Free trade vs. Fair trade

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Resources.

How can any determination of sustainability really be made if we don't fully understand the supply and can't predict the demand?

Machjo

Right, but this doesn't deny that even with trade barriers in place, unregulated free trade could still be harmful to sustainable development.

You cannot have totally free trade with trade barriers by definition, since trade barriers limit free trade by definition.

petros
Do you think that going head to head with this chunk of forest and it's close location to high demand markets had anything to do it?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

How can any determination of sustainability really be made if we don't fully understand the supply and can't predict the demand?

Those are some of the key questions that are acknowledged in economic feasibility studies.

Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

You cannot have totally free trade with trade barriers by definition, since trade barriers limit free trade by definition.

Sorry, I misread your earlier post about trade barriers and free trade.

The point still stands that free trade does not magically allow for sustainable development.

captain morgan

Those are some of the key questions that are acknowledged in economic feasibility studies.

Fair enough, but if that is a critical factor in the fair trade equation, I can't see there being any progress in the efforts.

Let's not forget the big picture here; you are still trying to compare 2 (or multiple) economies, cultures, etc and attempting to make them 'equal' in terms of fairness... The goal in this case is a pipe dream at best

petros
If I don't have one of these...

How do I get my products to one of these?

Machjo
+1

Sorry, I misread your earlier post about trade barriers and free trade.

The point still stands that free trade does not magically allow for sustainable development.

No it doesn't, but they are two separate issues. You could have fair trade but unsustainable develoment just as you could have unfair trade but still sustainable development. In some respects they are two separate debates.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Do you think that going head to head with this chunk of forest and it's close location to high demand markets had anything to do it?

No. Over cutting here has just as much to do with it. You might find that the same corporate giants that raped BC are over in Siberia now raping it.

The picture is just a short section of the highway between Nakusp and Vernon.

mentalfloss

Fair enough, but if that is a critical factor in the fair trade equation, I can't see there being any progress in the efforts.

Of course it is. Sustainability is increasingly relevant every year. It's a major economic concept.

Let's not forget the big picture here; you are still trying to compare 2 (or multiple) economies, cultures, etc and attempting to make them 'equal' in terms of fairness... The goal in this case is a pipe dream at best

What is fair and just is a concept that is always changing. As we evolve, we make incremental adjustments to policy which we feel would be attributed to helping these causes. The "goal" as you put it, will always change as we continue to discuss social, environmental and economic policy - and how these three perspectives work with each other.

Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

No it doesn't, but they are two separate issues. You could have fair trade but unsustainable develoment just as you could have unfair trade but still sustainable development. In some respects they are two separate debates.

Of course.

B00Mer
RIP Jack Layton.. but his interview say it all.. working man comes first.

[youtube]N_MR7tL7tWs[/youtube]

petros
Thank you NAFTA!

SASKATCHEWAN MANUFACTURING INCREASE QUADRUPLES NATIONAL AVERAGE
Saskatchewan's manufacturing sales increased by a dramatic 16 per cent over the past year, according to Statistics Canada. Canada's national average increase was 4 per cent.

"When people in Saskatchewan go to work, they are building everything from farm machinery to cutting-edge software and those products are being sold in markets across Canada and around the world," Enterprise Minister Jeremy Harrison said. "This province is blessed with tremendous natural resources and we are working hard to build on that foundation by driving success in manufacturing."

Between April 2011 and May 2011, manufacturing sales were up by 8.6 per cent, the highest percentage increase among the provinces (seasonally adjusted). This is well above the 0.8 per cent decline experienced on a national basis. On an annual basis, sales were up 16 per cent, the second highest improvement in the nation while nationally, sales were up only 4 per cent. Sales increases were attributed to a rise in sales in the chemical industry.

mentalfloss

Thank you NAFTA!

SASKATCHEWAN MANUFACTURING INCREASE QUADRUPLES NATIONAL AVERAGE
Saskatchewan's manufacturing sales increased by a dramatic 16 per cent over the past year, according to Statistics Canada. Canada's national average increase was 4 per cent.

"When people in Saskatchewan go to work, they are building everything from farm machinery to cutting-edge software and those products are being sold in markets across Canada and around the world," Enterprise Minister Jeremy Harrison said. "This province is blessed with tremendous natural resources and we are working hard to build on that foundation by driving success in manufacturing."

Between April 2011 and May 2011, manufacturing sales were up by 8.6 per cent, the highest percentage increase among the provinces (seasonally adjusted). This is well above the 0.8 per cent decline experienced on a national basis. On an annual basis, sales were up 16 per cent, the second highest improvement in the nation while nationally, sales were up only 4 per cent. Sales increases were attributed to a rise in sales in the chemical industry.

With one hand you praise free trade and globalization and with the other you criticize Harper for removing our economic sovereignty.

How does it feel to be Janus?

petros
Where did you get the idea that it is foreign companies in SK that are enjoying the benefits?

Machjo

Where did you get the idea that it is foreign companies in SK that are enjoying the benefits?

Who cares if they're foreign or demostic, as long as they abide by the same rules.

petros
The problem that held back SK manufacturing is the same problem the under-developed world is facing in getting their products to market and a good dollar. Infrastructure.

mentalfloss

CTV News | China signs up to develop Saskatchewan energy assets

petros
Energy isn't our economic leader.

PS. You can thank Strong for going to bat for us and China for funding the infrastructure.

mentalfloss

Energy isn't our economic leader.

I never said it was.

petros
+1 / -1
Why the link? Couldn't find one about the manufactured goods they intend to buy now that these goods have an efficient way to market?

mentalfloss

Why the link? Couldn't find one about the manufactured goods they intend to buy now that these goods have an efficient way to market?

Are you assuming that I believe free trade is always bad?

Oh wait.. yes, you are.

petros
Why do always assume everything is about oil?

mentalfloss

Why do always assume everything is about oil?

Oh, you were expecting me to mention oil so that you could go on about minerals?

An unfortunate snag for you, that I didn't get caught in that trap, isn't it?

petros
Oh no no no. I was going to go on about manufacturing but if you want I go into the vast untapped mineral wealth too.

mentalfloss

Oh no no no. I was going to go on about manufacturing but if you want I go into the vast untapped mineral wealth too.

Oh, you can tap it. Just tap it responsibly.

petros

Oh, you can tap it. Just tap it responsibly.

Don't worry the regulations are very high, sometimes overkill.

mentalfloss

Don't worry the regulations are very high, sometimes overkill.

I'm sure in some ways they are and in some ways they aren't.

But we won't get anywhere if you continue to paint anyone who disagrees with you as a Bolshevik.

petros
They are tough as nail on all fronts.

How about Menshevik?

dumpthemonarchy
The energy needs of Asia make NAFTA obsolete because it is insensible to guarantee the world equal access to our resources. It was only intended for the USA not China. Rip it up,sorry, renegotiate it.

petros
Mexico is just chopped liver? So do we pull all of the hundreds of companies that set up shop in Mexico?

mentalfloss

Mexico is just chopped liver? So do we pull all of the hundreds of companies that set up shop in Mexico?

Just send them some pot.