Conservatives blame Media for Canada's failure to address Refugee Crisis

mentalfloss
Watch this conbot get utterly lambasted for completely making **** up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQfnVHI5VQI

Chris Alexander defends Canada's refugee response, blames media

Immigration minister says media has overlooked crisis

Amid what has been called the worst refugee crisis since the Second World War, the immigration minister says Canada has taken in "approximately 2,500" Syrian refugees to date.

"The numbers grow quickly through private sponsorship and government assistance. We also have brought over 20,000 Iraqi refugees," Chris Alexander said.

The plight of Syrian refugees was brought into the spotlight today after a picture of a drowned child circulated on social media. The boy was found lying face down on a Turkish beach. It is believed he was three years old. Turkish media are reporting his mother and older brother also died trying to reach Europe.

More than four million refugees have fled Syria since the crisis began in 2011. There are also more than seven million internally displaced people within Syria.

Ontario NDP candidate Paul Dewar told CBC's Power & Politics host Rosemary Barton that the Conservative government's policies have been a catastrophe.

Migrants from Syria queue for a bus in a village near Presevo, Serbia last week. The issue of what Canada should do to help alleviate the crisis of refugees and other desperate migrants in Europe was raised on the campaign trail in Canada Wednesday. (Marko Djurica/Reuters)

"They had to be dragged kicking and screaming to actually admit 1,300 refugees," he said. "They couldn't tell us for a full year … how many refugees had come. At the same time Germany, Sweden, other countries were taking in tens of thousands."

Former Liberal cabinet minister John McCallum called the Conservative response to the Syrian refugee crisis a "total disgrace," and made the comparison with Progressive Conservative leaders Joe Clark and Brian Mulroney who McCallum said were part of a tradition of Canadian generosity to refugees.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/ch...ives-1.3213514
Last edited by mentalfloss; Sep 3rd, 2015 at 12:56 AM..

mentalfloss
This is about to blow up.

Family of children found on Turkish beach were trying to come to Canada

The two small boys whose bodies washed up on a Turkish beach Wednesday were Kurdish refugees from Kobane, Syria, whose family had been desperately trying to emigrate to Canada.

Galip Kurdi, five, and his three-year-old brother Aylan died along with their mother Rehan and eight other refugees when their boat overturned in a desperate flight from Turkey to the Greek island of Kos.

The boys’ father, Abdullah, survived. His family says his only wish now is to return to Kobane with his dead wife and children, bury them, and be buried alongside them.

“I heard the news at five o’clock in this morning,” Teema Kurdi, Abdullah’s sister, said Wednesday. The telephone call came from Ghuson Kurdi, the wife of another brother, Mohammad. “She had got a call from Abdullah, and all he said was, my wife and two boys are dead.”

Teema, a Vancouver hairdresser who emigrated to Canada more than 20 years ago, said Abdullah and Rehan Kurdi and their two boys were the subject of a “G5” privately sponsored refugee application that was rejected by Citizenship and Immigration in June, owing to the complexities involved in refugee applications from Turkey.

The family had two strikes against them – like thousands of other Syrian Kurdish refugees in Turkey, the UN would not register them as refugees, and the Turkish government would not grant them exit visas.

“I was trying to sponsor them, and I have my friends and my neighbours who helped me with the bank deposits, but we couldn’t get them out, and that is why they went in the boat. I was even paying rent for them in Turkey, but it is horrible the way they treat Syrians there,” Teema said.

Fin Donnelly, the MP for Port Moody-Coquitlam, said he’d hand-delivered the Kurdis’ file to Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander earlier this year. Alexander said he would look into it, Donnelly said, but the Kurdis’ application was rejected in June. Alexander could not be reached for comment.

“This is horrific and heartbreaking news,” Donnelly said. “The frustration of waiting and the inaction has been terrible.”

Canada and Turkey have long been at loggerheads over the bottleneck blocking Syrian refugees in Turkey from finding their way to Canada. It is not uncommon for Kurds in Syria to be arbitrarily denied passports, and to have great difficulty registering as refugees with the UNHCR.

The Turkish government refuses to issue exit visas to unregistered refugees not holding valid passports.

Family of children found on Turkish beach were trying to come to Canada | Ottawa Citizen
Last edited by SLM; Sep 3rd, 2015 at 03:41 PM..Reason: REMOVE IMAGE

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2
The Cons would be wise to send a bulk load of winter jackets and warm mittens to help out

mentalfloss
+2 / -3
The Cons would be wise to fess up to killing these people.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

... Because they didn't send mittens, right?

mentalfloss
+1
What's wrong with you?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+4

What's wrong with you?

Really,? You are asking me this question?

Grow up already

taxslave
Free Thinker
+7
Our government would be wise to stop all refugees from the middle east from coming here. If not we will soon have a crisis of our own.

EagleSmack
+3
I think all parties in Canada are keeping quiet about this.

Do you REALLY want to be part of what is happening in other countries?

mentalfloss
Chris Alexander suspends Conservative re-election campaign

Conservative candidate Chris Alexander has suspended his campaign for re-election in the riding of Ajax, Ont.

Alexander, a former diplomat, was first elected in 2011. He became Stephen Harper's immigration minister in 2013.

During a Wednesday panel appearance on CBC News Network's Power & Politics, he defended the Harper government's response to the Syrian refugee crisis, and said the media had failed to "put it in the headlines where it deserves to be."

Alexander cancelled a Thursday morning media appearance and is returning to Ottawa to focus on his ministerial responsibilities.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/ca...isis-1.3213869

EagleSmack
+9
#11  Top Rated Post
Seriously Flossy... do you think there is a big outrage in Canada for keeping clear of this migration crisis?

I am sure Canadians are holding their breath and trying not to be seen.

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

The Cons would be wise to send a bulk load of winter jackets and warm mittens to help out

That is why the are running to Europe. Not to get away from ladders but to line up for Canadian mittens.

skookumchuck
Free Thinker
+5
May i remind the lefties that those people are responsible for their own troubles? Why should we bail them out and wait for it to start here?

EagleSmack
I was actually wondering why this topic even took awhile to make it to CanCon.

Canadians from coast to coast are holding their breaths about this.

Believe me folks... these migrants aren't waiting for things to settle down in their home countries and then returning. They have pulled up stakes and have left their home countries for good.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
How is the media to blame - other than for getting the word out. People can finger point all they want.....

cribone
Alexander by blaming the media for not publicising the Syrian refugee crisis is admitting that he Conservative Government does nothing to solve a problem unless there is media storm on the issue and political points can be scored in the media.

relic
Free Thinker
If you dom
n't have a problem with that lieing sack of ****, that put you in the same poke, you retarded ****s !

EagleSmack
+2
huh?

taxslave
Free Thinker
+5
The media, having extremely short attention span is focusing on the refugees instead of what is happening where they come from that is causing the problem. That being militant islam. The problem will reoccur wherever the refugees end up.

darkbeaver
Republican
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Our government would be wise to stop all refugees from the middle east from coming here. If not we will soon have a crisis of our own.

Israel is in the middle east dingbat.

Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post

May i remind the lefties that those people are responsible for their own troubles? Why should we bail them out and wait for it to start here?

We bombed them turd blossum.

EagleSmack

The media, having extremely short attention span is focusing on the refugees instead of what is happening where they come from that is causing the problem. That being militant islam. The problem will reoccur wherever the refugees end up.

Tell me that isn't the Elephant in the Room!

taxslave
Free Thinker
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Israel is in the middle east dingbat.

We bombed them turd blossum.

Israel also has a problem with militant islam but there are no refugees coming from Israel.Wonder why that is?

EagleSmack

Israel also has a problem with militant islam but there are no refugees coming from Israel.Wonder why that is?

I don't think we'll get much action on this thread.

MHz
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post

You got a link for that?? All these people that 'are on the move' wouldn't be on the move if their countries didn't have bombs dropping on them, labeled by some NATO member.
Designed famines go along with that, but Canadians and Americans get gas at $0.10 less than if they let people have a good portion of what is is worth.
When people say they care things change, so far the only change is it is getting worse, all for a piece of paper that says 'the west' deserves more than anybody else.

You got all the answers don't you?

A growing exodus of young Israelis to Berlin has not only shocked Israel’s far right leadership but has highlighted the growing disillusionment with Zionism among Israel’s younger generation.
As Israeli commentators noted, the trend would encourage the late Israeli leader, Yitzhak Rabin to turn in his grave. He once described those who fled Israel as a “cascade of wimps” and a “fallout of cowards.” Ravit Hecht, a columnist with Israel’s oldest daily newspaper, Ha’aretz, has blamed ultranationalists for the exodus, and there may well be substance to her claim. “Berlin is a lovely city, but it is sucking away all the forces that we desperately need here, especially now,” she wrote. Of course, it’s not Berlin that’s doing the sucking, but Israel, in a different sense of the word.
- See more at: Tens of Thousands of Jews Leaving Israel for Germany | American Free Press

Sort of like the US, 10,000 millionaires leave the country and 10,000 poor people from Mexico com in and that means there is no exodus from the US either

The only ones that don't run away are the ones throwing the bombs around. You ever have any head injuries, serious or otherwise?

EagleSmack
+3
huh?

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

I don't think we'll get much action on this thread.

Their religious books says none will be left in the nations. I suppose that is a minor issue when more than 1/2 seem to prefer to live in other nations. Spies or just smart?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Their religious books says none will be left in the nations. I suppose that is a minor issue when more than 1/2 seem to prefer to live in other nations. Spies or just smart?

It's safer and quieter than ducking fireworks and dodging pinwheels while leaders act like schoolkids

taxslave
Free Thinker
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

huh?

Well you wanted action. The fact is incoherent shouldn't surprise you.

Glacier
No Party Affiliation
+1
It's hard to know how many refugees are coming simply to get out of Syria, North Africa, etc, but equally, it's hard to know how many are coming to fulfill the doctrine of Al Hijrah (the doctrine of Islamic migration).
Last edited by Glacier; Sep 3rd, 2015 at 04:02 PM..

EagleSmack
Ok... I'll ask...

I'll ask since MentalFloss just took this as an opportunity to bash conservatives and I am doubtful he really cares about this issue any further than what political impact it will make.

Should Canada take tens of thousands of these migrants in?