Age Discrimination?

AirIntake
Some younger Stampede patrons kept out of bars
Last updated Jul 12 2005 11:31 AM MDT
CBC News
Some Calgary bars are screening patrons at the door during Stampede – and keeping out males under the age of 25.

Bar managers say the age limit helps curb problems at their establishments during the biggest party of the year.

Kelly Morrison, manager of the Whiskey Nightclub, says their decision to keep younger men out reduces violence and impaired driving.

"We do allow women in under the age of 25," he said. "It's basically up to the doorman's discretion, up at the door."

Andy Dallin, who came into town from Bangkok to sell jewelry during the Stampede, says he was shocked when he and a friend were turned away from Tantra Saturday night.

"I was disappointed because Stampede is supposed to be a big party time," he said.

His friend Aaron Lemkey, who came into town from Lethhbridge, said the bouncer at the door wouldn't let them in when told they were 23 and 24.

The Alberta Liquor Control Act doesn't prohibit discrimination on the basis of age.

Lemkey says guys his age should makes some calls before heading out, to save them time.

"We ended up doing a lot of walking just to find a decent place," he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm wondering how this can be legal?

Reverend Blair
Having the Stampede Crawl a couple of times, I'd have to say that people under 25 are no more drunk and obnoxious than those over 25.

AirIntake
I thought that age was a form of discrimination covered in the Constitution? I know there are special cases (under 18, insurance rates, etc), but I don't see how this can be legal.

Reverend Blair
It likely isn't, but how many kids under 25 have the money to fight it all the way to the supreme court?

Twila
Bars and Restaurants all have those signs that state they have the right to refuse service to whom they see fit.

Jay
"I'm wondering how this can be legal?"

It is always OK to discriminate against males in this country.

Twila
Quote:

Jay, I've often equated equality laws with the pendulum of a clock. I hope that one day the pendulum will stop in the middle.

manda
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila

Quote:

Jay, I've often equated equality laws with the pendulum of a clock. I hope that one day the pendulum will stop in the middle.

What an interesting way to phrase it Twila. I've always said that I am not a feminist, but a humanist. age, race, sex, whatever, doesn't matter. If I don't like someone, it's their personality that I don't like, same for thos I do like

Jay
We even have a Minister for Women’s Issues....it won't be stopping in the middle anytime soon.

AirIntake
I don't see why the supreme court needs to get involved. If I were black, and denied access to those bars, would I have to go all the way up to the supreme court before I get answers? I thought the police dealt with discrimination of this type?

AirIntake
I sent an email to the Canadian Human Rights Commission with a copy of the news text asking them for some clarification on this. Maybe they'll even reply!

manda
Quote: Originally Posted by AirIntake

I sent an email to the Canadian Human Rights Commission with a copy of the news text asking them for some clarification on this. Maybe they're even reply!

don't hold your breath, you might end up looking like this guy>

Twila
Quote:

We even have a Minister for Women’s Issues....it won't be stopping in the middle anytime soon.

Pssssst Jay, that's cause us women have lots of issues.......lol

manda

Quote:

Pssssst Jay, that's cause us women have lots of issues.......lol

Lots of issues?! I am a walking issue! :P

AirIntake
Update: Still no reply

It's funny that this doesn't bother more people. I'm sure that if this thread was about discrimination of a racial group there would be more reponses. Perhaps Jay is right, the last group that it's ok to discriminate against is young white males. That's really too bad, as I fit into the under 25 male category, yet I have an engineering job and degree, and would be the last one to start problems at a bar because I wouldn't want to jeapardize my career. This discrimination really bothers me as a Canadian citizen.

missile
Am I getting this straight? you're being discriminated against being drunk and acting rowdy. Personally,I feel you have that right already.

I think not
There are so many bars that do not allow entry for certain age groups, I'm not sure that is discrimination. If it were, wouldn't a visit to the local police station suffice? The bar would be breaking the law.

missile
Besides,there are certain bars I wouldn't want to get into..biker bars and gay bars.[Might have a few problems getting out!]

AirIntake
Do police deal with discrimination? Is that federal or provincial law? How is that law worded? Something just seems very wrong to me.

I think not
I've been to gay bars in Manhattan, you can't really tell the difference until you're inside anyway. And many straight couples go to gay bars, they have a much more vibrant atmosphere.

AirIntake
I've never seen a bar ban old men and cougars from bars. They can be quite 'undesireable' yet are never banned. I'm pretty sure if you tried to run a bar where everyone over 35 wasn't allowed there'd be problems. People over 35 can afford lawyers.

Twila
How do restaurants get away with deny entry to those without shirts or shoes?

How would a bar be allowed to kick out drunk patrons if they had no rights to deny entry based on their own chosen criteria?

I think not
There are many under the age of 25 that can afford lawyers and if you cannot afford a lawyer, you can go to the District Attorneys office (whatever is equal in Canada). An attorney is assigned to you by the state if you cannot afford one if there is reasonable accusations your rights are being violated.

I cannot see how so many bars would do this without being cited.

TenPenny
I hope you all save your indignation for another 5 or ten years, when you might run a business, and have your livelihood threatened by the actions of a group of people under 25.

Then I know you'll just relax and let it all slide, remembering how important this idea of "discrimination" is.

AirIntake

How do restaurants get away with deny entry to those without shirts or shoes?

How would a bar be allowed to kick out drunk patrons if they had no rights to deny entry based on their own chosen criteria?

Due to health regulations, restaurants must require their customers to wear shirts and shoes for sanitary reasons.

Bars do have the right to refuse service to individuals whom they deem will cause problems in the bar. This is their right as no bar should have to deal with a certain problem customer with no recourse. But this is banning an entire demographic based not on their actions, but based on their age and gender. It would be very illegal to disallow arabs from entering a bar. The bar could argue that arabs pose an increased threat to the bar due to their ties to terrorism (bars are arguing that 18-25yr males pose an increased threat due to their experience with some), but this would be discriminatory and illegal. Not all arabs are terrorists, not all <25yr males are drunken brawlers. Since the charter bans discrimination based not only on race, but age and gender as well (in the same line of the charter, no less), I don't see how this is any different than racist discrimination.

AirIntake
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny

I hope you all save your indignation for another 5 or ten years, when you might run a business, and have your livelihood threatened by the actions of a group of people under 25.

Then I know you'll just relax and let it all slide, remembering how important this idea of "discrimination" is.

I'm not stupid TenPenny, I have the right to, and would ban any individual causing problems in my bar. I would post their pictures for the bouncers to see. I have never had a problem with a bar doing this. I would NEVER discriminate on a group of people just because of past problems with 'similar' people.

TenPenny, the only reason this doesn't bother you is because you aren't in the demographic in question. That's sad. Do you only stand up for the rights of people who are the same as you? Are you so special that your rights are more important than mine or anothers?

TenPenny
I know you might find this hard to believe, but I used to be in that demographic. And when I was, I believed that a business had the right to do whatever the hell they wanted.

By the same token, I knew that at under 25, I couldn't rent a car from most places. And my own car insurance premiums were higher. So what? When I needed a truck, I went to the place that would rent to me. I didn't whine about it, or sue. Life goes on.

It's important for young people to be idealistic, but for God's sake, whining about not being allowed into a bar is hardly worth the effort.

Jo Canadian
Having worked as a bouncer in an Alberta bar I can certainly say the young drunks are the worst. After all the age to drink there is 18. If I had my way the booze would be dumped down the drain and I'd bring out the weed.

After I became legal age I lost interest in the bars anyways. They were more fun when I was underage. They're all overrated meat markets anyways.

My only problem with age discrimination is when travelling on the train (I'm sure some of you read that little rant before). Long story short...the conductors were dicks.

AirIntake
TenPenny:

So you believe that business should be allowed to turn away Arabs because of their tendency towards terrorism? After all, the business should be able to do whatever it wants and shouldn't have to follow any little piece of paper like the charter, right?

TenPenny
I think age discrimination shouldn't be part of the charter.

It's assinine. Are you going to fight about insurance rates now? What about the old age pension?. I think I should be able to collect it now, not when I'm 60. How about it?
I want to be able to go to a movie for the children's admission price. And those restaurants where kids eat free, that's wrong, too.

At some point, this idea becomes stupid. And I think that point is long before we fight about getting into bars.