Nanny State has CCTV cameras installed at gas stations


Locutus
#1
that will automatically stop the pump if an uninsured car tries to fill up

Cameras at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured or untaxed vehicles from being filled with fuel, under new government plans.

Downing Street officials hope the hi-tech system will crack down on the 1.4million motorists who drive without insurance.

Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras are already fitted in thousands of petrol station forecourts.

Drivers can only fill their cars with fuel once the camera has captured and logged the vehicle’s number plate.

Currently the system is designed to deter motorists from driving off without paying for petrol.




more


CCTV at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured cars being filled with fuel - Mirror Online
 
55Mercury
+1
#2
geez, just give pissed-off people something to vandalize why dontcha?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

that will automatically stop the pump if an uninsured car tries to fill up

Cameras at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured or untaxed vehicles from being filled with fuel, under new government plans.

Downing Street officials hope the hi-tech system will crack down on the 1.4million motorists who drive without insurance.

Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras are already fitted in thousands of petrol station forecourts.

Drivers can only fill their cars with fuel once the camera has captured and logged the vehicle’s number plate.

Currently the system is designed to deter motorists from driving off without paying for petrol.




more


CCTV at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured cars being filled with fuel - Mirror Online

"The proof is in the pudding", if it works why not?
 
wulfie68
No Party Affiliation
+3
#4  Top Rated Post
Interesting how something designed to inhibit lawbreakers is suddenly called a product of the Nanny State. Commenting about Big Brother watching would be more appropriate.

As for the overall idea, I have no issues: if the car isn't insured, then why is it on the road? Part of the agreement to drive is to obey the laws pertaining to the use of motor vehicles and the public roads. Insurance lapsed? TFB: pay attention to your responsibilities as a driver and you won't have the issue.
 
petros
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

"The proof is in the pudding", if it works why not?

It creates a black market for gasoline. Teens can't buy beer but how many teens still get drunk on beer every weekend?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

It creates a black market for gasoline. Teens can't buy beer but how many teens still get drunk on beer every weekend?

That ain't changed in 50 years!
 
petros
#7
Exactly. So why would gasoline be any different? Are they going to ban gerry cans?
 
55Mercury
+1
#8
good point. you don't need a license to buy gas for your gas-powered tools.
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

that will automatically stop the pump if an uninsured car tries to fill up

Cameras at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured or untaxed vehicles from being filled with fuel, under new government plans.

Downing Street officials hope the hi-tech system will crack down on the 1.4million motorists who drive without insurance.

Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras are already fitted in thousands of petrol station forecourts.

Drivers can only fill their cars with fuel once the camera has captured and logged the vehicle’s number plate.

Currently the system is designed to deter motorists from driving off without paying for petrol.




more


CCTV at petrol stations will automatically stop uninsured cars being filled with fuel - Mirror Online

Sounds like a good idea to me. Helps catch nitwits who would drive off without paying, and those who
don't have insurance. Why is this not a good idea?
 
petros
+3
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

. Why is this not a good idea?

Because you can buy gas with a gerry can?

Creating a blackmarket where there wasn't one before is just plain retarded.
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
+1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Because you can buy gas with a gerry can?

Creating a blackmarket where there wasn't one before is just plain retarded.

What are you saying petros? We just turn a blind eye to jerks breaking the law? I have a one gallon
can that I use for the lawn mower. It lasts for most of the Summer. I have no sympathy for law breakers
and why should I?

Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

What are you saying petros? We just turn a blind eye to jerks breaking the law? I have a one gallon
can that I use for the lawn mower. It lasts for most of the Summer. I have no sympathy for law breakers
and why should I?

Get the driver's licence number of anyone filling a five gallon gerry can.
 
55Mercury
#12
why not? the cost increase to you, the tax-payer, will not be offset by whatever fines or fees they'll reap from its use. the equipment has to be purchased, installed, maintained, and I suppose insured as they will make great targets for those who want to underline what a dumb idea it is.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Because you can buy gas with a gerry can?

Creating a blackmarket where there wasn't one before is just plain retarded.

Why can't a vehicle be photographed while the Jerry can is being filled? (Unless the guy is on foot of course)
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by 55Mercury View Post

why not? the cost increase to you, the tax-payer, will not be offset by whatever fines or fees they'll reap from its use. the equipment has to be purchased, installed, maintained, and I suppose insured as they will make great targets for those who want to underline what a dumb idea it is.

What is your answer 55Mercury?
 
petros
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

What are you saying petros? We just turn a blind eye to jerks breaking the law? I have a one gallon
can that I use for the lawn mower. It lasts for most of the Summer. I have no sympathy for law breakers
and why should I?



Get the driver's licence number of anyone filling a five gallon gerry can.

Is it illegal use a gerry can? Why make it illegal to use one?

It's a case of nunya.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by 55Mercury View Post

why not? the cost increase to you, the tax-payer, will not be offset by whatever fines or fees they'll reap from its use. the equipment has to be purchased, installed, maintained, and I suppose insured as they will make great targets for those who want to underline what a dumb idea it is.

Most businesses have cameras installed anyway, so I hesitate to buy the argument about equipment being purchased. If we have to have technology we may as well use it. Who pays the cost when an uninsured driver has/causes a $million accident?
 
55Mercury
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68 View Post

Interesting how something designed to inhibit lawbreakers is suddenly called a product of the Nanny State.

...

um... I think the term Nanny State in this case is in reference to the UK, which ever increasingly earns its reputation as the quintessential nanny state.
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Most businesses have cameras installed anyway, so I hesitate to buy the argument about equipment being purchased. If we have to have technology we may as well use it. Who pays the cost when an uninsured driver has/causes a $million accident?

Exactly. It must be a good idea to stop people driving off without paying. By the same token catching uninsured drivers with existing equipment can't be bad.
 
55Mercury
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Most businesses have cameras installed anyway, so I hesitate to buy the argument about equipment being purchased. If we have to have technology we may as well use it. Who pays the cost when an uninsured driver has/causes a $million accident?

who will pay for someone to monitor hours of footage?
 
petros
#20
Why would you leave policing to a gas station and not the cops?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68 View Post

Interesting how something designed to inhibit lawbreakers is suddenly called a product of the Nanny State. Commenting about Big Brother watching would be more appropriate.

As for the overall idea, I have no issues: if the car isn't insured, then why is it on the road? Part of the agreement to drive is to obey the laws pertaining to the use of motor vehicles and the public roads. Insurance lapsed? TFB: pay attention to your responsibilities as a driver and you won't have the issue.

A "Nanny State" is only necessary where we have irresponsible people who break the laws!
 
petros
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

A "Nanny State" is only necessary where we have irresponsible people who break the laws!

Is it illegal to buy gasoline?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Why would you leave policing to a gas station and not the cops?

For the same reason you'd make home security a responsibility of the home owner and not the cops.
 
petros
#24
Then why have cops at all?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Is it illegal to buy gasoline?

I don't see that being the issue, I'm sure Walmart snaps lots of pictures of people legitimately shopping.
 
petros
#26
Even better why bother with courts? We can leave that up to the gas stations too.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Then why have cops at all?

To arrest law breakers for one and prevent crime for two.
 
55Mercury
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

What is your answer 55Mercury?

what's my answer? how do we do it here? don't renew anyone's license if fines are outstanding. After that it's the court's responsibility to ensure penalties are prohibitive to those who are caught driving illegally.
 
petros
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I don't see that being the issue, I'm sure Walmart snaps lots of pictures of people legitimately shopping.

Does Wal Mart currently have access to CPIC? Should they have access to CPIC?
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by 55Mercury View Post

who will pay for someone to monitor hours of footage?

Isn't the uninsured motorist picked up automatically ? That was my understanding.