School principal arrested for selling drugs


Locutus
#1



OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. - An Osceola County school principal has been arrested in an undercover drug operation.



Partin Settlement Elementary School Principal David Groover was arrested Friday by Osceola Sheriff's deputies.

The OCSO said it launched the investigation after receiving a complaint of drug activity in the 43-year old man's home. During that investigation, Groover provided drugs to undercover officers in his home, deputies said.

He's charged with delivery of methamphetamine, delivery of GHB-controlled substance, possession of methamphetamine, possession of GHB-controlled substance, possession of controlled substance - stanololol, possession of cannabis under 20 grams and possession of drug paraphernalia.

After the arrest, deputies served a search warrant at the home and recovered methamphetamine, marijuana, GHB and drug paraphernalia, according to officials.
Osceola County Public Schools spokeswoman Dana Schafer said Groover is being reassigned to a position that does not involve contact with students.

The school district said it will do its own investigation, in addition to getting the results of the law enforcement investigation.

District officials said Groover has worked for the school district since 1992, serving as a teacher, dean, assistant principal, and was appointed principal of Partin Settlement Elementary School in 2006.

Groover was arrested in 2009 for DUI in Osceola County, but a jury acquitted him three months after the arrest.

Deputies arrest Osceola Co. school principal | Local News - WESH Home
 
SLM
#2
Guess the principal broke bad one too many times.

(Someone had to say it)
 
JLM
#3
School principal yet!!!!!!!!!! Fire up Ol' Sparky!
 
Cliffy
#4
He looks wasted in that photo.

I guess they don't pay teachers very well down there.
 
petros
#5
He doesn't look like a Jib Rat. He isn't covered with sores from picking at himself.
 
lone wolf
#6
Did he think it was high school?
 
WLDB
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

I guess they don't pay teachers very well down there.

From what Ive heard that is the case. You need to make your way somehow.
 
damngrumpy
#8
This is nonsense, having re assigned to a position that does not involve students.
Do you think? I think the assignment is called jail.
 
Nuggler
#9
............he's going to jail for a long long time.

long long.

long


even longer
 
earth_as_one
#10
Some of you are guilty of making assumptions

Groover "provided" drugs to undercover officers in his home, deputies said.

He may or may not have charged money. You don't need to sell to be charged for delivery of a controlled substance. Sharing your drugs with someone is still trafficking... although I would hope the court would be more lenient and make the distinction.

The recipients of the drugs were under cover officers. I see nothing in that story indicating he was even suspected of supplying drugs to students or children. If he was suspected of selling drugs to children or students, that probably would have been included in the story. Since that wasn't part of the story, I'll assume that this was never an issue. I doubt the news would have left that factoid out.
 
SLM
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

Some of you are guilty of making assumptions

Groover "provided" drugs to undercover officers in his home, deputies said.

He may or may not have charged money. You don't need to sell to be charged for delivery of a controlled substance. Sharing your drugs with someone is still trafficking... although I would hope the court would be more lenient and make the distinction.

The recipients of the drugs were under cover officers. I see nothing in that story indicating he was even suspected of supplying drugs to students or children. If he was suspected of selling drugs to children or students, that probably would have been included in the story. Since that wasn't part of the story, I'll assume that this was never an issue. I doubt the news would have left that factoid out.

Kindly point out just who exactly is making that assumption.


Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Guess the principal broke bad one too many times.

(Someone had to say it)

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

School principal yet!!!!!!!!!! Fire up Ol' Sparky!

Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

He looks wasted in that photo.

I guess they don't pay teachers very well down there.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

He doesn't look like a Jib Rat. He isn't covered with sores from picking at himself.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Did he think it was high school?

Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

From what Ive heard that is the case. You need to make your way somehow.

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

This is nonsense, having re assigned to a position that does not involve students.
Do you think? I think the assignment is called jail.

Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

............he's going to jail for a long long time.

long long.

long


even longer

I see references to his occupation, remarks about low payment for educators, remarks on the article mentioning his reassignment but nowhere in any of these posts is there even a hint of accusation that anyone has made that he was selling to students. If you see anyone making that assumption, then you need glasses.

What I see is you trotting in here on your imaginary high horse to 'set everyone straight'.

And you actually wonder why folks give you a hard time?
 
earth_as_one
#12
"I guess they don't pay teachers very well down there."
 
SLM
#13
And this is supposed to be code for "He's selling drugs to the kids"?????

See I would interpret that to mean that because they don't pay teachers well they have to resort to criminal means to make extra money.
 
earth_as_one
#14
Where did the article claim he sold the under cover officers drugs?

I see drug use as a mental health issue. I am against criminalizing possession of small amounts for personal use. If someone offers to share their drugs they are guilty of distributing, but its not the same as selling drugs for profit.

Except for his being a poor role model, I see nothing in this principle's actions which could be interpreted as a threat to students or children.

I am against locking people up for "long, long, even longer" time, for simple possession. Its not only a waste of taxpayer's money, it turns a drug user into a criminal.

If this principle is just a drug user, he should get counseling.
 
SLM
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

Where did the article claim he sold the under cover officers drugs?

From the link:

Quote:

An earlier version of this story stated Groover sold drugs to the undercover officers, police later amended those remarks, stating that Groover "provided" drugs to the officers. WESH-TV regrets the mistake.



It was stated earlier.

Regardless we are not just talking about a few ounces of pot here.


Quote:

I see drug use as a mental health issue. I am against criminalizing possession of small amounts for personal use. If someone offers to share their drugs they are guilty of distributing, but its not the same as selling drugs for profit.

Except for his being a poor role model, I see nothing in this principle's actions which could be interpreted as a threat to students or children.

I am against locking people up for "long, long, even longer" time, for simple possession. Its not only a waste of taxpayer's money, it turns a drug user into a criminal.

Sure, nothing wrong with a little Meth for personal use eh? To say nothing of providing free samples of a common date rape drug. Surely there's nothing questionable about that.
 
earth_as_one
#16
Actually we are talking about less than an ounce of marijuana, not a few ounces. Likely we are talking about small amounts of the other drugs. I don't know how much meth and the other drug he had, but it couldn't have been much than what would be considered personal use, otherwise he'd face other charges. The copy and paste in the OP never mentioned selling drugs. I didn't read the fine print in the link as it looked just like the OP.

BTW, which drug is a date rape drug?

I am against locking people up for possession of small amounts of recreational drugs for personal use. IMO, drug use should be treated as a mental health problem, not a criminal activity. That doesn't mean I support using drugs or believe there is nothing wrong with drug use. I am against wasting taxpayers money to lock up essentially harmless people and turning them into criminals.
 
SLM
+1
#17  Top Rated Post
Quote:

GHB and Rohypnol are available in odorless, colorless, and tasteless forms that are frequently combined with alcohol and other beverages. Both drugs have been used to commit sexual assaults (also known as “date rape,” “drug rape,” “acquaintance rape,” or “drug-assisted” assault) due to their ability to sedate and incapacitate unsuspecting victims, preventing them from resisting sexual assault.

Club Drugs (GHB, Ketamine, and Rohypnol) | DrugFacts | National Institute on Drug Abuse
 
earth_as_one
#18
I never heard of GHB. Thanks... I learned something new.
 
SLM
+1
#19
This is not, in my opinion, a situation of the authorities making a big deal of someone who's holding, smoking or even dealing a little pot.

I can't think of one good reason for anyone to have those substances (GHB and Meth) whatever the amount. These are not harmless substances. And the GHB makes me really suspicious.
 
earth_as_one
#20
He was not accused of dealing drugs. As you pointed out, the story retracted that allegation. He is accused of "delivery" and "possession" of controlled substances. If he sold these items, he would have been charged with "trafficking" or selling drugs.

It sounds to me, he thought he had made some new friends and invited them to over for recreational drug use. He was busted when the new friends turned out to be uncover police officers. The news story deliberately plays up the drug user's day job as a principle to create an impression that he might be a risk to children... which might be true. But nowhere in that story is it alleged that he supplied drugs to children.

I admit I have no personal knowledge of meth and GHB. Meth sounds like it is only used recreationally. It sounds nasty and highly addictive. While GHB could be used as a date rape drug, its also commonly self administered as an intoxicant and sleep aid. However I share your suspicion regarding his purpose for possessing GHB.
 

Similar Threads

1
Meth-selling principal jailed
by Locutus | Oct 19th, 2007
7
Pushers selling Deadly Drugs Legally
by darkbeaver | Oct 17th, 2007
29