Veterans Affairs wind turbine, built for $2.3 million, stands dormant

Locutus
ST. CLOUD, Minn. — A $2.3 million federal stimulus project at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in St. Cloud is giving green energy initiatives a bad name.

A 600-kilowatt wind turbine — some 245 foot tall — stands on the wintry VA grounds, frozen in time and temperature, essentially inoperable for the past 1 1/2 years. No one is working to fix it, though many attempts were made to repair the turbine, once billed as a model green energy project.

“The St. Cloud VA is a hospital, and our focus is on our patients and we like to think that we treat our veterans very well here,” said Barry Venable, a public affairs officer for the VA in St. Cloud. “We’re embarrassed that this turbine does not operate as advertised.”

more

Veterans Affairs wind turbine, built for $2.3 million, stands dormant « Watchdog.org

55Mercury
Man, I thought St. Cloud, Minnesota was one of the most scenic little towns I'd ever seen when I hitch-hiked through it in the summer of '72 (that and Vernon, B.C.). Taking a google trip through it now, though, and "progress" has trashed its aesthetic appeal (ditto for Vernon). Fvck progress.

The Old Medic
Just another "Clean Energy" failure.

Heck, if it WAS working, it would be killing birds. $2,300,000.00 is pocket change to the US Federal Government. They waste a lot more than that every day!

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by 55Mercury View Post

Man, I thought St. Cloud, Minnesota was one of the most scenic little towns I'd ever seen when I hitch-hiked through it in the summer of '72 (that and Vernon, B.C.). Taking a google trip through it now, though, and "progress" has trashed its aesthetic appeal (ditto for Vernon). Fvck progress.

That's about the same view I have of a few places. The ruination of the south end of Baja, for instance.

Quote: Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post

Just another "Clean Energy" failure.

Heck, if it WAS working, it would be killing birds. $2,300,000.00 is pocket change to the US Federal Government. They waste a lot more than that every day!

And fossil fuel burners, hydro plants, etc. don't need maintenance? They never have problems?
uhuh I bleev dat were billyuns woodent.

EagleSmack
+1
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

And fossil fuel burners, hydro plants, etc. don't need maintenance? They never have problems?
uhuh I bleev dat were billyuns woodent.

Not working for 1.5 years and counting though?

Shouldn't it be... ummm...fixed?

L Gilbert
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Not working for 1.5 years and counting though?

Shouldn't it be... ummm...fixed?

lol Depends upon how dedicated the people that perform the maintenance are. I spose there are other factors like opportunity and suchlike, too. Maybe if we had more Dutch people to look after the windmills?