Are smartphones making us anti-social?

B00Mer

Are you guilty of phubbing? It's the habit of snubbing those around you and staring at your smartphone instead of listening to them. CBCs The Current explores whether smartphones are ruining social interaction or bringing us closer together.

Jason Perlow, a columnist and senior editor for the technology news site ZDNet.com, observes that nowadays, people are often inappropriately fiddling with their phones during business meetings, while out to dinner with other people, or in various social family situations. He notes that teenagers are particularly prone.

I think that we are learning to essentially disregard life around us, Perlow told Anna Maria Tremonti, host of The Current. Perlow wrote in a recent column that smartphones are turning society into a sea of stupid.

But not everyone agrees. Music and technology writer Bob Lefsetz believes that smartphones are helping us connect with other people. He acknowledged that rude smartphone use is a problem, but he says the pluses of smartphone use far outweigh the minuses.

Meanwhile, David Engber, a columnist with Slate.com, says that while it is natural for parents to worry that smartphones are destroying kids social skills, its also something that parents have worried about with every new technology, from comic books to Walkmans.

source: Are smartphones making us anti-social? - Technology & Science - CBC News

/////////////////////////////

Smartphones are making us anti-social and stupid..

Renny Gleeson: Our antisocial phone tricks | Video on TED.com

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Are you guilty of phubbing? It's the habit of snubbing those around you and staring at your smartphone instead of listening to them. CBCs The Current explores whether smartphones are ruining social interaction or bringing us closer together.

Jason Perlow, a columnist and senior editor for the technology news site ZDNet.com, observes that nowadays, people are often inappropriately fiddling with their phones during business meetings, while out to dinner with other people, or in various social family situations. He notes that teenagers are particularly prone.

I think that we are learning to essentially disregard life around us, Perlow told Anna Maria Tremonti, host of The Current. Perlow wrote in a recent column that smartphones are turning society into a sea of stupid.

But not everyone agrees. Music and technology writer Bob Lefsetz believes that smartphones are helping us connect with other people. He acknowledged that rude smartphone use is a problem, but he says the pluses of smartphone use far outweigh the minuses.

Meanwhile, David Engber, a columnist with Slate.com, says that while it is natural for parents to worry that smartphones are destroying kids social skills, its also something that parents have worried about with every new technology, from comic books to Walkmans.

source: Are smartphones making us anti-social? - Technology & Science - CBC News

/////////////////////////////

Renny Gleeson: Our antisocial phone tricks | Video on TED.com

No doubt it can be a sickness just like T.V. or computer or video games. You're living on the fringes of life, instead of DOING. Are people so addicted to talking?

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Smartphones now give me something to look at when I no longer desire to listen to the person speaking to me. Before I just had to stare at a potted plant and pretend to listen. Now I have an excuse.

JLM
+4
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Smartphones now give me something to look at when I no longer desire to listen to the person speaking to me. Before I just had to stare at a potted plant and pretend to listen. Now I have an excuse.

Can't you just tell them to F**K off?

hunboldt
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I've tried, but Potted plants simply DON'T CARE!

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by hunboldt View Post

I've tried, but Potted plants simply DON'T CARE!

- -

IdRatherBeSkiing

That would be rude.

petros
The phones are smarter than the users.

SLM
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

The phones are smarter than the users.

Perhaps but I still think I can take my iPhone in a fight, so it all evens out.

MHz
If I have the choice of talking to a friend or talking to the stranger I would choose the friend. Being out of cell range means I would be willing to talk to a stranger more than I would like to not talk to anybody. When I start texting somebody in the same room then it is out of control unless you say something like, 'We should get together for a drink next time we run into each other.'

Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Perhaps but I still think I can take my iPhone in a fight, so it all evens out.

So bigger is better??
How would you make out if it was who pushes who's buttons more? You probably lose points if yoy talk to your phone like it was a person.

petros
+1
"You've reached 306 569 xxxx. there is no-one available to take your call at this time, please leave your name and number and maybe I'll get back to you."

JLM

That would be rude.

People who impose on others are rude!

DaSleeper
+1
I now consider my IPhone a need, not a luxury or a toy.
Besides using it as a phone...In the last month.....I have used it

To receive and pay bills......Most of my bills are emailed to me in PDF format...and I pay them from my phone or PC

Balance my check-book .....There is an app for that

Use the "Level" app to hang a couple of picture frames on the wall

Monitor security cameras in my house when I was away a few weeks ago

Find different stores in Mississauga while I was there

Find my car In different mall and store parking lots while I was there

Several more thing if I took the time to think about it, but one thing that could have saved me a fine, if I had been stopped by the police on my trip to Toronto was......
My car/House Insurance renewal was last month, and as I was driving through Sudbury, I realised that I had forgotten to put my Insurance certificate in my car before leaving....so in order to have a worry free week down south, I just called my Insurance agent and she emailed me a pdf copy of the certificate, which I printed out when I got to my daughter's place in Mississauga.....
I'm still wondering if the police would have accepted the copy on my IPhone if I had been stopped along the way?.............

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

I now consider my IPhone a need, not a luxury or a toy.
Besides using it as a phone...In the last month.....I have used it

To receive and pay bills......Most of my bills are emailed to me in PDF format...and I pay them from my phone or PC

Balance my check-book .....There is an app for that

Use the "Level" app to hang a couple of picture frames on the wall

Monitor security cameras in my house when I was away a few weeks ago

Find different stores in Mississauga while I was there

Find my car In different mall and store parking lots while I was there

Several more thing if I took the time to think about it, but one thing that could have saved me a fine, if I had been stopped by the police on my trip to Toronto was......
My car/House Insurance renewal was last month, and as I was driving through Sudbury, I realised that I had forgotten to put my Insurance certificate in my car before leaving....so in order to have a worry free week down south, I just called my Insurance agent and she emailed me a pdf copy of the certificate, which I printed out when I got to my daughter's place in Mississauga.....
I'm still wondering if the police would have accepted the copy on my IPhone if I had been stopped along the way?.............

In another couple of generations man will be born without brain cells..................what you don't use you lose! -

DaSleeper
+2

In another couple of generations man will be born without brain cells..................what you don't use you lose! -

That phone to me is a tool, like any other tool..
Do tell me that you never use Email, calculator or any electronic device huh?

JLM

Just a little "tongue in cheek" there DaSleeper, but all kidding aside we are all getting a little less dependent on our brain cells and over time it will take it's toll.

hunboldt

Use the Abacus. Old ways =best ways....

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

So bigger is better??

I guess size really does matter.

Quote:

How would you make out if it was who pushes who's buttons more? You probably lose points if yoy talk to your phone like it was a person.

Siri's not a person?

JLM

Of course we are all using "tools" that save us both physical and mental labour, speaking for myself I try to do things to offset some of this. But at the rate we are going we are going to be 97 lb. weaklings with no brains! - We will possibly end up being a monstrosity of fingers and thumbs.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by hunboldt View Post

Use the Abacus. Old ways =best ways....

The clerk in the Paper mill where I worked used one, and until 1990 when he retired, you couldn't beat him with a simple calculator.

Of course we are all using "tools" that save us both physical and mental labour, speaking for myself I try to do things to offset some of this. But at the rate we are going we are going to be 97 lb. weaklings with no brains! - We will possibly end up being a monstrosity of fingers and thumbs.

You can come and shovel my driveway anytime this winter and save me using the snowblower-

JLM

You can come and shovel my driveway anytime this winter and save me using the snowblower-

That is one implement that should definitely be banned, too much pollution and noise and waste of precious fossil fuels. -

mentalfloss
Not for me. I've actually found I'm more social because I'm not relegated to my comp.

It's just when I neg rep someone I meant to give a +1 that it really pisses me off.

Dexter Sinister
+1
I don't think smart phones are making us anti-social, what they're doing is changing how social interactions happen, and as with any major change in how things happen, some of it's good and some of it's bad and in the long run new rules of etiquette will evolve to define what is and is not acceptable. Some people will be jerks with them, like the people who ignore dinner companions to text about trivia with somebody else, or post Instagram photos of what's for dinner (I don't care what you're having for dinner if I'm not there), but those people would be jerks anyway. On the other hand,there's what happened to me last Sunday evening. During a very lively and entertaining conversation with friends, questions over some points of fact arose, the guy sitting next to me whipped out his iPhone and looked things up, we had the answers in seconds and the conversation proceeded with everybody in possession of the same facts without the delay and interruption that looking them up any other way would have caused. That's a smart use of a smart phone.

And then this afternoon I was reading a book that touched on a related matter, the connectivity these devices provide analysed in terms of graphs and spatial dimensions . Consider a house, for instance. It has two neighbouring houses, one on each side, in a one dimensional graph every point is directly connected to two others. There'll also be a house across the street and one behind it, in a two dimensional graph every point is directly connected to four others. Or think of an apartment in a high rise, it'll also have neighbours above and below, in a three dimensional graph every point is directly connected to six others. The number of direct connections is always twice the number of dimensions. In a world with 5 billion cell phone users, we're effectively living in a space of 2.5 billion dimensions in terms of the number of direct connections we can have with others.

The book was about physics, really, the analysis was an analogy used to explain how various attempts to unify quantum theory and general relativity, like certain string theories and loop quantum gravity, attempt to reconceptualize space and time to explain the apparent superluminal information transfer required for quantum entanglement and the non-locality Bell's theorem requires.

Well, *I* thought it was interesting...

Liberalman

Yes you can as long as you text them

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Similar things were said about writing in general. People thought memory would go downhill fast if no one had to remember things and could just go look them up. Its just new technology. It changes things just as it always has. I dont really like this new practice and find the word itself rather odd.

Yes I love that part of it. Comes in great with panhandlers or people pushing things on you while outside going about your business.

If only. If people did that the article would be whining about it instead.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

"You've reached 306 569 xxxx. there is no-one available to take your call at this time, please leave your name and number and maybe I'll get back to you."

I prefer texting myself. After working about four years in a call centre I have come to hate phones and phone calls regardless of who I am talking to. If I wanted to actually speak to them verbally Id go see them.