35% of Canucks Atheist - Up from 19% in 2005

tay
A substantial percentage of the public-49%, one in two Canadians-say that their religious beliefs are important to them. There are some interesting regional variations: the least religious reside in Québec and British Columbia (43%); the most religious, in Alberta and the Atlantic provinces (56%).

Nevertheless, the churches are empty. Religious belief seems more a case of cultural heritage than the expression of a sustained practice of worship. As such, the difference between believing God and religious beliefs is telling: people feel less need of a Church to "connect" with God.

The trends are telling, too. While 65% of Canadians say they believe in God, this percentage has been in continuous decline, down from 81% in 2005. A similar trend obtains for religious beliefs. The numbers who tell us that religion is important to them have dropped from 70% of the population in 2000 to 49% in 2017.

https://www.crop.ca/en/blog/2017/169/

Kreskin
Prayer; There's probably an app for it.

Musky
Atheism is the newest religion.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Prayer; There's probably an app for it.

a multitude... cuz most people are to brainwashed to think up their own. I mean, how many ways can you pray to an imaginary being?

petros
Imaginary as mother earth?

Musky
People who believe in God are dumb.

Curious Cdn
+2
#7  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Musky View Post

People who believe in God are dumb.

People who believe in people are dumb.

Cliffy
+1

Science is the new religion.

petros
Science is a dead end.

Curious Cdn
Consumerism is God. ... has been for two thirds of a century. Mercedes Benz are holy objects to be prayed for.

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Consumerism is God. ... has been for two thirds of a century. Mercedes Benz are holy objects to be prayed for.

They are to be worked for and then you pray that nobody hits it.

Kreskin
Bow to big brother in the device.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

They are to be worked for and then you pray that nobody hits it.

The devil comes in many forms.

petros
And has no insurance.

Jinentonix
+1

Not really. I used to say that too but it's not actually correct. Religions (at least the theistic ones anyway) have set guidelines of belief and dogma up the wazoo. There's not really much you could call "atheist dogma".
Religion has a set of instructions one must follow in order to be "successful" in the end. Atheism really doesn't. There's no scripture, no codifications to govern it. I'd even bet that if you left people to their own devices today and didn't continually corrupt them with the burden of religious dogma as children, there'd be a hell of a lot more atheists (and maybe agnostics) than there are today.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Not really. I used to say that too but it's not actually correct. Religions (at least the theistic ones anyway) have set guidelines of belief and dogma up the wazoo. There's not really much you could call "atheist dogma".
Religion has a set of instructions one must follow in order to be "successful" in the end. Atheism really doesn't. There's no scripture, no codifications to govern it. I'd even bet that if you left people to their own devices today and didn't continually corrupt them with the burden of religious dogma as children, there'd be a hell of a lot more atheists (and maybe agnostics) than there are today.

Precisely. Atheism is an absence of belief. No one shows up and tells anyone how to be an atheist, you just are one.