Trojan viruses on CanCon?

EagleSmack
Yesterday I signed on here twice and my Virus protection caught a few trojan viruses each time.

Does anyone have an idea of what happened?

earth_as_one
Mine too. In my anti-virus software reports this website as risky.

EagleSmack
After the second time I signed on I decided to give CanCon a rest for the day as it caught a total of 5 trojans viruses. I thought it was too risky as well.

I ran a scan and luckily my PC was clean and it seems all were caught.

#juan
I had a similar experience. My anti-virus software reported that it caught 5 trojan viruses. I've since scanned my computer twice and it seems to be clear now. The funny thing is that I had just finished re-installing my anti-virus software a half hour before.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

I had a similar experience. My anti-virus software reported that it caught 5 trojan viruses. I've since scanned my computer twice and it seems to be clear now. The funny thing is that I had just finished re-installing my anti-virus software a half hour before.

Lucky for you. Do you have auto-updates for your anti-virus?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Lucky for you. Do you have auto-updates for your anti-virus?

I'm using AVG 8.5. It updates itself every day or two at least.

Nuggler
I wanted to buy some, but the Trojans were all sold out.

Good luck, bad luck.

whut ken ya do.

EagleSmack

I have mine update every morning.

Do any of the Mods have any knowledge on what happened?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

I have mine update every morning.

Do any of the Mods have any knowledge on what happened?

At this point I don't know. I didn't report the problem when it happened but at the time I wasn't sure if I got it from Can Con or one of the links on the forums. I'll do some checking. Since my anti-virus caught everything I'm really brave now....

EagleSmack

At this point I don't know. I didn't report the problem when it happened but at the time I wasn't sure if I got it from Can Con or one of the links on the forums. I'll do some checking. Since my anti-virus caught everything I'm really brave now....

I got one as soon as I pulled up the page and a virus got caught. So I signed in and the anti-virus caught two more. I did not stick around after that.

I signed on later and it caught a couple more so I figured I would not be on CanCon for the rest of the day.

lone wolf
There is something really screwy in that log-in page....

DurkaDurka
I know my AV used to flag the site as housing trojans etc due to the freeware/sharware downloads available here, never seen any virus in the forums it self.

Ron in Regina
This is the first I've heard of this. I'll pop Andem a PM to read through this Thread.

VanIsle

I am set up the same as you Juan and I scan everyday in the wee hours. I was on a few times yesterday but never once had any warnings or any hint of a virus of any kind.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

I am set up the same as you Juan and I scan everyday in the wee hours. I was on a few times yesterday but never once had any warnings or any hint of a virus of any kind.

Just a few moments ago AVG produced quite a large update to the database....took it a few minutes to install.

AnnaG
I haven't noticed anything. AVG is on autoupdate and I just checked. there are no new updates.

Andem
It's definitely strange that an anti-virus program would report a web page to contain virii because it's simply not possible for a web page its self to contain a virus, just to link to a site which may contain them. I know CC was flagged by McAfee as linking to unwanted executable files, all of which links are removed when they are discovered.

The only other way a web site can contain a virus is if there are screwey advertisers involved of which Canadian Content is not involved. We do not third-party executable ad code onto any pages, nor have we ever!

If you do notice pop ups or anything suspicious on the site, let me know. You more than likely already have malware on your system which inserts ads and other unwanted malware directly into web pages of any type.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem View Post

It's definitely strange that an anti-virus program would report a web page to contain virii because it's simply not possible for a web page its self to contain a virus, just to link to a site which may contain them. I know CC was flagged by McAfee as linking to unwanted executable files, all of which links are removed when they are discovered.

The only other way a web site can contain a virus is if there are screwey advertisers involved of which Canadian Content is not involved. We do not third-party executable ad code onto any pages, nor have we ever!

If you do notice pop ups or anything suspicious on the site, let me know. You more than likely already have malware on your system which inserts ads and other unwanted malware directly into web pages of any type.

I just went through that bit. Everytime I used a browser I got popups and they even bypassed my popup protection. I went through about 6 or 7 processes to eliminate it. (If anyone is interested in it I can provide the processes. )

ironsides
I had the same problem also, but McAfee caught it. The virus seems to be gone now.

DaSleeper
Could it be that A V programs err on the side of security identifying a strange script as a virus.....I know that Norton...when you uninstall Teak UI will identify the uninstall program as a malicious script and prompt you if you want to use it anyway...

YukonJack
I have Microsoft Live One on my system. No problem.

AnnaG
Hopefully no-one gets an ornery sort like the one I got and their MacAfee, Norton , AVG, or whatever catches any that come around. I have a half dozen things protecting this thing, all have good reviews for what they do, but that one bug was a bitch.

YukonJack
AnnaG, both Norton and McAfee soaked me for additional pre-authorized credit card payment, long after I got rid of the useless bastards.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

AnnaG, both Norton and McAfee soaked me for additional pre-authorized credit card payment, long after I got rid of the useless bastards.

Yeah. I got rid of them, too. Both are unnecessarily huge programs, as well. We have AVG's paid version (It has more protection than the free one) and is just as good or better and doesn't use up near as much room in the pc. It's also noticeably cheaper than Mac or Nort.

ironsides
McAfee is a freebie with "Comcast" my cable provider.

It seemed the Trojan was just a tracking program someone tried attacking us with. Luckily our security programs blocked it. It was not a malicious virus.

DaSleeper
Both IE and Firefox on my PC are set not to accept third party cookies....maybe that's why I didn't get any alerts....

SirJosephPorter
I have been on the forum every day for the past few days and I have never encountered a Trojan Horse. And my anti-virus (Norton) is capable of detecting a Trojan Horse, it has done so on occasion.

I doubt if there was any Trojan Horse, I think what DaSleeper says makes sense. Some anti-virus software, if they cannot recognize a code, probably call it a virus, a Trojan horse or something like that.

But I have never had a problem with CC.;

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Could it be that A V programs err on the side of security identifying a strange script as a virus.....I know that Norton...when you uninstall Teak UI will identify the uninstall program as a malicious script and prompt you if you want to use it anyway...

I have heard that sometimes an AV program can give out a "false positive" reading. I know that this has happened with a video game or two that had been "Modded". The file, for whatever reason, was being diagnosed as being a Trojan even though there was nothing wrong with it at all. This has also happened if a game has copy protection that may cause a "false positive"(SecureRom copy protection, for example).

I am not saying this was the case for Eaglesmack, but it can show that sometimes that can happen.