Boffins create formula to create perfect bacon buttie

Blackleaf
A beautiful bacon buttie

Perfect ... Is this the best bacon sarnie?

By TOM HARVEY
April 09, 2007

British scientists believe they have come up with a formula to create the perfect bacon buttie (sandwich).

The two most important aspects are crispiness and crunchiness, according to a new study.

It revealed the crunching sound while eating rashers should ideally measure 0.5 decibels.

They should also break when 0.4 Newtons of force is applied through chewing, the researchers said.

Butties were tested using a high-tech computer that measures food texture, while panels of 50 volunteers judged the butties for taste, texture and flavour.

The good old bacon buttie is considered one of Britain's national foods.

Four scientists at Leeds University spent more than 1,000 hours testing 700 variations of the traditional bacon buttie.

Variants included: different types and cuts of bacon (smoked, unsmoked, streaky, thick cut); cooking techniques (frying, grilling, oven cooking or microwaving); types of oil (sunflower, olive, vegetable); and a range of cooking times at different temperatures.

Dr Graham Clayton, who led the research team, said: "We often think that it's the taste and smell of bacon that consumers find most attractive.

"But our research proves that texture and sound is just, if not more, important."

British households spend more than 1 BILLION on bacon every year and it remains the UK's most frequently eaten meat.

The Formula (remember it when wanting to prepare the perfect bacon buttie)

N = C + {fb(cm) . fb(tc)} + fb(Ts) + fc . ta

N = force in Newtons required to break the cooked bacon.
fb = function of the bacon type.
fc = function of the condiment/filling effect.
Ts = serving temperature.
tc = cooking time.
ta = time or duration of application of condiment/filling.
cm = cooking method.
C = Newtons required to break uncooked bacon.

thesun.co.uk

L Gilbert
Practise makes perfect.

DurkaDurka
mmmm.... bacon. I don't need any damn algebra to tell me if a bacon sandwhich is good!

#juan
A few slices of nice, fresh, ripe, Beefsteak Tomato and a bit of good mayo would make that a decent sandwich.

Libra Girl
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

A beautiful bacon buttie

Please do not let Curiosity anywhere near this! This is MINE!

Shocking though, that four scientists should waste valuable talent and time over 1000 hours testing 700 variations of a bacon buttie.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

A few slices of nice, fresh, ripe, Beefsteak Tomato and a bit of good mayo would make that a decent sandwich.

There's tastier tomatoes around than Beafsteaks. And mayo is boring, I prefer Miracle Whip.

Libra Girl
You are both mistaken... Daddies sauce! Ummmm

L Gilbert
Recipe?

Libra Girl
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Recipe?

lol, *blushes* er... it's a strong brown sauce, made by a company called 'Daddies,' and comes in a squeezy bottle.

#juan
I think I still prefer mayo and just about any kind of tomato.

Libra Girl
lol, but, it's very spicy... I love it.

L Gilbert
Hmmm. Yeah, don't want to overpower the taste of the bacon with other stuff. But I'll stick to MW, Uglyripe or perhaps heirloom tomatoes, and lean smoked or doublesmoked bacon.

I'll have to try this "Daddie's Sauce".

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Libra Girl View Post

lol, but, it's very spicy... I love it.

I think I had Daddies Sauce on a roast beef sandwich in a London pub a few years ago....it's almost like HP sauce. Bacon and tomato requires a gentle, more delicate touch.

Libra Girl
The thing is you see, I can't have mayo, which is made with eggs and milk or cream.. eggs are lethal to me, I am highly allergic to them, and milk also...
yuan, yes, it is indeed very similar to HP sauce, just made by a different manufacturer.
Try it L Gilbert, but be warned.. it'll knock your socks off, it's so spicy... lol

L Gilbert
Well, I'll try it if I find it. I like HP sauce so I'll probably like it. But I like HP on meats that don't have a lotta flavor themselves, particularly breakfast sausages.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Libra Girl View Post

The thing is you see, I can't have mayo, which is made with eggs and milk or cream.. eggs are lethal to me, I am highly allergic to them, and milk also...
yuan, yes, it is indeed very similar to HP sauce, just made by a different manufacturer.
Try it L Gilbert, but be warned.. it'll knock your socks off, it's so spicy... lol

Allergic to eggs? You have my sympathy. I love eggs, and I love good mayo...even Miracle Whip. We can rough it for you though, and have just bacon and tomato....in which case, I would have it between two slices of toasted light rye bread.

L Gilbert
Buttered (no margarine) rye toast.
Yeah, rye seems to bring out the best flavors in the stronger-flavored meats like corned beef, pastrami, smoked bacon, etc.

Libra Girl

Allergic to eggs? You have my sympathy. I love eggs, and I love good mayo...even Miracle Whip. We can rough it for you though, and have just bacon and tomato....in which case, I would have it between two slices of toasted light rye bread.

Sounds delicious yuan...

#juan

Yeah, rye seems to bring out the best flavors in the stronger-flavored meats like corned beef, pastrami, smoked bacon, etc.

Corned beef?
During Expo 86 we had a restauranter, and former denizen of Montreal called Phat Phil (Fat Phil) who turned out real Montreal smoked meat sandwiches on rye bread that were to die for. The shaved corned beef was at least 2 1/2 inches thick.

Libra Girl

Yep!

L Gilbert

Corned beef?
During Expo 86 we had a restauranter, and former denizen of Montreal called Phat Phil (Fat Phil) who turned out real Montreal smoked meat sandwiches on rye bread that were to die for. The shaved corned beef was at least 2 1/2 inches thick.

I remember that. I had a few.
Geeee. McD's on the left, Fat Phil on the right. Choice? What choice? There's a deli in Kloneville (Kelowna) near Ellis that makes them thick with corned beef, too.