Something Happened Recently to Make Society Stupid.

Jinentonix
+1
I don't know what, but it happened some time in the last 10 years.

1998: Don't get into a car with strangers.

2008: Don't meet strangers you met on the internet, alone.

2018: Use the internet to get a stranger to come pick you up in their car.

Johnnny
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
Social Media is what has happened.

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

Social Media is what has happened.

I'm sure that's part of it but there's got to be more going on than just that. There's a general dumbing down of society that surely can't be blamed solely on social media.

MHz
Hitch-hikers being abducted and raped and killed didn't start in AB until about 1975.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

I'm sure that's part of it but there's got to be more going on than just that. There's a general dumbing down of society that surely can't be blamed solely on social media.

Are you sure you have the story right, from 1900-1950 there was no way for 'readers' to chat. BBS sites, like this' changed that. When people talk the lies and facts tend to show up. In the past there was no challenge to 'the lies' like there is today so 'sheeple' is the right term. After 1950 people did get to chat about 'news articles' and not all stories were based on 'facts'. More and more of the stories are being fact checked by the readers. CNN would not have been called out for 'fake news' in 1950 yet the headlines are the same lies being told today.

That, by itself, would suggest your assessment is 'out to lunch' and social media today is exposing a lot more lies than it is trying to cover up. This place is an exception to that rule obviously.

Cliffy

petros
+1
Wtf???

Danbones
I guess it's "plate time" for cliffy.

I guess that's why they say one should always do 'shrooms on an empty stomach.

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

I guess it's "plate time" for cliffy.

I guess that's why they say one should always do 'shrooms on an empty stomach.

You know how they say, "eat before you go to the grocery store, that way you won't buy so much"? Yeah, that don't work for the liquor store. Go there drunk and you end up buying everything they've got. "Say, how much is that fifty-five gallon drum of rum right there?"