Conservative leader Andrew Scheer removes Maxime Bernier as innovation critic


spaminator
#1
Conservative leader Andrew Scheer removes Maxime Bernier as innovation critic
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
June 12, 2018
Updated:
June 12, 2018 11:21 PM EDT
Andrew Scheer, right, is congratulated by Maxime Bernier after being elected the new leader of the federal Conservative party at a leadership convention in Toronto on May 27, 2017. Scheer has removed Bernier as innovation critic after Bernier published an excerpt of his book online.Frank Gunn / The Canadian Press / Files
OTTAWA — Conservative Party Leader Andrew Scheer has removed Quebec MP Maxime Bernier from his role as the party’s innovation critic.
A senior Conservative source tells The Canadian Press Scheer made the decision after finding out Monday that Bernier had posted to his personal website a chapter on supply management that is part of his forthcoming book.
“He made a commitment to the leader and to caucus that he would no longer promote his book and he mislead the leader and the caucus,” said the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Bernier posted the chapter on June 5 but Scheer was not made aware of it until Monday.
Scheer said in a statement Tuesday night that science critic Matt Jeneroux would assume Bernier’s duties as innovation critic on an interim basis.
The move introduces a new fracture in an already tenuous relationship between the party leader and the man he beat out for the job a year ago.
Bernier first released the chapter in April, as a marketing tool for his book, “Doing Politics Differently: My Vision For Canada” which was supposed to be published in the fall. The chapter on supply management blamed the dairy lobby in Quebec for electing Scheer and called them fake Conservatives who only joined the party to vote against Bernier because he was advocating to get rid of supply management.
On April 18, after a tense caucus meeting in which other Conservative MPs accused Bernier of backstabbing Scheer and causing division within the party, Bernier announced he would postpone the publication indefinitely.
But on June 5, amid U.S. President Donald Trump’s latest attacks on Canada’s supply management system, Bernier quietly added the chapter to his personal website where it can be downloaded.
In April 2017, during the party leadership, Bernier penned an open letter to Trump in The Globe and Mail, thanking him for raising the issue of supply management and agreeing with him that “this protectionist system is unfair for the farmers in Wisconsin and other states, who cannot make a better living by selling their products to their Canadian neighbours.”
Bernier left the House of Commons before a vote Monday on an NDP motion condemning attacks by Trump and his officials on Canada, his tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum and expressing support for supply management and Canada’s agriculture industries.
The motion passed unanimously as all parties rallied behind Trudeau to support Canadian industries like steel and dairy against Trump’s accusations of unfair trading practices.
The issue of supply management could hurt the Conservatives in Quebec in the next election for the same reason it hurt Bernier in the leadership race if dairy farmers feel the Conservatives won’t support it.
The Conservatives have jumped on Trudeau in recent days for allegedly offering concessions to the U.S. on dairy as part of negotiations for a new North American Free Trade Agreement. Trudeau met with dairy farmers in Ottawa Tuesday to reassure them of his support for the industry.
The Liberals have been doing everything to sow the seeds of discontent in the party over Bernier’s position on supply management, taunting the Conservatives in question period about it regularly in recent weeks.
The dairy industry is on edge thanks to direct and repeated attacks by Trump, who set his sights on supply management during the U.S. presidential election and hasn’t let up.
Trump says Canada imposes 270 per cent tariffs on U.S. milk and calls it unfair. However, the U.S. exports more milk to Canada than Canada does to the United States and Canadian critics say the U.S. dairy farmers are suffering because they are producing too much milk, creating a glut in the market that is depressing prices.
Supply management is a pricing control system where quotas are set to regulate production of products like milk, eggs and poultry.
My chapter on supply management - Maxime Bernier
Conservative leader Andrew Scheer removes Maxime Bernier as innovation critic | Toronto Sun
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
#2
I'm sure that if Maxime said that Quebec's dairy co-ops are unfair to US farmers, his head would be on a pike the next day.
 
White_Unifier
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I'm sure that if Maxime said that Quebec's dairy co-ops are unfair to US farmers, his head would be on a pike the next day.

I agree with many of Bernier's ideas on free trade. Obviously Scheer might want to distance himself from them in the midst of a trade war with Trump. This just shows:

1. How Trump seriously miscalculated how Canada would react to his trade war, and

2. How Canadian politicians have reacted too emotionally to Trump by now hurting the Canadian consumer just as much as Trump is hurting the US consumer.
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

I agree with many of Bernier's ideas on free trade. Obviously Scheer might want to distance himself from them in the midst of a trade war with Trump. This just shows:

1. How Trump seriously miscalculated how Canada would react to his trade war, and

2. How Canadian politicians have reacted too emotionally to Trump by now hurting the Canadian consumer just as much as Trump is hurting the US consumer.

The Americans subsidize their farmers in major ways. The corn subsiidies amount to tens of billions of dollars a year and their primary purpose is to keep jerkwater politicians on-side in various legislative bodies. This is major league hypocracy. Don't give an inch to those assholes.

p.s. Everybody, everywhere on this Earth subsidizes their farmers, somehow.
 
White_Unifier
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I'm sure that if Maxime said that Quebec's dairy co-ops are unfair to US farmers, his head would be on a pike the next day.

Do you so distrust yourself with your own money as a consumer that you need the government to guide your spending for you?

I could understand if you were an addict and we were talking about regulating addictive products. Other than that, I'd assume you can decide for yourself how to spend your money, no?

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The Americans subsidize their farmers in major ways. The corn subsiidies amount to tens of billions of dollars a year and their primary purpose is to keep jerkwater politicians on-side in various legislative bodies. This is major league hypocracy. Don't give an inch to those assholes.

p.s. Everybody, everywhere on this Earth subsidizes their farmers, somehow.

So we should let the world's taxpayers subsidize our food and thank them for it.
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Do you so distrust yourself with your own money as a consumer that you need the government to guide your spending for you?

I could understand if you were an addict and we were talking about regulating addictive products. Other than that, I'd assume you can decide for yourself how to spend your money, no?



So we should let the world's taxpayers subsidize our food and thank them for it.

I know that farming in Canada often requires subsidy because of the disadvantages of our climate and geography. On the other hand, relying solely on other foreign places ... not terribly stable ones, either ... who have zero commitment to your welfare if a crisis arrises, for you entire good supply is a colossal national security failure. Just about every country subsidizes agriculture. The US does it in a big way. So does the EU and probably Russia and China, too. If you want to eat, you had better maintain some infrastructure for growing your own food. Food is different from widgets and consumer products.

So is water and expect major conflicts over that in the future.
 
Hoid
#7
Canada needs to protect its agriculture just as it always has. Once it's gone it's gone
 
spaminator
#8
Maxime Bernier’s lack of loyalty behind his job loss: Scheer
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
June 13, 2018
Updated:
June 13, 2018 5:58 PM EDT
Andrew Scheer, right, is congratulated by Maxime Bernier after being elected the new leader of the federal Conservative party in Toronto on Saturday, May 27, 2017.Frank Gunn / Canadian Press
OTTAWA — Quebec MP Maxime Bernier says the controversial book chapter that cost him his job in the Conservative shadow cabinet has been available on his website for weeks.
OTTAWA — Andrew Scheer is facing a test of his leadership after tossing one-time leadership rival Maxime Bernier from the Conservative shadow cabinet for breaking a promise to stop promoting his controversial political manifesto.
Bernier denies he did anything wrong and some of his supporters are even urging him to break away from the Tories and start his own libertarian party.
Bernier has said very little since Scheer fired him as the party’s innovation critic Tuesday night, but he did take to Twitter to suggest he didn’t understand why he lost his portfolio.
“I just want to clarify one thing at this time,” he wrote. “The chapter on (supply management) posted on my website is THE SAME that was publicly available for weeks on my publisher’s website but was taken down when I decided to postpone the book indefinitely. There is nothing new, I did not ’publish’ it.”
The chapter was originally published in April to market Bernier’s forthcoming book on his political vision for Canada. In it, he took pot shots at Scheer for pandering to dairy farmers in Quebec, accusing him of signing up “fake Conservatives” in the leadership race to prevent keep Bernier and his anti-supply management policy, from winning.
After Scheer and caucus colleagues expressed their disappointment, Bernier promised to shelve the book for now and not further promote it.
And then he posted the offending chapter to his own website on June 5.
“It’s essential when members of our shadow cabinet make a commitment to caucus that those commitments are kept,” Scheer said Wednesday following the party’s weekly caucus meeting.
Bernier attended that meeting but did not come out to speak to reporters.
Conservative MP Tony Clement, who endorsed Bernier during the 2017 leadership race, said Bernier’s choice to post the chapter was a mistake and Scheer took a “difficult but necessary” step in firing him as innovation critic. Clement also blamed the media for trying to make a bigger deal of the issue than it was.
Foreign affairs critic and erstwhile leadership contender Erin O’Toole said he was puzzled by Bernier’s decision but stressed he remains a valued member of the Conservative caucus.
“He has a very important place in the Conservative movement,” said O’Toole.
But some of Bernier’s supporters were incensed and took to social media to call for a revolt against Scheer and to open up discussion of Bernier leaving the Conservatives to start his own party.
“Could Maxime Bernier be persuaded to lead a new party to reinstate progressive Libertarian values including economics, business innovation, societal innovation, Canadian Unity, and free speech,” tweeted Steph Sagar, a Bernier supporter from Toronto.
She called Bernier’s firing “a disgraceful and foolish decision” and said Scheer had lost her support and her money.
The hashtag #IstandwithBernier was relatively busy with traffic in the hours immediately after Bernier’s firing though it had died down by Wednesday afternoon.
Andrew McDougall, one-time communications director to former Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper, wrote in Macleans that the “sacking” of Bernier is a test of Scheer’s ability to keep the party together. He blamed Scheer for failing to ensure Bernier was on side as soon as President Donald Trump started using supply management as his Canadian attack du jour.
Maxime Bernier removed as innovation critic
The dilemma for Scheer is that Bernier represents a significant part of the Conservative tent — libertarians, who are particularly prevalent in urban areas where the Conservatives must make gains if they are to win in 2019.
While Scheer and O’Toole earned the lion’s share of caucus support during the leadership race (31 MPs endorsed O’Toole, who finished third and 24 endorsed Scheer), Bernier raised the most money, bringing in $2.5 million compared with $989,000 for Scheer.
Bernier also had the first ballot votes of nearly 30 per cent of Conservative members and led the way in seven provinces and two territories. Bernier led Scheer on every ballot but the one that counted, losing on the 13th ballot by a margin of 50.95 per cent to 49 per cent.
The math of those results suggests Scheer made a mistake in firing Bernier, said one tweeter.
“A move that potentially alienates 49% of the Conservative membership is dangerous if Scheer is serious about winning 2019,” said Ontario physician David Jacobs. “I would strongly reconsider.”
Maxime Bernier
 
Hoid
#9
There is no way the conservatives are winning anything in 2019.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

There is no way the conservatives are winning anything in 2019.


They have a shot with the photo-op princess at the helm prior.
 
spilledthebeer
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I know that farming in Canada often requires subsidy because of the disadvantages of our climate and geography. On the other hand, relying solely on other foreign places ... not terribly stable ones, either ... who have zero commitment to your welfare if a crisis arrises, for you entire good supply is a colossal national security failure. Just about every country subsidizes agriculture. The US does it in a big way. So does the EU and probably Russia and China, too. If you want to eat, you had better maintain some infrastructure for growing your own food. Food is different from widgets and consumer products.

So is water and expect major conflicts over that in the future.


The European nations and Japan all agree that maintaining home grown food supplies is a sensible national priority and a security issue!


And it should be for Canada as well! But its the USUAL LIE-beral CRAP with dairy farming!



Pierre Trudeau set up the marketing boards and issued the milk quotas and set prices- and of course the BEST DEALS WENT TO QUEBEC!!!


But the further problem of marketing boards is they turned dairy farmers into agricultural ARISTOCRATS! Dairy farmers make way more money than any other type of farmer!


Prime minister Mulroney defended the marketing boards during the original NAFTA negotiations - with one big reason being to ensure Cdns did not get Bovine growth hormones in their dairy products! Yankee farmers cannot operate without the stuff but Cdns do not use it as it is seen as dangerous to consumers!


Its just too bad that LIE-berals have been so utterly stupid on national security issues that Trump has chosen to use trade deals as a bludgeon in a desperate - and probably DOOMED attempt - to beat some sense into thick LIE-beral skulls!


Problem is that LIE-beral skulls are so packed with dreams of gravy there is no room for sensible ideas or any logical though!
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
#12  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Canada needs to protect its agriculture just as it always has. Once it's gone it's gone

The best way to do that would be to quit making it so difficult for Farmers to grow food. Getting rid of the dairy subsidies is a good start.
 
coldstream
#13
Hopefully this is a sign of the direction Scheer intends to take the Conservatives.

Away from the Mulroney, Harper, Flaherty NeoConservative model of grovelling before their American masters and towards the economic nationalism of our founding principles. That means directed support of a national, popular, integrated, industrial economy and renationalization of the Canadian currency (and retention of agricultural supply management).

There are so many cruddy globalists and free marketeers (economic liberals) like Bernier in the Conservative ranks though that Scheer seems at best a broker of between irreconcilable definitions of 'conservatism'. It would take someone of Trump like forcefulness to redefine the Party from that of the last 30 years, and i'm not sure Scheer has the strength.

The failure of Free Trade has become obvious in Trump's bully and bluster of the Supply Management System for Milk, and threats against the Auto industry. Canada and U.S economy are not 'interdependent' and 'equal' under NAFTA... but as with all junior partners in a free trade system it has been made 'dependent' and 'subordinate' to American interests (Mexico is even worse shape). Mulroney, Chretien, Harper, Trudeau have sold out our sovereignty.

There are two fundamental economic trading systems in the world.. the Imperial consisting of free trade, colonialism, exploitation, enslavement in the hands of a polarized economic oligarchy. And the National consisting of a protection, integration, equity, with wide distribution of wealth and diversity of economic activity.

We've been lied to as to the real intentions of Free Trade.. which has always been in support of the Oligarchs of banking, trading, and corporate concentrations of wealth and against the Canadian people.
 
WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+2
#14
Unwise. Scheer won the leadership by a hair. This could turn into something similar to the Chrétien/Martin battles of the late 90s and early 00s. That did the Liberals no favours. This move won’t help the Conservatives either.
 
White_Unifier
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

Hopefully this is a sign of the direction Scheer intends to take the Conservatives.

Away from the Mulroney, Harper, Flaherty NeoConservative model of grovelling before their American masters and towards the economic nationalism of our founding principles. That means directed support of a national, popular, integrated, industrial economy and renationalization of the Canadian currency (and retention of agricultural supply management).

There are so many cruddy globalists and free marketeers (economic liberals) like Bernier in the Conservative ranks though that Scheer seems at best a broker of between irreconcilable definitions of 'conservatism'. It would take someone of Trump like forcefulness to redefine the Party from that of the last 30 years, and i'm not sure Scheer has the strength.

The failure of Free Trade has become obvious in Trump's bully and bluster of the Supply Management System for Milk, and threats against the Auto industry. Canada and U.S economy are not 'interdependent' and 'equal' under NAFTA... but as with all junior partners in a free trade system it has been made 'dependent' and 'subordinate' to American interests (Mexico is even worse shape). Mulroney, Chretien, Harper, Trudeau have sold out our sovereignty.

There are two fundamental economic trading systems in the world.. the Imperial consisting of free trade, colonialism, exploitation, enslavement in the hands of a polarized economic oligarchy. And the National consisting of a protection, integration, equity, with wide distribution of wealth and diversity of economic activity.

We've been lied to as to the real intentions of Free Trade.. which has always been in support of the Oligarchs of banking, trading, and corporate concentrations of wealth and against the Canadian people.

I don't know what municipality you live in, but I'd like to propose that the Government use it for an experiment. Gradually raise tariffs against that city and watch it prosper.
 
spilledthebeer
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

I don't know what municipality you live in, but I'd like to propose that the Government use it for an experiment. Gradually raise tariffs against that city and watch it prosper.


POOR stupid LIE-berals! Always trying to distract from their many monumental FAILURES!


The supply management system is the brain child OF LIE-BERALS! under Pierre Trudeau and its the usual LIE-beral thing- start with a reasonable idea and blow it up into madness!


The marketing idea was to give farmers back a little of the power that agribusiness and international food corporations had taken from them- farmers would join the "union" in the same way that an auto worker would join CAW!


But as mentioned- LIE-berals used it to reward their pals!



And of course LIE-berals could not run a chip truck at a profit- not even if you gave them the potatoes for FREE!



So the marketing boards have their virtues and their flaws! In the same way that Japanese agriculture has its virtues and its flaws as they struggle to keep some home grown food production so they are not tottally vulnerable to foreigners!


Very little in the way of fruits and vegetables are now produced in Canada- we are very vulnerable to foreign foos production problems- like if the big Quake hits California- how much food production will be affected- and how quickly will food shipments to Canada be curtailed!


California is already running out of water- in the next 50 years their food production could plummet to very low levels- with resulting market problems across ALL of North America- not just Canada!


A major earth quake might even allow some sea water to seep into the California ground water- rendering some of it unfit for drinking or agriculture........




But the BIG issue here- the LIE-beral elephant in the room is NATIONAL SECURITY! Trump is using trade vulnerability to hammer home his points about security issues!


Just because Cdns do not like listening to Trump slag Our idiot Boy PM- the closet Soviet supporting airhead- does NOT mena they are behind LIE-berals!


Cdns are unhappy about the vast swarms of illegals that are coming here!


Cdns are aware that the number of illegals is so large that LIE-berals have begun LYING about how many there are!


Cdns are aware that we live in a world of dangerous terrorist swine and they DO NOT AGREE with Our idiot Boy that returning Isis fighters "can be a powerful voice in the country"!


Cdns have no desire to attack anybody but they do want to see their military restored to a state wherre it CAN make an honest effort to defend Cdn sovereignty!


The majority of Cdns DO NOT subscribe to the "FCUK THE COPS" attitude that is so prevalent among silver spoon socialist airheads!


Cdns do NOT AGREE that our legal system should be handed over to anti white bigots simply because a drunken thief like Coulton Boushie got shot while robbing some farmer- who has had problems with drunken native thieves raiding his farm in the past!


LIE-berals are barking up the wrong tree if they think that picking a trade war with Trump will distract us from their disgraceful immigration policies and their support of white privilege propaganda!