residential sprinklers

Hoid
+2
#1  Top Rated Post
Rise in fast-burning house fires heats up calls for sprinklers in homes - Nova Scotia - CBC News

interesting article on new homes burning faster than old homes. Mostly due to the furnishings etc. They are talking about changing building codes to include fixed fire extinguishing systems - but they are talking water, which is wrong. Halon was the wonder product of the age until they banned it for being an ozone eater. It could fill a room in an instant and suppress any fire. It also did no damage to room contents. It was perfect for server farms and computer rooms. Also for residential since it would not damage all your precious stuff and ruin your home, as water will. I guess they are back to using CO2 but you would think they could synthesize a halon gas such that it would not damage the ozone. We are talking about a lot of money here - 2% of the price of a new home and 5% to retrofit an older home.

Cannuck
+1
Water is way cheaper and a better option for residential. It causes damage but the odds of it going off are minimal. As long as it can save a life that is all that is important.

Danbones
Keep smoking in bed

we'ed love to see the test results

Cannuck
Smokers are morons

Curious Cdn
Sprinklers beat the hell out of dead firemen. Make them mandatory.

Cannuck
I think it's around $0.5 to $0.75 per square foot for new construction. Cheap life insurance.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Rise in fast-burning house fires heats up calls for sprinklers in homes - Nova Scotia - CBC News

interesting article on new homes burning faster than old homes. Mostly due to the furnishings etc. They are talking about changing building codes to include fixed fire extinguishing systems - but they are talking water, which is wrong. Halon was the wonder product of the age until they banned it for being an ozone eater. It could fill a room in an instant and suppress any fire. It also did no damage to room contents. It was perfect for server farms and computer rooms. Also for residential since it would not damage all your precious stuff and ruin your home, as water will. I guess they are back to using CO2 but you would think they could synthesize a halon gas such that it would not damage the ozone. We are talking about a lot of money here - 2% of the price of a new home and 5% to retrofit an older home.

No, water is the best. Halon is death waiting to happen. That is why it was removed from equipment. Halon deletes O2 from the room. The only advantage to that from a firefighter perspective is the bodies are not BBQed.

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Sprinklers beat the hell out of dead firemen. Make them mandatory.

Maybe for new construction and Definitely multi family.Maybe even on major renos but the cost of retrofitting existing houses would be prohibitive.
Proper construction methods would go a long way as well. No more synthetics and fake wood. Ban gang nails, go back to plywood gussets in trusses and real beams in floors. Trusjoists have a fire rating of about 5 minutes while 2x12 is around 20 minutes.

Cannuck
Well there goes Taxslave being an idiot again

Hoid
halon bonds with O2 turning it into O3. Fire cannot exist without O2. It presents only a small risk to humans as it is not persistent enough cause suffocation.

same life hazard class as co2

Also water systems rely on complete infrastructure right to your door, while pressurized chem systems are completely autonomous.

Danbones
Build a man a fire, you keep him warm for the night

set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for life!

taxslave

halon bonds with O2 turning it into O3. Fire cannot exist without O2. It presents only a small risk to humans as it is not persistent enough cause suffocation.

same life hazard class as co2

Also water systems rely on complete infrastructure right to your door, while pressurized chem systems are completely autonomous.

Chem systems guarantee no survivors.Water systems can be made with a pressurized resivoir in the basement.

When I go into a burning building I am suited up and have SCBA so it really doesn't matter to me what fire suppression system a building has but the occupants would like to remain alive or there is no real point in rushing to put the fire out. ANything chemical kills people.

Hoid
if the chem is inert/non toxic whats the problem.

perhaps a water based foaming system, but like all water systems it destroys the place.

taxslave

if the chem is inert/non toxic whats the problem.

perhaps a water based foaming system, but like all water systems it destroys the place.

CHem systems are expensive to build and maintain. I haven't seen a inert gas system that doesn't kill people since they all work by displacing O2.
Most of the time after a residential fire the place is destroyed anyway unless it is just room/contents.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

CHem systems are expensive to build and maintain. I haven't seen a inert gas system that doesn't kill people since they all work by displacing O2.
Most of the time after a residential fire the place is destroyed anyway unless it is just room/contents.

I remember those racks of CO2 bottles in the engine rooms of ships that I served on in our Navy and the obvious message that went with them that the Engineering watch was disposable at all times. Explosion ... fire ... hull breach ... You were dead men in seconds.

Cannuck

Hmmmmm....ya...I never thought about that. I guess water systems are pretty useless in Saskatistan where they lack indoor plumbing

When I go into a burning building

You don't go into burning buildings

like all water systems it destroys the place.

I get a kick out of people that think everything in the movies is real.

DaSleeper

Is there a brand of battery powered smoke detector that comes with an off switch? We have gas range and we use a camping toaster for our morning toast.
There is nothing like that slightly burnt taste the open fire gives it..
But one of us has to keep fanning the smoke detector so it doesn't go off......

Hoid

every computer room on earth was and still is protected by chem

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Is there a brand of battery powered smoke detector that comes with an off switch? We have gas range and we use a camping toaster for our morning toast.
There is nothing like that slightly burnt taste the open fire gives it..
But one of us has to keep fanning the smoke detector so it doesn't go off......

my house is the same. i have to turn it off even to cook, steam sets it off

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I remember those racks of CO2 bottles in the engine rooms of ships that I served on in our Navy and the obvious message that went with them that the Engineering watch was disposable at all times. Explosion ... fire ... hull breach ... You were dead men in seconds.

not true. you would have to be in the o2 depleted area for many minutes in order to suffocate. there is a danger but it is not like cb3r or some of the other heavy hitters that they use on aircraft engines etc.