sign trade deals while it is an EU member, there will be numerous informal discussions taking place leading up to the Brexit date, which could be in late 2018 or early 2019.

According to Australian government trade figures, in 2014 Australia exported A$8.3bn (£4.5bn) to the UK in 2014 and imported A$12.4bn (£6.5bn).

But that is a fraction of the A$100bn (£55bn) exported that year by Australia to China, and the A$54bn it imported from the Asian giant.

And according to the latest data from the UK's HM Revenue and Customs for May 2016, Australia was 21st on the list of Britain's export markets, and 20th on the list of import providers.

Mr Fox, a prominent Brexit campaigner, said numerous non-EU countries had already asked Britain for a trade deal and he was "scoping about a dozen... to be ready for when we leave".

It comes amid reports he is preparing to fly to the United States next week for talks.

In April, President Barack Obama warned the UK it would go to the "back of the queue" for trade deals with the US if it voted to leave the EU.

Following the referendum, he said the UK's decision to leave raised "longer-term concerns about global growth".

Mr Fox told the Sunday Times: "We've already had a number of countries saying, 'We'd love to do a trade deal with the world's fifth biggest economy without having to deal with the other 27 members of the EU.'"

Analysis

BBC correspondent Phil Mercer, in Sydney

Britain is Australia's seventh largest trading partner, and is second only to the United States when it comes to direct foreign investment down under.

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said a free trade agreement with the UK was a priority, although such treaties are complicated and can be time-consuming.

Australia's recent trade deal with China, for example, took a decade to negotiate.

Mr Turnbull has said Canberra could also team up with New Zealand to strike new commercial and immigration accords with the UK following its decision to leave the EU.

UK offered Brexit free trade deal with Australia - BBC News
Last edited by Blackleaf; Jul 17th, 2016 at 07:13 AM..

Cliffy
Free Thinker

Tecumsehsbones
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
You forgot "It wasn't the EU that lost you the U.S., Canada, Australia, Ireland, India, Palestine, British Honduras, South Africa, New Zealand, and possibly Scotland."

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

I know. It's brilliant being in the EU and having most of your laws created by unelected foreigners in a foreign country; having your nation's top court and constitution being overruled by the EU's court in a foreign country; have to accept free movement of people from the other 27 Member States. The British are a mad bunch to vote against leaving such a thing.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I know. It's brilliant being in the EU and having most of your laws created by unelected foreigners in a foreign country; having your nation's top court and constitution being overruled by the EU's court in a foreign country; have to accept free movement of people from the other 27 Member States. The British are a mad bunch to vote against leaving such a thing.

Now you know how Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland feel.

Blackleaf
The Americans and Canadians are dying out to have most of their laws created by unelected officials in Honduras; to have their constitution overruled by unelected Mexicans, Hondurans and Guatemalans in Mexico City; and to accept free movement of people into their countries from most of North America. They are desperate for such things for themselves and that's why they want the British people to keep such rules.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Now you know how Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland feel.

Well the Scots and Northern Irish don't seem to mind being ruled by unelected foreigners and to be Germany's bitches. Most of them voted to remain in the EU. They seem to be suffering from some sort of collective Stockholm Syndrome. The Scots want to see their once-great nation reduced to being the German Chancellor's meek plaything.

Tecumsehsbones

The Americans and Canadians are dying out to have most of their laws created by unelected officials in Honduras; to have their constitution overruled by unelected Mexicans, Hondurans and Guatemalans in Mexico City; and to accept free movement of people into their countries from most of North America. They are desperate for such things for themselves and that's why they want the British people to keep such rules.

You want the sarcasm-free, unvarnished truth?

We want Bremain because it's good for us. End of.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why you think we should do anything but what is best for us. You think Brexit is best for you, so you're doing it. Fine. I support you in that.

But why is it right and proper that Britain do what it thinks is in its own best interests, and wrong and false for the U.S. to do what it thinks is in its best interests?

Blackleaf

We want Bremain because it's good for us. End of.

I know you do. Shame for you that the British people voted otherwise, isn't it?

Quote:

But why is it right and proper that Britain do what it thinks is in its own best interests, and wrong and false for the U.S. to do what it thinks is in its best interests?

As I said yesterday, most Yanks wouldn't like it if Theresa May turned up in Washington and appeared on national television pleading with them vote a certain way in an election because doing so would be in Britain's interests.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

I know you do. Shame for you that the British people voted otherwise, isn't it?

As I said yesterday, most Yanks wouldn't like it if Theresa May turned up in Washington and appeared on national television pleading with them vote a certain way in an election because doing so would be in Britain's interests.

And as I keep telling you, and you refuse to believe, the vast majority of Yanks wouldn't give a damn. Heck, most of 'em would never even know it happened.

Blackleaf

And as I keep telling you, and you refuse to believe, the vast majority of Yanks wouldn't give a damn. Heck, most of 'em would never even know it happened.

They would give a damn. They wouldn't like being told what to do by a foreign leader.

Tecumsehsbones

They would give a damn. They wouldn't like being told what to do by a foreign leader.

I'm sure in your world that's true.

Blackleaf

I'm sure in your world that's true.

It IS true.

Tecumsehsbones

It IS true.

Yes, lad. Run and tell Mummy.

Blackleaf

Yes, lad. Run and tell Mummy.

taxslave
Free Thinker

See all the really good stuff was done without EU interference.

Blackleaf

Blackleaf

FULL COMMENT

Colby Cosh: Britain voted for Brexit because it wants to be Canada — and we hate the idea

Colby Cosh | June 24, 2016 5:23 PM ET
More from Colby Cosh | @colbycosh

In the wake of Thursday’s surprising Brexit vote and the subsequent, near-immediate collapse of British Prime Minister David Cameron, a curious phenomenon has become apparent: Canadian pundits mostly think the referendum was a disaster. There is very little sympathy here — among an intelligentsia that is heavily Anglo — being expressed for Euroskepticism and the various motivations behind the Leave campaign’s victory.

I might have voted Remain myself if my great-grandparents’ generation hadn’t lit out for the great plains, but isn’t there something obviously unusual about our view of the transatlantic frenzy? Canada is a political entity defined by its perpetual rejection of a continental political union. No one here, at all, ever expresses any doubt about the wisdom of that rejection. It costs us all hard cash, every day, to not be the 51st state. Yet we keep the Americans at bay, preserving the freedom to make arrangements on trade and defence on a basis (or pretence?) of mutual, separate sovereignty. We do this even though we share a common tongue with Americans, and they are much more similar to us culturally and ideologically than an Englishman is to an Estonian.

Look at the list of imprecations being hurled at Leave voters Friday, many of them by Canadians. They’re “small-minded,” “isolationist,” “short-sighted,” “fact-blind,” “racist” countryside boobs without vision or understanding. Couldn’t all these epithets be turned on us like a gun-barrel? Who speaks for, even contemplates, the discarded project of American Union — which was once a lively concern, actively advocated by some of the first people to call themselves Canadian in the modern sense?

If the sheer craziness of Canada’s Remain sympathies weren’t obvious enough, the intellectual leaders of the Leave camp are constantly upholding Canada as a model for immigration policy, with its self-interested, skill-privileging, but globally indiscriminate points system. They also cite us as an obvious potential partner for the kind of bilateral trade deal Britain will now be free to pursue on its own. Basically, the Leave campaigners didn’t put it this way or incorporate it into a slogan, but they want the U.K.’s relationship with Europe — a polyglot kaleidoscope of radically dissimilar nation states, some of them failing — to be the same friendly, wary relationship Canada has with the United States.

What in Hades could possibly be wrong with that, as a basic proposition? I see why the serious ills of the European Union have been temporarily forgotten, in the rush for the Brexit, by Remainers who pretended to acknowledge them, when they were still confident of victory. The U.K. passport is less valuable today, to people with academic credentials or highly portable labour skills, than it was 48 hours ago. Those are the people who make the newspapers and TV news programs and who, to the near-total exclusion of anyone else, get quoted in them.

It is natural for that class to be exasperated, and even natural for it to exaggerate the long-term effects — to paint a ludicrous apocalyptic vision of the U.K. losing the technical and moral leadership it enjoyed before there was an EU, and that Norway and Switzerland seem to have little trouble maintaining on the outside.

I just do not see why Canada, in particular, ought to swallow it. If we regard the EU so highly in this country, we might start imitating it, not by progressing toward continental union, but by applying its principles within our own national borders. Before Thursday night, the British probably had slightly stronger economic privileges in Germany or France than British Columbians do in Ontario. And this is the part of the Brexit that may actually hurt most in the medium term — the setback for a neo-liberal dream of zero transaction costs and harmonious regulatory standards.

On the whole, we willingly accept heavy tacit costs, every day, for living in an independent Canada. Many polite liberal intellectuals of the type now keening with fear for the Old Country, did not even want us to have a free-trade agreement with the United States, which mitigates those costs dramatically, and do not want us to conclude similar deals with any other country.

Even as a double standard, this is freakish. Canada, a colonial relic with one wealthy neighbour whose creation involved the elbowing aside of millions of aboriginal occupants, is a precious gem whose sovereignty can tolerate no dilution or tarnish. Britain, an aboriginal home still substantially in the hands of its aborigines, is insulting the heavens and calling eternal shame upon itself by asking for the status we enjoy unchallenged. If there are bigger hypocrites than us anywhere on the planet, I am not sure where to start looking for them.

Colby Cosh: Britain voted for Brexit because it wants to be Canada — and we hate the idea | National Post

EagleSmack
Populism!

BREXIT!

Kreskin

Tecumsehsbones

Britain voted for Brexit because it wants to be Canada

Of course. Who wouldn't want to be Canada?

EagleSmack

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

I love that sketch.

And the Dead Parrot sketch, too, which is partially set in Bolton.