Filipino devotees nailed to cross

sanctus
By JOEAL CALUPITAN

Seven devotees were nailed to crosses on Good Friday in a northern Philippine village where the rites drew thousands of tourists and spectators.

The Lenten ritual is opposed by religious leaders in the Philippines Southeast Asia's largest predominantly Roman Catholic nation. But it has persisted to become one of the country's most-awaited summer attractions in San Fernando City's San Pedro Cutud village.

The devotees' palms and feet were attached to wooden crosses with 4-inch nails soaked in alcohol to prevent infection after a nearly mile-long walk to the mound, each carrying a wooden cross on their backs.

Among the yearly penitents in San Pedro Cutud was Ruben Enaje, a 46-year-old commercial sign maker who was nailed to the cross for the 21st time on Friday.

Earlier in the day in the same village, dozens of half-naked men hit their bloodied backs with bamboo sticks dangling from a rope in a flagellation rite meant to atone for sins.

More than 100 foreign tourists flocked to this year's Good Friday rites, with many of them seated on a stage at the side of the mound.

"They take this religion to the extreme," observed Gomas de Miguel, a tourist from Spain. "In Spain, we say we are Catholics but we don't do this anymore I think."

"It's not my belief, but I know that they are sincere in what they are doing so I respect it," said American tourist Dennis Smith.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

selfactivated
Im speachless............Ok Im not.......Wheres the joy in that? How could they think that their God finds that pleasing?

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivated View Post

Im speachless............Ok Im not.......Wheres the joy in that? How could they think that their God finds that pleasing?

I have no idea...Haven't you heard of this before? They do it every year..."fanatic" would be a polite way to describe them. What amazes me are not so much these people and what they do, but the thousands who flock to the site to watch them do it...

selfactivated
no, I shelter myself from alot because Im empathic (I feel people) I agree the crowds are just voyers of violence. I would think this would never happen in the states.....I would hope.

s243a
You could say people do it do get an appreciation of what Jesus went though.

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by s243a View Post

You could say people do it do get an appreciation of what Jesus went though.

You could but isnt that why christ did it? So yall didnt have to go through it?

s243a
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivated View Post

You could but isnt that why christ did it? So yall didnt have to go through it?

Maybe these people deal with pain well. Some people purposely inflict pain on themselves as a form of escape.

selfactivated

Maybe these people deal with pain well. Some people purposely inflict pain on themselves as a form of escape.

Thats what they tell me........

talloola
Reminds me of the 'old west', when there was a hanging, everyone showed up, booths were set up
for sellers, and the curiosity was intense.
We're they tougher than we are today, or just more primitive, were they much more used to seeing
death than we are, or more insensitive.
I feel such pity for people who do such extreme rituals for the sake of their religion, they seem so
simple minded.
But, I'm an atheist, so I cannot relate to any of that, I guess some can.

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

Reminds me of the 'old west', when there was a hanging, everyone showed up, booths were set up
for sellers, and the curiosity was intense.
We're they tougher than we are today, or just more primitive, were they much more used to seeing
death than we are, or more insensitive.
I feel such pity for people who do such extreme rituals for the sake of their religion, they seem so
simple minded.
But, I'm an atheist, so I cannot relate to any of that, I guess some can.

I feel rather sorry for them as well. I appreciate their intentions to show their devotion to God, but I suspect prayers and fasting would do

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctus View Post

I feel rather sorry for them as well. I appreciate their intentions to show their devotion to God, but I suspect prayers and fasting would do

I agree, prayers, hymns, calm and peacefullness would work for me. We are having a nice family
dinner today, enjoy each other, and give thanks for what we have.

Happy Easter to you.

s243a
I think it is heroic. Kind of like walking on fire.

Dexter Sinister
I think it's stupid, the crucifixions, the self-flagellation, all of it. Just plain stupid. Any god who requires that of his followers isn't worthy of worship.

Nobody walks on fire, BTW. Lots of people walk on hot coals, but there's no particular trick to that, anybody can learn to do it.

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

I think it's stupid, the crucifixions, the self-flagellation, all of it. Just plain stupid. Any god who requires that of his followers isn't worthy of worship.

Nobody walks on fire, BTW. Lots of people walk on hot coals, but there's no particular trick to that, anybody can learn to do it.

God does NOT require it. Misguided souls have convinced themselves it is a sign of piety.

sanctus
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

Years back, I actually witnessed this event. I was doing some mission work in the Philippines and some of co-workers convinced me to go along with them to observe the spectacle. I did not find it a religious experience or a sense of holiness. I was utterly horrified and left after a few minutes. It sickened me, to be honest with you.

Dexter Sinister

God does NOT require it. Misguided souls have convinced themselves it is a sign of piety.

Yes, of course, I knew that, though I can see how my choice of words might have suggested otherwise. I was merely trying to point out an inconsistency, that the Christian conception of god is not consistent with a god who expects his followers to do themselves such harm in his name, or even merely appreciates it when they do. That is at complete variance with any message I can extract from the New Testament.

karrie

I think it is heroic. Kind of like walking on fire.

There's nothing heroic about causing such a vast amount of trauma to your body that your mind has no choice but to split off into a dissociative state.

karrie

From the Jehova's, who feel the body is a temple to the point where they won't accept blood transfusions, to this sort of lunacy. It's funny how belief can span such extremes.

westmanguy
I think re-enactments without the awful pain, are good.

Like the Passion of the Christ, people need to remember what Jesus Christ went through for us, to be forgiven and go to Heaven through him.

Went to the United Church of Canada today, for Easter, local branch.

I shiver at the Liberalness of it.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post

I think re-enactments without the awful pain, are good.

Like the Passion of the Christ, people need to remember what Jesus Christ went through for us, to be forgiven and go to Heaven through him.

Went to the United Church of Canada today, for Easter, local branch.

I shiver at the Liberalness of it.

You would probably like the stations of the cross that the Catholic church does then westmanguy.

Sure, it's not acted out, or put up on a video screen, but it's powerful.