Soccer: Serious business.

Locutus
I always wondered what came after a red card in soccer

DRUDGE REPORT ‏@DRUDGE_REPORT

Brazilian football ref pulls gun out during red card dispute...

http://drudge.tw/1VkL5jb

Blackleaf
Football. The proper man's game. Not that rugby nonsense.

Having said that, I just can't imagine a gun being pulled out by a ref in the Premier League or Football League in England (because there are hardly any guns here). It'd certainly make for an extraordinary Match of the Day.

Locutus
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Football. The proper man's game. Not that rugby nonsense.

fuk you and anyone that looks like you.

soccer.

soccer.

soccer.

still a bunch of bad actors holding their shins and crying for the ref.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

fuk you and anyone that looks like you.

soccer.

soccer.

soccer.

still a bunch of bad actors holding their shins and crying for the ref.

Greatest, most popular sport in the world, is football.

[IMG]https://sports-images.vice.com/images/articles/meta/2014/11/28/how-frauds-and-con-artists-crippled-scotlands-greatest-soccer-club-1417180297.jpg?crop=1xw:0.7519582245430809xh;0xw,0 .09138381201044386xh&resize=900:*&output-quality=75[/IMG]

Locutus
+1
reality tv is popular too...doesn't make it any good.

oh and thanks for exporting that 'big brother' shyte over here.

Blackleaf

I always wondered what came after a red card in soccer

In English football, red cards in first team competitive matches result in immediate suspension from forthcoming first team competitive matches. The FA decides how many matches the offending players miss according to the severity of the offences.

reality tv is popular too...doesn't make it any good.

Some reality TV is good. I enjoyed 10,000BC earlier this year.

As for football, it's the greatest sport on Earth, and you know it. It's much better than anything you have.

Quote:

oh and thanks for exporting that 'big brother' shyte over here.

You can thank the Dutch for Big Brother. Nothing to do with us.

EagleSmack
+1
soccer!

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

soccer!

So named by the British. In 1863, the British formed two organizations to govern football. One was the Football League, which governed Rugby football. The other was the Football Association, regulating the game that is now called soccer. The British would shorten "Association" to "Assoc," which then became "Assoc football," and later simply "soccer."

So next time a Brit gets his blood pressure up over whether to call it soccer or football, just remember they're the ones who started calling soccer lo, these many years ago.

Ludlow
I guess I like watching soccer about as much as watching golf or bowling for dollars, Tennis is about as interesting as well. But to each his/her own.

EagleSmack
+2

captain morgan
+1
That was such a sweet goal... Absolutely froze the goal keeper, she didn't even twitch a muscle

AnnaG
+1
Well, I like soccer. But I have to agree that male soccer seems to have bred a bunch of drama queens ("proper men"?). "Oh owie owie owie! I got grass stained!"

gopher
I watched a scholastic soccer game today between my neighborhood school and a suburban school.

The referee was favoring the suburban school all game long and our players were complaining about it. Then in the start of the second half the referee gave a red card to one of our players. But this got our players angry and they rallied for a 5-0 victory.

Justice!

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

So named by the British. In 1863, the British formed two organizations to govern football. One was the Football League, which governed Rugby football. The other was the Football Association, regulating the game that is now called soccer. The British would shorten "Association" to "Assoc," which then became "Assoc football," and later simply "soccer."

So next time a Brit gets his blood pressure up over whether to call it soccer or football, just remember they're the ones who started calling soccer lo, these many years ago.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

In 1863, the British formed two organizations to govern football. One was the Football League, which governed Rugby football. The other was the Football Association, regulating the game that is now called soccer.

The Football League was actually founded in 1888 (1863 was the year in which the Football Association (FA), the governing body of English football, was formed at the Freemasons Tavern on Great Queen Street in London) and is football, not rugby. It is an English football league competition. It is the oldest such competition in world football. It was the top-level football league in English football until 1992 when the top 22 clubs split away to form the Premier League (which was reduced to 20 teams in 1995). So the Football League consists of 72 professional clubs and the Premier League consists of 20 professional clubs. The Football League is also the name of the governing body of the Football League and organises the Football League Cup and the Football League Trophy.

English rugby union is governed by the Rugby Football Union (RFU) and was also the world governing body of rugby union until 1886 when World Rugby (WR) was formed. The WR was founded as the International Rugby Football Board (IRFB). The body was renamed the International Rugby Board (IRB) in 1998, and took up its current name in November 2014.

English rugby league is governed by the Rugby Football League (RFL) which was established as the Northern Rugby Football Union in 1895.

Last edited by Blackleaf; Oct 2nd, 2015 at 08:19 AM..

EagleSmack
Its called soccer.

Locutus
sock-er

EagleSmack
Socka

I took my kids to "socka" practice when they were kids.

captain morgan
+1
It's an outrage that the Brits call their national sport football... It's an insult to the real NorAm football.

AnnaG
+1
Odd, huh.
People used to say stuff like, "Shuddup or I'll sock you one" indicting that hands were to be used to beat on someone. And then along came this North American sport called "football" in which the feet are rarely used in relation to the ball.
I love ironies like that. Funny stuff.

captain morgan
Good catch.

So, what's your take on the expression 'British dental care'?

Clearly there isn't any, so do we chalk this up to another irony?

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Good catch.

So, what's your take on the expression 'British dental care'?

Clearly there isn't any, so do we chalk this up to another irony?

hahaha Some of them look like they have good teeth. Dentures, huh?

captain morgan
Yeah... Gotta be

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

It's an outrage that the Brits call their national sport football... It's an insult to the real NorAm football.

You mean handegg?