British Government to create Office for Veterans' Affairs


Curious Cdn
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

WWII wasn't an existential war for Canada like it was for Britain.
Canada could afford to create such an office in 1944. Britain couldn't. She was preoccupied, unlike Canada, fighting a life or death struggle.
We had more important things to worry about.

Canada's military was (is) voluntary and part of the deal with that voluntary army was the assurance that they would be supported if disabled or otherwise needy.

The British Army was all conscript cannon fodder and the British government couldn't have given a flying feck if they lived or died after their usefulness as soldiers was over. Demobbed British servicemen were lower than dirt in 1946 damned close to nothing was done for them.

Here in Canada, We had the CMHC which built affordable rental and mortgage purchase housing all across the country for demobbed vets. VA covered my father's University tuition and board. It did it for hundreds of thousands who could take their money in the form of tuitions or as cash payouts that were applied to starting businesses, etc.

Canada was a Victor. Giving support to our returning veterans payed back in spades and made Canada a rich country. We passed Britain by in personal wealth and the British never caught up, agsin.

Britain won the war but lost the peace ...and soon afterward, the rest of her old Empire. The parsimonious penny-pinching UK wasn't going to pay tuppence to any of those class inferior former soldiers nor give them a leg up. The British class system did not allow it. Britain was so broke they had rationing right up until 1954. The North American economy was on fire in 1954 and when your Gran was still using a tickey to buy a bit if sugar, Canadian veterans were buying humungus automobiles with bloody great wings on them. The UK was poor, backward, heading to Third World status and receiving foreign aid mostly because of that class system that would not allow the "lower classes" out of subsistence. Pure Orwellian control freak bullshit ...

The Germans outperformed you, even after being bombed flat and losing 6-1/2 million of their best and brightest.
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Jul 30th, 2019 at 06:12 PM..
 
Tecumsehsbones
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

My grandparents remember the Luftwaffe flying over their homes. My paternal grandmother remembers a big crater where the house of her friend and friend's family used to be. All were obliterated by a V2. Did you lot have to cope with V2s and Doodlebugs?

Nope, just Brits whimpering about a war whose seeds they sowed at Versailles.
 
Blackleaf
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The British Army was all conscript cannon fodder

Unlike Canada, Britain was under threat of invasion and needed all the men it could get.

Most Canadians wanted conscription, but they were ignored.


Quote:

Demobbed British servicemen were lower than dirt in 1946 damned close to nothing was done for them.

Do you realise the parlous state the British economy was in after the war and the hardship and privations the people were suffering?

Obviously not.
Quote:

Here in Canada, We had the CMHC which built affordable rental and mortgage purchase housing all across the country for demobbed vets. VA covered my father's University tuition and board. It did it for hundreds of thousands who could take their money in the form of tuitions or as cash payouts that were applied to starting businesses, etc.

How many times do I have to tell you that you had it far easier than we did?
Quote:

We passed Britain by in personal wealth and the British never caught up, agsin.

There's hardly any difference between the two countries.

In my opinion, Britain is the best country in the world to live.
Quote:

The North American economy was on fire in 1954

Having not faced the same privations as the British economy.

Quote:

The UK was poor, backward, heading to Third World status and receiving foreign aid mostly because of that class system

I think WWII played a big part in that.

Having said that, Britain was second only to Norway for GDP per capita in Europe in 1938.

. The Germans outperformed you, [/QUOTE]

They outperformed Canada, too, and you had even less bombing and damage and taken far less of a hit than Britain had.
 
Blackleaf
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Nope, just Brits whimpering about a war whose seeds they sowed at Versailles.

The Germans had a far worse fate than Versailles planned for Britain and France had the Germans won the Great War.

The Germans were let off lightly compared to what they were going to do with us.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

The Germans had a far worse fate than Versailles planned for Britain and France had the Germans won the Great War.
The Germans were let off lightly compared to what they were going to do with us.

What, invade and occupy?

So what? They did that several times.
 
Curious Cdn
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

The Germans had a far worse fate than Versailles planned for Britain and France had the Germans won the Great War.
The Germans were let off lightly compared to what they were going to do with us.

wrong war.

You were ultimtely the loser of the second one when the Germans and Japanese left the Brits in their rearview mirrors in the 1960s.
 
Danbones
#37
Winston was a founding father of the nazicommieglobalist EU...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundi...European_Union

AS far as subjugating the UK, it looks like he did what Hitler failed to do.
 
Blackleaf
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

What, invade and occupy?

So what? They did that several times.

You could argue that Versailles was not harsh enough.

Also, the reparations that the Germans paid were very near the same amount that they themselves had suggested.

Also, the British and French had to pay money to the Yanks that was almost equal to the reparations that Germany had to pay - and they didn't end up like Germany, with fascists coming to power.
 
Blackleaf
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

wrong war.
You were ultimtely the loser of the second one when the Germans and Japanese left the Brits in their rearview mirrors in the 1960s.

They left Canada in their rearview mirror, too, and you suffered a lot less than Britain did economically during the war.

So Canada also ultimately lost the war.
 
Blackleaf
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Winston was a founding father of the nazicommieglobalist EU...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundi...European_Union
AS far as subjugating the UK, it looks like he did what Hitler failed to do.

Churchill was against Britain joining a European union.
 
Curious Cdn
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

They left Canada in their rearview mirror, too, and you suffered a lot less than Britain did economically during the war.
So Canada also ultimately lost the war.

you have no clue ....

The Canadian population has increased more than 300% since WWII and we now have the tenth largest economy in the world. Before WWII, Canada was a poor agricultural country, mired in deep depression.

Britain's population has increased by 25% in the same period, with no improvement of economic ranking.

You are a spent power.
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Jul 30th, 2019 at 07:18 PM..
 
Blackleaf
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

you have no clue ....

Are you saying that Japan and Germany didn't outperform Canada after WWII?

I was never taught about the post-war Canadian economic miracle at school in which you outperformed Germany and Japan.

Tell me about it.
 
Curious Cdn
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Are you saying that Japan and Germany didn't outperform Canada after WWII?
I was never taught about the post-war Canadian economic miracle at school in which you outperformed Germany and Japan.
Tell me about it.

What are the populations of Japan and Germany, dimbo?

Are they still growing? Japan is certainly not.