Five earthquakes, including two 6.0-magnitude quakes, strike off Vancouver Island,

petros
+2
While the region northwest of Vancouver Island's northern end experiences frequent seismic activity, it has been particularly active today.

A series of four offshore earthquakes took place this morning, ranging from 5.1- and increasing in intensity to two 6.0-magnitude quakes.

A fifth earthquake has also recently hit at 3:38 p.m.

Earthquakes Canada measured it as a 4.8-magnitude quake while the U.S. Geological Survey initially reported it as 4.9-magnitude temblor before before reassessing it as 4.7-magnitude.

According to Earthquakes Canada, it struck at a depth of five kilometres (three miles) and the epicentre was located 168 kilometres (104 miles) west of Port Hardy, 336 kilometres (209 miles) west of Campbell River, and 508 kilometres (316 miles) northwest of Vancouver

Danbones
Yes, metrification sure made communication easier!

petros
Who isn't using metric?

B00Mer
+2
Just off the Queen Charlotte Islands, not even close to Vancouver..

Must of been Santa kicking into warp drive

Twin_Moose
+3
#5  Top Rated Post
Has to be Climate change

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Just off the Queen Charlotte Islands, not even close to Vancouver..
Must of been Santa kicking into warp drive

Noooo. Off Vancouver Island

taxslave
+2
The last one is right off South Morsby.

pgs
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

The last one is right off South Morsby.

Yikes I thought that it was incorrect to call the Queen Charlotte Islands , the Queen Charlotte Islands .

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Has to be Climate change

its called tectonics

another hoax I guess

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Yikes I thought that it was incorrect to call the Queen Charlotte Islands , the Queen Charlotte Islands .

Not to anyone that grew up on the coast. For the PC crowd maybe. My charts still say Queen Charlotte Islands and the government didn't send me new charts.Or even stickers with the name change.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Not to anyone that grew up on the coast. For the PC crowd maybe. My charts still say Queen Charlotte Islands and the government didn't send me new charts.Or even stickers with the name change.

Have the newer charts been changed ? That might be worth a look .

Jinentonix
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

its called tectonics

another hoax I guess

Really? Are you sure it isn't APT? Anthropogenic Plate Tectonics?

Blackleaf

Must be cool being Prince William or Prince Harry knowing the islands are named after your great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, wife of King George III.

Or maybe it's just normal to them to have geographical features around the world named after their ancestors.

B00Mer
https://www.bellinghamherald.com/new...238679183.html

Get ready for the big one

taxslave

Have the newer charts been changed ? That might be worth a look .

Interesting thought.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Must be cool being Prince William or Prince Harry knowing the islands are named after your great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, wife of King George III.
Or maybe it's just normal to them to have geographical features around the world named after their ancestors.

Umm no. The islands are named after the ship that brought them smallpox. The ship was named for a dutch queen according to the books.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/new...238679183.html
Get ready for the big one

LMAO. Several times a year the grant writers pull out the next big one is overdue thing to get people all excited about giving away money. Government unions are big on creating careers planing for the BIG one. SUppying survivalists is big money out here. Over the years the money saved not buying earthquake insurance has paid for a truck.