Hi, I'm in Wichita, Kansas, USA, have utmost respect and liking for Canada & Canadians, and if I could I would move to Canada and join you, and I wanted to join this discussion about exploding lighters. A temporary guest in my home just this morning left a BIC lighter and pack of cigarettes in his rain-drenched clothes in my dryer. I heard the clatter when the lighter came out of the pocket, investigated, and got the lighter and cigarettes out. The lighter was very warm when I got it. Back in 1978 I did heavy research on BIC lighters. A man was welding and blew his heart out in New York City, a woman in a station wagon lost three kids in the seat behind her when a BIC exploded, a man walking along a street in Miami, Florida lost one leg when his lighter ignited in his pants pocket on a hot day. In 1978, in the Northeastern US, BIC manufactured one million lighters per day. Of those million, 12,500 were defective. The source of explosions in defective lighters was metal or some substance collecting under the valve lever. Striking the lighter caused these shreds. As the shreds accumulated under the lever, it was raised just enough to allow butane gas to escape the nozzle. Lighters with less fluid in them were the most likely to explode because they had more actual gas volume than a full lighter. All of this information is accurate as of 1978. As lone wolf has noted, BIC uses a different plastic than other manufacturers. The key here is the lever, and accumulation of debris under it. One sign of a defective lighter is when you release the valve lever and it closes, does the flame go out immediately or does it linger, grow smaller, and then disappear. If the latter event, then you need to examine the space under the lever, if there is no debris then a malfunction of the lever is present. It is best to throw the thing away and get another one. During my 68-years I have gone through a about 200 (guess) of these lighters. I've encountered only one that was truly defective. SOme of my friends have tried different experiments. One was throwing the lighter down on the concrete to see if it would explode. Another was to block open the valve so the BIC lighter stayed lit until the fluid was all gone. In neither of these events did the lighters explode. So, my sharing here is to alert anyone who cares to examine the valve levers, in all lights no matter who is the manufacturer or type of plastic.