Massive b.c. Forest fires

VanIsle
I have cousins living in Lillooet, B.C. We have of course been worried about what may happen to them and their home. Anyone else with family in the areas that are being evacuated? Here is a letter my cousin sent this morning. I cannot imagine being in their place.

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that we were evacuated on Saturday night. It was a very stressful time even though we had almost everything already in the cars. ------ & ------were at our place visiting and we had to wake the girls and get them in the cars. Then we had to wait for the Police to come and give us the instruction package on the procedures. Then we left and headed to a safe place.
We are all safe. Now all we can do is pray that it does not go into town and that no home or business are lost.

Talk to you soon.

ironsides
Glad your family is all right.
Those are some wild fires, are they seasonal like in California?

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

Glad your family is all right.
Those are some wild fires, are they seasonal like in California?

They seem to becoming seasonal for the Kelowna fire but the one where my family is, is not really a seasonal thing. They do live in one of the hotter areas of BC for summer weather. Cold in the winter. Have you seen any of the fires on TV? They are huge and scary.

ironsides
No, I went on the web and looked up Lillooet, B.C.

Lillooet wildfire rages closer to town
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/08/03/bc-fire003.html

No, the fires have not been shown down here in Florida. Hope you get some rain up there.

AnnaG
BC's wildfires are seasonal. Almost all of them are during the summer in the driest times of the season. The majority are caused by lightning strike and a few are caused by humans.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

BC's wildfires are seasonal. Almost all of them are during the summer in the driest times of the season. The majority are caused by lightning strike and a few are caused by humans.

That's true but not quite the same as in California. I just watched the news on Lillooet again now. They couldn't have more help than they do. It's phenomenal. They are getting more wind then is comfortable and they do say that if the wind turns, they could be in greater trouble. The controlled burns seem to be helping.

AnnaG
Yeah. Controlled burns, firebreaks, it all helps. Of course, bringing our Mars planes back from California would be a big help, too. That's ncredible shortsightedness exercised by Campbull and cronies.
If you look at the "Has the economy affected you" thread, there's a fellow there who is a member of a reasonable large crew in AB and they are just sitting around while those idiots in Vic ask for help from Aussies. Some people in Vic need their bells rung.

taxslave
VI ; Hope your family and all the other residents get through this ok.
AnnaG : There is a reason there are crews in B.C. around. I am one of them. We spent the weekend chasing smoke because of the heavy blanket of smoke over the Island. If we all left home to fight the existing fires there will be no one left around when a new one crops up some where. Rather like an army camp all going out on a patrol and leaving no one to guard the fort.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

VI ; Hope your family and all the other residents get through this ok.
AnnaG : There is a reason there are crews in B.C. around. I am one of them. We spent the weekend chasing smoke because of the heavy blanket of smoke over the Island. If we all left home to fight the existing fires there will be no one left around when a new one crops up some where. Rather like an army camp all going out on a patrol and leaving no one to guard the fort.

Thanks Taxslave. We are all waiting with baited breath. I know my family is safe but we do worry about their homes and what they could have to go back to.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Yeah. Controlled burns, firebreaks, it all helps. Of course, bringing our Mars planes back from California would be a big help, too. That's ncredible shortsightedness exercised by Campbull and cronies.
If you look at the "Has the economy affected you" thread, there's a fellow there who is a member of a reasonable large crew in AB and they are just sitting around while those idiots in Vic ask for help from Aussies. Some people in Vic need their bells rung.

Yes it's nice to loan something but when you badly need it yourself - it's time to bring it on home.