Another Shooting in Toronto-What a Dump That Place Is

Curious Cdn
Chicago is roughly the size of Toronto (slightly smaller) and both cities are ports on the Great Lakes in the same general region of the continent. Chicago had a good year, last year (2017) and only had 650 murders. Toronto had 65 murders, 39 by firearms. This has been a really bad, record year here with 96 murders, 50 by firearms. Still, about a fifth of the population of Canada lives in the Greater Toronto Area and that thins the numbers way out.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Chicago is roughly the size of Toronto (slightly smaller) and both cities are ports on the Great Lakes in the same general region of the continent. Chicago had a good year, last year (2017) and only had 650 murders. Toronto had 65 murders, 39 by firearms. This has been a really bad, record year here with 96 murders, 50 by firearms. Still, about a fifth of the population of Canada lives in the Greater Toronto Area and that thins the numbers way out.

The "Dump" analogy is ridiculous and I think if you check closely Chicago is quite a bit larger than Toronto, like probably close to twice the size.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

The "Dump" analogy is ridiculous and I think if you check closely Chicago is quite a bit larger than Toronto, like probably close to twice the size.

No, Toronto and it's environs passed Chicago about a decade ago. The GTA is steadily adding a million plus per decade and Chicago, like a lot of Northern US industrial cities is shrinking. Chicago is shrinking a little. Nearby Detroit, once a great city has lost half of it's population in about twenty years with no improvement in sight. If you wonder why we in the East see a decaying neighbour over the border, it is because their cities are literally dying in the Northeast.

Curious Cdn
Largest Cities in North America
Mexico City (Mexico): 8,854,600.
New York City (US): 8,550,405.
Los Angeles (US): 3,971,883.
Toronto (Canada): 2,826,498.
Chicago (US): 2,720,546.
Houston (US): 2,296,224.
Havana (Cuba): 2,117,625.
Ecatepec de Morelos (Mexico): 1,760,705.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/con...ca-population/

JLM

No, Toronto and it's environs passed Chicago about a decade ago. The GTA is steadily adding a million plus per decade and Chicago, like a lot of Northern US industrial cities is shrinking. Chicago is shrinking a little. Nearby Detroit, once a great city has lost half of it's population in about twenty years with no improvement in sight. If you wonder why we in the East see a decaying neighbour over the border, it is because their cities are literally dying in the Northeast.

I believe the shrinking of Detroit that you mention is actually more of a political phenomena than a geographical one. Greater Detroit with close to 4 million people is still the 11th largest urban area in the U.S. caused largely by the inner city population moving out to the suburbs contained in Wayne. Oakland and McComb counties.

JLM

Going by your logic the city of London England is about 1 square mile with a population of +/-100000.

Curious Cdn

Going by your logic the city of London England is about 1 square mile with a population of +/-100000.

I didn't make the numbers up. The City of Toronto is bigger than the City of Chicago. The Greater Toronto Area is bigger than Suburban Chicago. It didn't used to be that way. At the current rate of growth, the GTA will have 12-13 million people, mid century and since this region bears the brunt of most of the immigration into Canada, it's going to happen. It's very hard on the local economy as they have to supply services to newcomers with nothing more than property taxes and a perennial shortage of housing pushes real estate prices out of reach for young couples that want to start families. This rapid growth has not made the place "a dump" but it isn't necessarily healthy, either.

pgs

I didn't make the numbers up. The City of Toronto is bigger than the City of Chicago. The Greater Toronto Area is bigger than Suburban Chicago. It didn't used to be that way. At the current rate of growth, the GTA will have 12-13 million people, mid century and since this region bears the brunt of most of the immigration into Canada, it's going to happen. It's very hard on the local economy as they have to supply services to newcomers with nothing more than property taxes and a perennial shortage of housing pushes real estate prices out of reach for young couples that want to start families. This rapid growth has not made the place "a dump" but it isn't necessarily healthy, either.

Great enjoy your race riots.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Great enjoy your race riots.

If one ever happens ....

No one does riots like Vancouver does.

bill barilko

No one does riots like Vancouver does.

At least ours are about something that matters IOW hockey.

petros

Largest Cities in North America
Mexico City (Mexico): 8,854,600.
New York City (US): 8,550,405.
Los Angeles (US): 3,971,883.
Toronto (Canada): 2,826,498.
Chicago (US): 2,720,546.
Houston (US): 2,296,224.
Havana (Cuba): 2,117,625.
Ecatepec de Morelos (Mexico): 1,760,705.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/con...ca-population/

Population of the Chicago Metropolitan Area. Today, Chicago the city makes up only just over a quarter of the wider Chicago-Joilet-Naperville Metropolitan Area's population. According to data from the 2010 census, the CJN Metro Area is home to an impressive 9,504,753 people.

petros
According to the 2016 census, the Greater Toronto Area has a population of 6,417,516.

GTA is only 3.1 Million less than Metro Chicago Area but who is counting?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

According to the 2016 census, the Greater Toronto Area has a population of 6,417,516.

GTA is only 3.1 Million less than Metro Chicago Area but who is counting?

I guess It all depends on where you want to draw the line. Things are evidently changing in leaps and bounds. When I was in school Montreal was the largest city in Canada by a wide margin. In the U.S. Detroit was about 5th after Pha. and L.A. Baltimore, Cleveland and St. Louis were huge cities.

Curious Cdn

I guess It all depends on where you want to draw the line. Things are evidently changing in leaps and bounds. When I was in school Montreal was the largest city in Canada by a wide margin. In the U.S. Detroit was about 5th after Pha. and L.A. Baltimore, Cleveland and St. Louis were huge cities.

The action has moved south. Spend a week or two touring Texas. That's where the action moved to ... never to move back North.

MHz

Draw it according to unemployment and see if they body count rises and falls at the same time. Slums are prime targets for the elite to fuk with and they have a long list of ways they can do that. Money being slightly less powerful than food and hungry people will kill faster than somebody will over a material possession.

MHz

Low unemployment = more crime, that is not what I expected.

Last edited by MHz; Dec 31st, 2018 at 08:51 AM..

Curious Cdn
Yeah, I believe it. Note the spike around 1991 when we entered a good sized recession.

taxslave
+2

The action has moved south. Spend a week or two touring Texas. That's where the action moved to ... never to move back North.

Outside the sphere of crime family controlled unions.

Curious Cdn
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Outside the sphere of crime family controlled unions.

Could be ... if you mean that the Koch Brothers don't constitute a crime family.

B00Mer
+2
Toronto, Canada's little America..

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Toronto, Canada's little America..

Actually, the most "American" part of Canada culturally and politically is Alberta ... by a long shot. The differences between Southern Ontario and Upstate New York just to our south are pretty profound, in many ways. If the Canada/US border between Alberta and Montana disappeared, you'd be pretty hard pressed to see where the boundary was.

Tecumsehsbones

Yup. Clearly, the largest city in the world is Big Cabin, Oklahoma. The BCMA (Big Cabin Metropolitan Area), which includes all of North America, has a population of approximately 430,000,000

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Yup. Clearly, the largest city in the world is Big Cabin, Oklahoma. The BCMA (Big Cabin Metropolitan Area), which includes all of North America, has a population of approximately 430,000,000

Would that be close to Tulsa?

JLM
+1 / -1

Actually, the most "American" part of Canada culturally and politically is Alberta ... by a long shot. The differences between Southern Ontario and Upstate New York just to our south are pretty profound, in many ways. If the Canada/US border between Alberta and Montana disappeared, you'd be pretty hard pressed to see where the boundary was.

Yep, Canada could be enhanced a lot if more of it's citizens were like Albertans. No wilting violets there when it comes to working in 30 below C weather!

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Yes, cuz legal guns keep us safe from the gubmint. Just ask any victims of genocide if they would have been better off to have had guns to protect themselves from their gubmint.

You mean that same gubmint that you want to give the right to kill you?

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Does anyone know how many women were shot and wounded Vs men or races of survivors?

Offhand I'd say over a billion Chinese survived.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

If you are trying to convince the snowflakes and apologists in this forum.....you're wasting your time...

*Hugs*

There there

Cannuck

I guess that the constant hate propaganda about the East out your way is nonsense.

Westerners donít hate the east because of crime. They hate them because youíre leeches that donít respect what we give you.

Cannuck

Actually, the most "American" part of Canada culturally and politically is Alberta ... by a long shot. .

Thatís why we have a Dipper government and Ontario has Ford

JLM
+1 / -1
ASSHOLE IS BACK- Sayonara everyone and best wishes for 2019!