N.Y. cop not indicted in choke hold death

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

Is President Obama's body camera idea going to solve this problem? It might have improved some of the questions around Michael Brown's murder. But could there have been any evidence good enough to indict Darren Wilson? Apparently clear and definitive video of a police officer murdering a non-threatening man in cold blood wasn't enough. The solution isn't cameras is it? The entire justice system in the United States is broken.

Non-threatening?... Really?

Are you under the impression that Mikey Brown was 'helping up' the store clerk (repeatedly) who was so clumsy and falling all over the place?

Ran to Wilson's assistance to apply first aid for a crushed eye socket that Wilson accidentally did to himself whilst putting on his sun glasses too fast?

Corduroy
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Are you under the impression that Mikey Brown was 'helping up' the store clerk (repeatedly) who was so clumsy and falling all over the place?

Ran to Wilson's assistance to apply first aid for a crushed eye socket that Wilson accidentally did to himself whilst putting on his sun glasses too fast?

I was referring to Eric Garner when I said non-threatening. I admit it doesn't come off clearly, except for my reference to the video evidence.

captain morgan
+1
Appreciate the clarification

Locutus
buckaroo rogue cop aside, bad decisions beget worse decisions...just like ol' mikey, the drunk teen girl running over the cop and the little kid...if buddy hadda gone peaceful-like, we wouldn't even be talkin' about him unless maybe he sued the city into bankruptcy and his fanboyz could cheer with glee.

Goober
+2
Imagine if he tried to light that smoke, destroying evidence, interfering with a Police investigation, why perhaps the officer had a deep seated fear of being incinerated by the lighter.
Lucky he did not have a Stapler- Oh yeah, only in Canada.

Locutus
the idiot still could have sued NYPD I imagine...what's to lose man? take a goddamn ride 'downtown' again.

oh right. sorry.

Twila
+3
12 years old. Some are expecting a 12 year old to act like an adult. Yet, he wasn't old enough to enlist, drive, drink, or smoke. He wasn't even a teenager. He was 12 years old. A child.

If we find this ok, will shooting 5 year olds who happen to have water guns be ok too?

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

the idiot still could have sued NYPD I imagine.

The family still can.

Corduroy
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

12 years old. Some are expecting a 12 year old to act like an adult. Yet, he wasn't old enough to enlist, drive, drink, or smoke. He wasn't even a teenager. He was 12 years old. A child.

If we find this ok, will shooting 5 year olds who happen to have water guns be ok too?

You're referring to Tamir Rice, the twelve year old murder by police in Cleveland. This thread is about Eric Garner, an adult murdered by police in New York. It's hard to keep track of all the people the police are getting away with murdering.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Imagine if he tried to light that smoke, destroying evidence, interfering with a Police investigation, why perhaps the officer had a deep seated fear of being incinerated by the lighter.
Lucky he did not have a Stapler- Oh yeah, only in Canada.

Wouldn't life be so much better if there weren't any cops at all?.... They NEVER have done anything worthwhile or even the rudimentary elements of their jobs... They are all racist, lazy, corrupt, racist, trigger-happy, donut pounding, racist swine.

Utopia and harmony, that's what the world would be.

Goober
+1

Wouldn't life be so much better if there weren't any cops at all?.... They NEVER have done anything worthwhile or even the rudimentary elements of their jobs... They are all racist, lazy, corrupt, racist, trigger-happy, donut pounding, racist swine.

Capt. wrong color font.
Problem is my friend that there are cases where Officers have killed, without legal reason to.
This one using tactics prohibited by the NYPD, at least fire the fuk.
This kid, 12 years old, murder by an incompetent Officer- Watch the video - then tell me what you saw.

SLM

Not all of them

Never even used his bullet.

Quote:

Sounds like a hippy dippy nightmare of shiny happy people. I could see myself drinking heavily.
Last edited by SLM; Dec 4th, 2014 at 06:28 PM..

Locutus
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

The family still can.

doesn't do him an ounce of good now does it...maybe they change the laws of the land, get the entire force fired, the president resigns...buddy is still dead...I think the ride was an easier call.

Goober
+1
Some believe all killings by a Police officer were legal and or justified.

Locutus

Some believe all killings by a Police officer were legal and or justified.

some people believe in man-made global warming, the samsquantch, that Tony Soprano just walked away from that booth and some even say we will someday land on the sun...there's no telling really.

captain morgan

Capt. wrong color font.
Problem is my friend that there are cases where Officers have killed, without legal reason to.
This one using tactics prohibited by the NYPD, at least fire the fuk.
This kid, 12 years old, murder by an incompetent Officer- Watch the video - then tell me what you saw.

Here's where I have the problem Goobs... The police perform an incredibly difficult job and service to our commuities, They are constantly derided for the flaws and failures of a select few - tarred with the same brush regardless of the circumstance and situation. They have one of the most thankless jobs possible and are questioned every step of the way.

Each and every day, these people provide life-saving assistance for individuals/communities, yet the response from the public is a shrug of the shoulders and comment 'that is their job'... Never hear about that in the news.. No riots in communities when a cop is gunned-down... Just a sterile and thankless - 'that is their job'

I say bullsh*t.

Don't like the way they do that job?... Fire them all and hope for the best I suppose, but spare me the after-the-fact-analysis of what should have been or the cops shoulda shot the gun outta the crooks hand (seriously, some a$$holes really believe that's possible).

Now, some little bugger - and I couldn't care how old he/she is - is carrying a toy (bought for it's realistic appearance), followed by complaints from the community of 'a man with a gun in a public area and is pointing it', with the expectation/demand that the police protect the people in that area.... The little idiot did everything that he shouldn't have and paid the ultimate price... It's that dumbass' fault, NOT the police.

Same goes for Michael Brown, even more so.

Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Sounds like a hippy dippy nightmare of shiny happy people. I could see myself drinking heavily.

Vodka is a big seller in those Utopias.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

You're referring to Tamir Rice, the twelve year old murder by police in Cleveland. This thread is about Eric Garner, an adult murdered by police in New York. It's hard to keep track of all the people the police are getting away with murdering.

yeah, I posted this in the wrong thread. gah....is it friday yet?

WLDB
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

doesn't do him an ounce of good now does it...maybe they change the laws of the land, get the entire force fired, the president resigns...buddy is still dead...I think the ride was an easier call.

It never does the dead any good but people still do it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

yeah, I posted this in the wrong thread. gah....is it friday yet?

No.

Here's where I have the problem Goobs... The police perform an incredibly difficult job and service to our commuities, They are constantly derided for the flaws and failures of a select few - tarred with the same brush regardless of the circumstance and situation. They have one of the most thankless jobs possible and are questioned every step of the way.

I havent seen anyone on this thread tarring all cops with the same brush. The cops should care about this too. It is these individuals who make the rest of them look bad. There are bad people in every profession. As with any profession the bad apples should be routed out.

Goober

Each and every day, these people provide life-saving assistance for individuals/communities, yet the response from the public is a shrug of the shoulders and comment 'that is their job'... Never hear about that in the news.. No riots in communities when a cop is gunned-down... Just a sterile and thankless - 'that is their job'

I say bullsh*t.

Don't like the way they do that job?... Fire them all and hope for the best I suppose, but spare me the after-the-fact-analysis of what should have been or the cops shoulda shot the gun outta the crooks hand (seriously, some a$$holes really believe that's possible).

Now, some little bugger - and I couldn't care how old he/she is - is carrying a toy (bought for it's realistic appearance), followed by complaints from the community of 'a man with a gun in a public area and is pointing it', with the expectation/demand that the police protect the people in that area.... The little idiot did everything that he shouldn't have and paid the ultimate price... It's that dumbass' fault, NOT the police.

Same goes for Michael Brown, even more so.

Vodka is a big seller in those Utopias.

Myself I have no issues with Police- I understand they do a dirty job. But when an Officer goes over the line, then he/ she pays the price.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

I havent seen anyone on this thread tarring all cops with the same brush. The cops should care about this too. It is these individuals who make the rest of them look bad. There are bad people in every profession. As with any profession the bad apples should be routed out.

Society's reaction to flaws from police is not congruent with flaws from other professions that result in harm or death, and relative to the recent events, the pall is cast over 'The Police' - not just the specific officer involved

No one riots for weeks when a Dr. makes a mistake in q diagnosis or conflicts in medical prescriptions with a patient.

They are a target of convenience

Goober

Society's reaction to flaws from police is not congruent with flaws from other professions that result in harm or death, and relative to the recent events, the pall is cast over 'The Police' - not just the specific officer involved

No one riots for weeks when a Dr. makes a mistake in q diagnosis or conflicts in medical prescriptions with a patient.

They are a target of convenience

Not convenient, more visible.

DaSleeper
+1
Police taking a long time to show up on a call?

expect longer waiting time.

They will insist on having a supervisor present more often now....

captain morgan

Not convenient, more visible.

.. And this makes it acceptable?

Goober

.. And this makes it acceptable?

What you do not see, or does not make the news, or is forgotten over time.

Remember this fellow?

Edmonton police officer Mike Wasylyshen promoted despite criminal record - Edmonton - CBC News
The Edmonton Police Service recently promoted officer Mike Wasylyshen to sergeant despite a criminal record for the drunken, off-duty assault of a man on crutches and a disciplinary suspension for Tasering a passed-out native youth.

Wasylyshen is the son of former Edmonton police chief Bob Wasylyshen.

Court records show that at about 2:30 a.m. on Dec. 18, 2005, a “heavily intoxicated” Wasylyshen, who was off duty that night, launched an unprovoked attack on Devin Stacey, who was on crutches following knee surgery, as Stacey attempted to hail a cab on Whyte Avenue.

Wasylyshen later punched a security guard from a nearby corner store who intervened in the melee and repeatedly threatened to kill Stacey and the security guard.

Both Stacey and the security guard independently told CBC News that Wasylyshen said he could find them and would burn down their houses with their families inside.

Tasered passed-out teen

On Nov. 5, 2012, the presiding officer in an internal disciplinary hearing suspended Wasylyshen for 120 hours without pay for insubordination and using excessive force.

A decade earlier, Wasylyshen had Tasered 16-year-old Randy Fryingpan eight times in 68 seconds while the native teen was passed out drunk in a car.

Cliffy
Funny, the only person arrested during this was the guy who photographed it.

Colpy
+3
In this case, they've got a point.

With Michael Brown, nope. Dumbass tries to take a cop's gun needs one in the head, I don't care if his skin is purple with pink polka dots.

This guy, Eric Garner, had 31 arrests.....but all for minor things. He did nothing that threatened the safety of the police. Choke holds have been forbidden by any sensible agency for decades. I've had the training, and rule no. 1 is when a suspect says "I can't breathe" you believe him, although it usually is positional asphixiation that is the problem, not a throat crushing hold.

From what I've seen, the officer in this case was way out of line.

lone wolf

Are you under the impression that cop knew about a store clerk or any incident in a store?

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Are you under the impression that cop knew about a store clerk or any incident in a store?

So what if he didn't know.... Didn't make a difference to Brown in crushing his eye socket, did it?

lone wolf
+1

So what if he didn't know.... Didn't make a difference to Brown in crushing his eye socket, did it?

Speaking with you is so enlightening - much like watching the dog follow a squirrel from tree to tree

gopher
+1

Peter King blames asthma and obesity for Eric Garner’s death. That’s a problem for the GOP. - The Washington Post

There has been a rare breakout of bipartisanship over the death of Eric Garner, with Republicans and Democrats sharing concerns about a grand jury's failure to indict a New York police officer who put him in a chokehold.

Conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer called the decision "totally incomprehensible."

"It looks as if at least they might have indicted him on something like involuntary manslaughter at the very least," Krauthammer said on Fox News. "The guy actually said ‘I can’t breathe,’ which ought to be a signal, if the guy was unarmed and the crime was as petty as they come."

(Garner was suspected of selling tax-free single cigarettes.)

Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.), meanwhile, has called for House hearings. And Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-N.Y.) slammed the decision.

"You don't have to be a lawyer or an ex-prosecutor to know a human being was killed," Rangel said at a press conference, where he was flanked by other members of the New York delegation. "He was surrounded by policemen. No one else touched him. And the grand jury did not say that he committed suicide. They didn't say what happened."

But amid all of this consensus, one of the exceptions has been Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y), who tweeted this:

Thanks to SI grand jury for doing justice & not yielding to outside pressure. Decision must be respected. Compassion for the Garner family.

— Rep. Pete King (@RepPeteKing) December 3, 2014
King, who represents Long Island, also defended police officer Daniel Pantaleo's use of the chokehold, suggesting Garner's obesity and asthma made the situation more dangerous than it should have been.

"The police had no reason to know he was in serious condition," King said on CNN. "You had a 350-pound person who was resisting arrest. The police were trying to bring him down as quickly as possible. If he had not had asthma and a heart condition and was so obese, almost definitely he would not have died."

Medical examiners ruled Garner's death a homicide and said his health was a contributing factor. It listed the chokehold, his position on the ground and the compression of his chest as the main cause.

While it is unlikely that many other lawmakers, Republican or Democrat, will frame the case in the way that King has, his take will likely be a template for how some other conservatives -- particularly on talk radio and in the more obscure blogosphere -- will talk about the case. And the grand jury that declined to indict Pantaleo has its defenders. (For his part, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky), has blamed Garner's death on the high cigarette tax in New York.)

Even as many in his party are anxious to show that they are concerned about the police's treatment of an unarmed black man, King is sticking with this police-were-right mentality. And that probably doesn't help the GOP, given the consensus that seems to be forming here.